Thread: What workout did you do today?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan F View Post
    Lately seems like I have one set of physical issues after another - SI joint strain that flattened me for about a week 2 months ago. Various other neck and back pain flare ups. They all usually seem self limited, but I always worry that one day one will be a sign of some inexorable decline.
    I'm there with you.

I wish I hadn't been so stubborn about using crutches everywhere for 6yrs as it jacked me up but good.

Paras always have a period of healing for a few years, an unknown plateau time, and a slow decline.

It's fair to say that I'm at the edge of my plateau if not declining.

I have to think out everything I do, and try not to get injured - I think out every little thing………..and spend considerable time healing and being injured - I bet I'm injured maybe 1/3 of the year at some level.

Hell……….I guess we are all injured 24-7-365 really……..

Dan, good to see you up and about. Starting to get back to where you think you should be can feel like the start of a very long uphill. I broke my clavicle, scapula and a pile of ribs at the end of June and I got out of hospital last Thursday after five weeks of putting no weight on my right shoulder. At the moment I have to carefully plan every transfer from bed to chair and chair to car and then execute with such caution to avoid pain. If I sit up too long my shoulder starts to really complain. At the moment it feels like an insurmountable obstacle but by the end of August I intend to be back on my bike. On Sunday I pushed a kilometre in my chair on the flat and at the end I knew about it but it was a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan F View Post
    Attachment 57322Attachment 57323Thanks Katya. Enjoyed seeing your rowing shots. Years ago I remember sailing a Sunfish on Boulder Reservoir.

Here are a few more shots from South Carolina. My wife and I went for a ride along the Kiawah River and marsh.
    That's a very cool looking trike, Dan F. What model is it? Is it hard to keep your head in an upright position without a head rest? In spite of your injuries you are getting in some miles. I'm impressed that you can crutch walk after riding 2 hours. That shows your determination.

This whole thing about when one plateaus after the initial SCI is a mystery, isn't it? I mean I would be declining anyway since I'm now 64, although prior to my accident I was still doing all the fun things I had always enjoyed, but my strength and endurance wasn't equal to my early 50s or late 40s, that's for sure...Anyway, I think we are all better for erring on the pushing side rather than throwing in the towel, in spite of injuries, etc.

I've been on a sabbatical leave for 3 months, so that's given me extra time for activities. Of late I've been riding a lot, both road bike and electric assist mtn biking. Typical road bike ride is 20 to 30 miles, although I recently did a 46 mile trek on a local flat bike path. E-bike rides are in the 16 to 20 mile range. On the days I don't ride I walk/jog between 2 miles and 2.5. Plus, I'm catching up with projects around the house, including the weekly mow/edge/blow the lawn ordeal...the equivalent of 1.35 miles according to my gps. So, here's my take, I'm not making any major progress at 4.5 years later, but I think there is some very slight improvement that is happening. Maybe I'm fooling myself, but I don't think I am. Well, keep up the activities everyone.
    CCS/Walking Quad

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Dan, good to see you up and about. Starting to get back to where you think you should be can feel like the start of a very long uphill. I broke my clavicle, scapula and a pile of ribs at the end of June and I got out of hospital last Thursday after five weeks of putting no weight on my right shoulder. At the moment I have to carefully plan every transfer from bed to chair and chair to car and then execute with such caution to avoid pain. If I sit up too long my shoulder starts to really complain. At the moment it feels like an insurmountable obstacle but by the end of August I intend to be back on my bike. On Sunday I pushed a kilometre in my chair on the flat and at the end I knew about it but it was a start.
    Heal Quick!

What got you, bike or car?

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Heal Quick!

What got you, bike or car?
    Just a small bumb in the road and my foot bounced out of the footrest on my road bike . My bike tripped over my foot and at the bottom of a hill when you are doing about 30mph the road feels hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Just a small bumb in the road and my foot bounced out of the footrest on my road bike . My bike tripped over my foot and at the bottom of a hill when you are doing about 30mph the road feels hard.
    I did just that on a mountain bike as an AB = cracked my damn sternum - heal well & quick!

Name:  IMG_8843.JPG
Views: 199
Size:  178.6 KB

Got some good rides in lately, about 7-8hrs total

The photos that you post are always spectacular. Thanks. I hope your rides are as pretty as your photos.
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

Adrian - sorry man. Sounds like you got popped pretty good. However, your resilience is obviously documented in your posts here; I'm sure you'll be back at it soon.

Revis- that trike is an ICE Sprint RSX. It's great for traveling because it folds.

The injury/pain issue is true for all of us. I'm sure it's largely due to the significant accommodating we have to do to keep our gimpish bodies in motion. All of that unbalanced work is bound to cause some problems. But like you guys, I can't imagine just sitting around. I'd be a physical, emotional, and psychological wreck.

As always, your pictures and rides look amazing Steve.