Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IBOT closing down shop

IBOT closing down shop

Just got a FEDEX today. Said IBOT is ceasing to sell IBOTs as of Jan 2009. Very sad news.

Quote Originally Posted by ip View Post
    Just got a FEDEX today. Said IBOT is ceasing to sell IBOTs as of Jan 2009. Very sad news.
    This was inevitable, I suppose, given the cost and the unlikeliness of any significant insurance reimbursement. Yes, it is very sad news.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    This was inevitable, I suppose, given the cost and the unlikeliness of any significant insurance reimbursement.
    Yup, I'd blame it on those two things as well.

That really sucks for the people who have purchased one,where the hell are they suposse to get parts and service for this thing?

The letter said parts and service will go through 2013. The minimum required by law, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    That really sucks for the people who have purchased one,where the hell are they suposse to get parts and service for this thing?
    I don't know that it necessarily follows that servicing will no longer be available for the iBOT. First, it is distributed by Johnson & Johnson and I don't think they're going out of business anytime soon (though in this economy you never know). Secondly, the technology isn't disappearing. The iBOT and Segway are both the brainchild of inventor Dean Kaman and the Segway is not being discontinued. But if I owned an iBOT or was considering buying one, I would certainly call the manufacturer and find out this critical piece of information.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I don't know that it necessarily follows that servicing will no longer be available for the iBOT. First, it is distributed by Johnson & Johnson and I don't think they're going out of business anytime soon (though in this economy you never know). Secondly, the technology isn't disappearing. The iBOT and Segway are both the brainchild of inventor Dean Kaman and the Segway is not being discontinued. But if I owned an iBOT or was considering buying one, I would certainly call the manufacturer and find out this critical piece of information.
    As well as the Iglide. I loved that thing.
    And the truth shall set you free.

This isn't very surprising, I was hoping someday but oh well...
    Dave
    C5/C6 complete
    http://www.davegrotzinger.com
    http://www.daves-webdesign.com

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me guaranteed..." - Eddie Vedder

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
    As well as the Iglide. I loved that thing.
    The iGlide lives on in Next Mobility's Tailwind. In fact, they improved upon it.

Independence Technology has provided excellent ongoing support for the iGlide. Hopefully, they will do the same for the iBot.

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida/Mantoloking NJ
    Very sad. Another example of great technology that never found it's way to those that could use it. Price and the fact that J&J was never great at marketing chairs.

Be Big,
    Alan

One last time:

Now the Ibot is truly a "Unicorn"
    Last edited by Tarkus; 12-15-2008 at 10:59 PM.
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.