Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nortriptyline withdrawal?

Nortriptyline withdrawal?

I have been taking 10mg of Nortriptyline per day for nerve pain in my feet and ankles for about 6 months. Besides helping me sleep and making me constipated I don't think it helps and I would like to stop taking it. (I tried switching to Effexor, but the side effects were horrible so I stopped within days.)

Anyway, has anyone experienced Nortriptyline withdrawal at this low dose?

I also take 3600 mgs per day of Neurontin and it helps me a bit.

I took 20 mgs at night for 5 yrs. I went off it slowly within 2 weeks and experienced a lot of irritability and didn't sleep well. I had a lot of tension. It's been 2 months now and now I'm really fighting depression. I still don't sleep as well and I think have more pain (which is what it was prescribed for initially) although its always difficult for me to determine cause and effect of pain. On the positive side I am not as sleepy in the mornings. I'm trying to hang in there and see how it goes. I'm also on 300mg of Lyrica daily and I really wanted to reduce my meds somehow.

daktron and darla
    Do either of you know why you were given nortriptyline rather than Elavil?
    Thanks,
    Jon

Nope. I was started on it five years ago while in rehab. Is Elavil the more commonly prescribed one now?

I'm also on 300 mg Lyrica and want to find out what is the best thing to add if I want to take something more for pain. My pain goes up and down all the time and its hard to tell what makes it worse and what makes it better. I may go back on it because I was feeling and sleeping better before I went off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by darlagee22 View Post
    Nope. I was started on it five years ago while in rehab. Is Elavil the more commonly prescribed one now?

I'm also on 300 mg Lyrica and want to find out what is the best thing to add if I want to take something more for pain. My pain goes up and down all the time and its hard to tell what makes it worse and what makes it better
    Elavil and nortript are such similar drugs, I don't know if one is better than the other. If you took it for 5 years, I probably would go back to one that you know worked.
    It bothers me too that it is so difficult to assess neuropathic pain management because it does go up and down for no apparent reason. But, I think it is pretty well established that drugs like elavil and nortript do make a difference. I am sticking with elavil 25 mg at night which I have taken for 6 years plus my life saver drug, Lyrica 150 mg twice a day.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Elavil and nortript are such similar drugs, I don't know if one is better than the other. If you took it for 5 years, I probably would go back to one that you know worked.
    It bothers me too that it is so difficult to assess neuropathic pain management because it does go up and down for no apparent reason. But, I think it is pretty well established that drugs like elavil and nortript do make a difference. I am sticking with elavil 25 mg at night which I have taken for 6 years plus my life saver drug, Lyrica 150 mg twice a day.
    Jon,

I have neuropathic pain and have tried Lyrica in different dosages but had serious side effects the worse one being insomnia. I was taking 4 ambien 10 mg tablets w/no affect. I remember going days w/out sleep. My primary care physician sent me to his office for an injection of something that should have put me out but it didn't do anything to put me to sleep. I have also tried Neurotin w/no success. They have me on oxcarbazephine 300 mg 1x per day and that's not helping. I'm sure I have neuropathic pain because of the stiffness, burning, tightness in the chest, electrical pains, etc..

Narcotic pain medication (which I don't take anymore) didn't help. I trust you Jon, what types of medications will work for me. Any advise would be great!
    Brian

"God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, The courage to change the things we can, And the wisdom to know the difference."

Serenity Prayer

Brian,
    Thanks for your trust, but I can only say what has worked for me and that being a combination of lyrica and elavil. I haven't done the research as to what would be the next drug to try. I do use an occasional narcotic if the burning is high and that will work for me. If lyrica did give you insomnia, elavil has the opposite effect which is very nice. It makes you sleepy. If anything, people complain about morning foggyness or sleepiness.
    I really can't say anything about other medication, but I know they all have been mentioned in this forum.
    Good luck to you, Brian,
    Merry Christmas,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Brian,
    Thanks for your trust, but I can only say what has worked for me and that being a combination of lyrica and elavil. I haven't done the research as to what would be the next drug to try. I do use an occasional narcotic if the burning is high and that will work for me. If lyrica did give you insomnia, elavil has the opposite effect which is very nice. It makes you sleepy. If anything, people complain about morning foggyness or sleepiness.
    I really can't say anything about other medication, but I know they all have been mentioned in this forum.
    Good luck to you, Brian,
    Merry Christmas,
    Jon
    Thanks Jon,

I will ask my pain doctor about elavil. Merry Christmas to you and your family!
    Brian

"God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, The courage to change the things we can, And the wisdom to know the difference."

Serenity Prayer

I decided to go back on the nortripyline. After 2 months of more pain, worse sleep and depression setting in, someone asked me why I went off it and I realized its not worth it. I just wanted to be dependent on less medication and I didn't think it was doing anything at such a low dose. Now I know. I took it last night and already slept better. I'm glad, but it still bums me out

Hey Darla,
    You sound so much like me, it makes me smile. I am always looking for a way to take and be less dependent on meds. You have good spirit to try even though it didn't work with the nortript. I did the same attempt with the elavil and lyrica and came to the conclusion that I need them.
    I have recently been able to wean off Celebrex, a NSAID, so that was a blow for freedom.
    But now 7 years after this injury, I realize that the damaged peripheral nerves especially in incomplete paras will have neuropathic pain forever possibly.
    Don't be bummed out, it could be worse and nortript has been around along time and if it helps, take it and have the energy to keep working on your mobility....
    jon