Thread: Carbon Fiber Seating

Carbon Fiber Seating

I'm getting a new wheelchair and I want to change the fabric sling to carbon fiber. I know od ADI but are there any others?

http://www.physipro.com/produits.html (only in french)

Look at the Pro Lite and Pro Lite Sport, made in Sherbrooke, Qc. I have never tried or seen one in real but they can also customize it for you or have it molded. I don't know anything else.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Quote Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
    I'm getting a new wheelchair and I want to change the fabric sling to carbon fiber. I know od ADI but are there any others?
    Fubie,

I ordered my TiLite ZRc with an aluminum pan (they didn't offer a carbon fiber base back in '05; they may still not except for the limited edition Z10). Over time the aluminum began to sag and I wanted to replace it with a CF pan (3/8" thick). I commissioned DragonPlate to fabricate it (they make the CF pans for LasherSport) based on the original CAD drawings from TiLite. Don't remember the exact price, but it was around $350, which I was able to submit to my insurance for reimbursement.

I like having a solid seat base so this was a worthwhile upgrade. The CF laminate is exceptionally strong, so strong that I probably could have gotten the next thinner laminate and saved a few ounces and a couple of $$.

Oh, it mounts with 3 screws per side.

Thank you very much for your help. I'm familiar with Dragon Plate. I was making Carbon Fiber parts for R/C Nitro but the biz never panned out. Wow $350 eh? Ouch. Unfortunately I don't have insurance so I'll have to save for it over it a few months.
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
    Thank you very much for your help. I'm familiar with Dragon Plate. I was making Carbon Fiber parts for R/C Nitro but the biz never panned out. Wow $350 eh? Ouch. Unfortunately I don't have insurance so I'll have to save for it over it a few months.
    Thanks again.
    Stock sheets sell for less but custom work adds to the price. They have to program their own CAD drawings and the the cutting a drilling. On the other hand, if you just need the raw material you can provide it TiLite (or some other manufactuer) and have them cut and trim it to spec. That might possibly save you some cash.

Oops, I see that you are talking about the seat pan and not the backrest.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Fub,

If you're ordering a chair from TiLite, for instance, they can probably dimension the CF for you for less than Dragon.