Thread: What workout did you do today?

Hey everyone. i have been quiet for awhile, but still doing stuff and enjoying reading your posts. I'm getting into the gym anywhere from 2 to 3 times a week working on upper body primarily. Have been walking some, hiking a little and also getting out on the bike(s) when weather permits.

Something new...this week I bought an electric-assist mountain bike. I've struggled getting back enough power to mtn bike on my local mountain, which is right in front of my house. The trail systems starts just 3 blocks away, literally. I've worked at improving my climbing, but it just wears me out. The climb up starts immediately. I've had to sit a bunch until I can get up to the more cross-country oriented trails, which is around 1,500 feet elevation climbing, or more. Top of the mountain from my house is about 2,000 in elevation gain. It's not a big mountain, but plenty steep. By the time I arrive at cross-country trails I'm so tired I've lost about 50% of my ability to control the bike, which isn't smart especially single-track descents. So, I have investigated the new electric assist mountain bikes and decided to purchase a Felt Dual-e 10. It's an amazing machine. Just got it this week. I've been out twice on it, and its amazing the power assist it provides. The power only kicks in when pedaling, so I get exercise and a lift going up the mountain. Coming down the mountain I just turn it off. Our local trails are mixed use with dirt bikes, mtn bikes, hikers and horses all sharing the trails. So, this works for me and now I'll be able to enjoy my mountain again. I've very excited about this, and for those who can control a regular bike this is an option I would recommend.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Revis; 04-10-2015 at 05:27 PM.
    CCS/Walking Quad

Posting two more pictures from yesterday's ride. (I really wasn't upside down, but can't get the picture to turn no matter what I've attempted to correct it, and I can't delete this post...frustrating!)

Attachment 56822Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  34.1 KB
    Last edited by Revis; 04-10-2015 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Can't get the upside down picture turned, frustrating program.

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    I've fallen out of almost any watercraft you can think of!

For 'Us" a modified scramble rescue works best - get up on the kayak, plant your butt in the cockpit (that has a funny ring) and it will cup you in place, then get your feet in one at a time, and always keep hold of your paddle!

Best scenario is to have someone else either buddy up to you for greater stability, or google T-rescue

http://www.neckykayaks.com/tips_tech...e_self_rescue/
    That's kinda what I was picturing in my head but I couldn't figure out how I was going to get my feet in if my butt was already in... I guess the only way to figure it out is to get out there and try doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    If I need to get back into my kaya from the water, I raft up my kayak with another one and get between my kayak and the other one. I get them to lift my feet into my kayak with the rest of me still in the water and then with one hand on my boat and one on theirs it is not too difficult to lift myself back into my kayak.
    This sounds completely doable. Thanks. I probably wouldn't go out too often by myself anyway. I just like to be prepared for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee1 View Post
    That's kinda what I was picturing in my head but I couldn't figure out how I was going to get my feet in if my butt was already in...
    Wiggle & shove!

Quote Originally Posted by Revis View Post
    Hey everyone. i have been quiet for awhile, but still doing stuff and enjoying reading your posts. I'm getting into the gym anywhere from 2 to 3 times a week working on upper body primarily. Have been walking some, hiking a little and also getting out on the bike(s) when weather permits.

Something new...this week I bought an electric-assist mountain bike. I've struggled getting back enough power to mtn bike on my local mountain, which is right in front of my house. The trail systems starts just 3 blocks away, literally. I've worked at improving my climbing, but it just wears me out. The climb up starts immediately. I've had to sit a bunch until I can get up to the more cross-country oriented trails, which is around 1,500 feet elevation climbing, or more. Top of the mountain from my house is about 2,000 in elevation gain. It's not a big mountain, but plenty steep. By the time I arrive at cross-country trails I'm so tired I've lost about 50% of my ability to control the bike, which isn't smart especially single-track descents. So, I have investigated the new electric assist mountain bikes and decided to purchase a Felt Dual-e 10. It's an amazing machine. Just got it this week. I've been out twice on it, and its amazing the power assist it provides. The power only kicks in when pedaling, so I get exercise and a lift going up the mountain. Coming down the mountain I just turn it off. Our local trails are mixed use with dirt bikes, mtn bikes, hikers and horses all sharing the trails. So, this works for me and now I'll be able to enjoy my mountain again. I've very excited about this, and for those who can control a regular bike this is an option I would recommend.
    Way to go Revis, what a great way to be able to ride your local trails. That's a nice setup with the chain drive, that way the motor gets the benefit of your regular gear shifting, and leaves lots of room for a big cluster on the back wheel. Hey if you meet some nice mountain bikes on the trail, now you can ride with them and BS some. When we are out ridding sometimes a racer type will go flying by, and of course I catch up with them, just to say hi.

While you were out ridding your local trails I was sitting on my butt, scraping up old tile, getting a hard workout, redoing my kitchen floor. But did get a nice 3 hour ride with friends while waiting for the primer to dry. (Makes the new tile stick better)

Attachment 56828
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Nice addition, Revis! If it helps you enjoy the ride, I'm all for it. We need to quit comparing ourselves to ABs or to how we used to be. It's about enjoying life and any way you gotta do that is fair game.

Name:  IMG_7730.JPG
Views: 298
Size:  187.0 KB

Got out on a 3.5hr bike ride

Name:  IMG_7786.JPG
Views: 275
Size:  188.2 KB

Another tough 3.5 hrs out

SW Colorado---chair user from nerve disorder
    I have been going out on the paved bike path in my chair, working up to maybe someday getting a handcycle. Exercise is something I blew off for over a year, and now I am trying to do it for real and make it stick. Today I turned dirt with a digging fork for an hour or so....I am going to be sooooo sore....perfect for my adapted fitness class tomorrow How much ibuprophen is safe? Ha ha.....no really....

are you guys para's steve love the pictures