Page 52 of 497 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162102152 ... LastLast

Thread: What workout did you do today?

Been struggling with a bug for a few weeks but finally feeling good again - 100k today including 48km road race. Getting pretty cold here to, probably nothing compared to some places, but getting out of bed to go riding at 5 in the morning, pitch black, with sub-zero (that degree C) temps can be a little uninspiring.

nobody working out this summer? got in 2.5hrs of singletrack on the one-off yesterday.......the flowers are rocking! Steve.

So I was doing arm curls last night. I had 50lbs to start with then I realized something, I was only feeling the burn in the right arm bicep and not the left. It leads me to believe that my right side is the weaker side now after SCI.

Hey everyone, good workouts : )
    I finally got back on the stationary bike yesterday, only 30min since I'm ramping up slowly after my foot burns.
    When I'm standing I can tell the hiatus make my legs weaker, but I'll get them strong again. Hopefully I'll be back to substantial AFO standing and walking in the next few weeks. 'might go swimming this weekend

Hi Everyone.
    I thought I would post after quite a hiatus. My shoulder has settled down after 7 weeks of rest from nordic season (64 days) and I started handcycling this week and nothing hurts. Yay... Ramping it up and paying my early season dues. Want to get up to 2 hour rides.
    Been crutch walking almost daily. And throwing in elliptical trainer for a half hour here and there. I did crutch walk a lot over my 7 weeks of shoulder rest . I think anything where my elbow is near my side is okay.
    Saw the UCSF spine doc for my one year post revision spine surgery with fusion from T11 to my sacrum from a posterior and anterior approach check up. Xrays look great, very good fusion forming. Yay... He said if a train crashed through the exam room, the only thing that wouldn't break would be my fused back. So it is solid says he.
    So, I think the summer goals will be to ramp up handcycling to 12 hours a week and crutch walk for about 10 hours a week.
    Good job TMAZ, L2R, Garro, Pararich, Lief, Cave. Keep it up!

Still going strong and gradually ramping up the hours on the bike again so its 6 days a week on the bike around 2-3 hours most days with a mix of hill reps, flat intense rides, longer hilly rides and have started doing an indoor computrainer session once a week.
    I'm not really into indoor RPM or other classes, but this session is pretty cool. 8 of us do it - basically a group of cyclists and friends incl. a one legged cyclist, a vision impaired cyclist, a couple of ex-olympic rowers and some pretty gun mountain bikers. The beauty is, we all get hooked in together to a computer that simulates a race (varies resistance with the course profile), handicap 'weights' can be applied to even every one up, and then we 'race', watching our little symbol along the course against everyone else's. Real bikes on stationary resistant trainers. Great fun and really get the HR up.
    Only possible spanner in the works at the moment is a nasty looking bruise/sore developing on my heel and under my big toe..... can't get in to see the doctor for at least another week so just watching and hoping it doesn't get any worse at the moment. On the plus side, my PhD has been extended for 6 months so the pressure on thesis writing is off for a little bit while I prepare for world paracycling championships in Italy in September.

i havent been keeping my posts current, crazy busy w/ nice weather. workouts still strong, i do less cardio in the summer because i do 1-2 miles of pushing at least 4 mornings a week, so i cut my cardio down to 20-30 min eod. i switch my lifts up between 5x5 and 20x4 in the summer.
    i finally am happy where my weight is so im just maintaining now, after trying to gain for 2 years after dropping 50 while sick w/ staph. i eat a very high protein diet. to maintain i just cut my carbs back a bit. im doing around 3500 fairly clean cals per day. leveled off around 195 at 6'2.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    i havent been keeping my posts current, crazy busy w/ nice weather. workouts still strong, i do less cardio in the summer because i do 1-2 miles of pushing at least 4 mornings a week, so i cut my cardio down to 20-30 min eod. i switch my lifts up between 5x5 and 20x4 in the summer.
    i finally am happy where my weight is so im just maintaining now, after trying to gain for 2 years after dropping 50 while sick w/ staph. i eat a very high protein diet. to maintain i just cut my carbs back a bit. im doing around 3500 fairly clean cals per day. leveled off around 195 at 6'2.
    I find it hard to believe that you burn 3500 calories a day. Professional athletes burn ~4000 but they do LOTS of work. Some extreme athletes can burn outrageous numbers like 8000 or higher but they work out like army mules. Pushing a wheelchair 1-2 miles a day doesn't burn very many calories. I think an able-bodied person who walks those 1-2 miles burn more.

An able-bodied male probably burns more calories in one of his quadriceps alone than you probably do in all of your upper body.

How many pounds of muscle do you estimate you're servicing with all of those calories?

Exercise is very important but be careful. Read the New Consumer Guide on Prevention of Shoulder Problems in SCI. I recently lost both my left deltoid and left biceps muscles. Totally lost them (motor, sensory is fine) as they atrophied away to nothing making a "triplegic" outta me. The muscles are coming back now but it appears as though it will take quite a bit more PT, exercise and time. I'll write about it in depth when I get it all figured out.

I was also diagnosed as having carpal tunnel in both arms/wrists. My good arm, the right, is so bad that the EMG tech, out of disbelief, had to run the test 3 times.

Pushing wheelchairs and transferring are very unnatural functions and can really put a hurtin' on us. And I would think it's a lot worse for quads due to the uneven distribution of muscle in the shoulders, arms and hands. Be careful or you'll be painfully pushing your chair in circles.

Yeah, Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days Of Summer.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

sorry to hear about your issues bob. yah 3500 sometimes more. something happened to my metabolism. it has went kinda crazy.
    if/when i slow down ill cut my calories down, but for now i go full tilt all the time. i dont get sick and am in perfect health. just had a checkup last mth, full blood work, liver and everything. perfect.. so whatever i have been doing obviously works.

best of luck, enjoy this gorgeous summer.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Damn it! This all sounds so good. You all have motivated me to joining my PT's gym. I live in a Motorhome so no room for equipment besides I can't afford it but my PT said I could pay $33.00 a month and have all the time I want in the therapy room. I am going to do it no matter what. I know how much better I felt when I was excercising. My surgery isn't for 6 months so what am I waiting for??? Thanks guys, you got me moving!!!
    http://brinaesau.blogspot.com

Without change, there would be no butterflies.