Thread: What workout did you do today?

Quote Originally Posted by truly View Post
    Hung out laundry yesterday. Okay, wouldn't even register in most people's book but required three trips to the basement, then hauling a heavy bag of laundry upstairs, getting the laundry line hung and tightened and then hanging laundry with crazy balance. These days, I'm doing most everything the ABs do, but requiring a lot more effort. It's just not report-worthy compared to the amazing things you all manage. Even though I don't post much, I still enjoy keeping up with everyone.

how in the world do you do that?

Just moved to CO last month, but I've been trying to get out and get used to the altitude and non cement flat surfaces I am used to from Texas. Yesterday was a short roll, but it felt great. Can't wait to get up in the Mountains or get a One-Off bike or sometime similar, but first things is just getting in shape for it. Steve please don't stop posting, you were an inspiration a few years ago when I was on here daily and it's great to still see your adventures and those amazing bikes you build.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Used to be known as TexasWheelz, but lost my email it was connected to and just recently moved to Colorado and trying to spend more time on here again.

Say it ain't SO, garro ... although I follow you on FB we need your push here as well. Arndog, too.You guys have kept me going!

I think what kinda happens is we are all struggling with different levels of injury and so it can feel at times like we are bragging or lagging, depending on our level of return. For me, even though I am weak, have poor balance, am always in pain, and have all kinds of neuro weirdness I know I am the rarity in that I can ride a bike, walk, push a mower and stumble around in rivers fly-fishing. I hesitate reporting what I'm doing because it may discourage others.

OTH, I'm thankful that cajun posts on here because he inspires me to keep pushing on the bike.

I'm amazed at how people like Katja, Truly and Garro work jobs, yet do all kinds of other stuff...that tells me that I can do likewise.

I coud mention others, but you get the picture.

So...screw the comparisons, lets keep posting.

We have terrible smoke in the Northwest right now. Makes it almost suicidal to do anything outdoors.

But I have done the following recently:

1. Flew to San Jose, CA. Rented a car. Drove 3 hours in CA traffic. That's a workout! Attended family wedding in Cambria, CA. Went sea kayaking with my brother in law. First time ever. Paddled 4 miles. That was a blast.
    2. Still biking. Last Friday I was out riding in awful smoke, then it rained, so I quit. Rain was short lived though. Next day was much clearer and was able to do 25 miles on the Trail of the Couer d Alenes.
    3. Last week enjoyed my first camping trip since my injury. Loaded up the truck. Drove 3 and a half hours to the Lachsa River. Stumbled around in that tough to wade river because of the bowling ball type rocks and jagged granite boulder. Yuk. Almost went down in a rapid due to spasticity and fear. But the fishing was good. Caught over 15 cutties. No bears in camp. But tons of smoke. Felt like I was fishing in a BBQ.

Need to mow the lawn, but reluctant to go out in the smoke.

Hopefully some pictures will attach... In clockwise order: 1) The old man and the smoky river 2) View from campsite 3) 17" fat, scrappy cut 4) kayaking out of Cayucas in Central CA.
    CCS/Walking Quad

Quote Originally Posted by Revis View Post
    Say it ain't SO, garro ... although I follow you on FB we need your push here as well.

I think what kinda happens is we are all struggling with different levels of injury and so it can feel at times like we are bragging or lagging, depending on our level of return. For me, even though I am weak, have poor balance, am always in pain, and have all kinds of neuro weirdness I know I am the rarity in that I can ride a bike, walk, push a mower and stumble around in rivers fly-fishing. I hesitate reporting what I'm doing because it may discourage others.
    Everyone - I AM A TOTAL SHIT-SHOW!

If you all knew just how jacked up I am………….but if I don't do things, well then it's me & the dog watching TV waiting for the Mrs to come home.

And damn nice 'cutt, Man!

I don't post here often but I do like to check in and see how everyone keeps active! I hope the thread keeps going. I am one of the lucky ones who has had a nice recovery and fortunately I keep pushing and improving 14 years post. Here's some pics from recent adventures...

Zion Narrows

Observation Point - Zion

GMR Ride

Kalalau Trail - Kauai

I have no photos but did 45 minutes of yoga yesterday and 45 mins on the treadmill today. Hit a milestone today. Was able to get up off the floor, into a standing position without holding on to anything, even my hiking poles. Woot!

Just got back from Crested Butte, CO where I took part in the 2015 Off Road Handbiking Championships. Three events; hill climb, XC and downhill. What a great event and people and scenery! I was in the ebike class where we quads cranked along side of the "young paras"! It's hard to breath at 10,000 ft!

Jake O'Connor was impressive in the downhill just smoked everyone! Drew Wills won the hill climb and Seth Arsenaux (Sp?) won the XC. I won the ebike class, but I think my highlight was finishing 5th OA in the XC race! I finished 1 sec ahead of my friend "young para" David Poole!

Pic at the finish line of hill climb.

Pat

Beautiful pictures of wonderful places to be outdoors, gvinton. It's great to hear from you again. Early on your story of making significant progress gave me hope. I'm glad to hear that you are still making progress 14 years later. Nice beard, too!
    CCS/Walking Quad

Quote Originally Posted by truly View Post
    I have no photos but did 45 minutes of yoga yesterday and 45 mins on the treadmill today. Hit a milestone today. Was able to get up off the floor, into a standing position without holding on to anything, even my hiking poles. Woot!
    That is really awesome progress, truly. ​Thanks for sharing it with us!
    CCS/Walking Quad

First the explanation: I have a fairly high maintenance yard which is both a bad thing and a good thing. The good thing is that I do enjoy working in it and that work provides a measured exercise without overdoing which I have been severely warned against. The bad thing is of course the yard outruns me. I wanted to show some severe and dramatic pruning I did but without "before" pictures, there was no drama. However today I weeded 3pm to 7pm. This time I flopped myself off the chair and dragged my ass around to where the action was using a spade to loosen the soil. I'd shake the weeds free and store them in a garbage can lid until it got full, then flip it into the can. Today I collected one full can, musta been small weeds. But it was a workout for me and I feel better now than I did this morning. It really is a workout. Just getting my arse back into the chair is a chore.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.