Thread: What workout did you do today?

That sounds like fun sailing, and yes its usually a workout moving your self around with your arm.

Well this is not as much fun but it was a really exhausting day anyway. After mowing over a dip in the grass, and coming around again to see the ground had disappeared into the old septic tank it was time for a new one. Kind of the wrong time of year for digging but what can you do. Have never been so dirty since my injury, crawling around in the mud, and up and down onto my backhoe I don't know how many times. Hammer drilled a 4 inch hole through my 8 inch concrete wall, what fun, but at least I could take a shower at the end of the day.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Flying, no doubt, you are a wild man! That looks like a ton of work. I can't even imagine!
    CCS/Walking Quad

Very nice adventure and workout, Adrian. Thanks for telling us about it. Would love to see a picture.
    CCS/Walking Quad

Hi flying, revis, adrian.
    Flying - you are a stud. That is bad ass and probable beat you up a bit. But what else are supposed to do? Sit around inside and start at the ceiling?
    Adrian - pictures would be great.
    Me, Mark Wellman (32 year paraplegic) and another friend (Hank - Garro met and paddled with him - good friend of mine) did a 50 mile Tahoe paddle that was 2 days and one nighter, in the full moon just two days ago. Lake Tahoe was glassy - Like a mirror.
    A few pictures to follow- we were worried about a wind event so we left at 4 am and paddled across the lake (10 miles) before hitting the east shore and heading back to the car before the wind whipped up. It was cosmic to paddle at night with a full moon there. Makes all the SCI bullshit worth it (at least for a few hours of joy and glory).
    Name:  IMG_0677.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  629.3 KB

more pictures.
    Moonset - 2 days ago.
    Wellman in front of "whale rock" It has a tail and an eye and looks like a whale, hence the name?..

does posting pictures to be visualized in the post not work with Safari browser? I need help if anyone could guide me. I guess I could try on Chrome or Firefox…..

arndog-Thanks for the nice photos. It looks like a special time.

I recently had my first post-SCI boating. My left arm is uncoordinated, unable to handle a walking stick, and I wondered how lefty would do paddling. My wife and I canoed Crystal River in FL, with me in the less critical front position, and it went OK. We started out paddling upriver against a mild current, and I could move us by myself. Hallelujah! It's a pretty river, one of Florida's many spring-sourced rivers.
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

Love seeing the pictures. Keep posting. Flying - that was one hell of a job and workout.

I'm continuing to do personal training in the pool. Trying some quasi plyometric exercises: jumping, skiing motions, jumping jacks. If only it would translate to dryland. I figure if I keep at it, some of it should.

Having some hip pain. I think all of the accommodative/compensatory motion I do probably isn't mechanically friendly to my hips. Taking a steroid taper right now. Hope don't have to go too much further down this path. Anyone with similar issues?
    Last edited by Dan F; 03-18-2014 at 08:52 PM.

Fantastic pictures, Andog, and what a cool adventure. I really appreciate that you continue to share these with us. Being out at night on Lake Tahoe under a full moon and glassy water must be like a dream. I can only imagine how cool that is. That's a great way to be distracted from the SCI crud. I'm strongly tempted to do the kayak thing in some form. Have also wondered about a drift boat, but sounds like a lot of work.

Congrats, Cajun, to the first time canoeing...glad you were able to give some forward motion to the joint effort. Crystal River looks like a fun place for an adventure. I've floated Ichetucknee River north of Gainsville two or three times in my pre-sci days. I spent the entire trip with my head in the water (with snorkel gear) watching the bass, bluegill and grass...incredibly clear, cool water. How long have you been in FL. I was in St. Cloud just 3 weeks ago and will be there again in late April.

Dan F, have you checked out your hip pain with a PT guy by any chance? I had some hip pain that simply turned out to be bursitis. It hurt, but there are simple exercises that can relieve the pain and even heal it. Not saying that's what you got, but might be worth double checking. I think its very cool you're doing the plyometric exercises in the pool. Hope that results in improvement on dry land. Sure can't hurt.

Two weeks ago I had a killer cold that shut me down for 7 days. Hate how sci magnifies the symptoms. Since then I've been trying to walk 2 miles every day in addition to work. Was able to ski powder again this last Monday. We had 4 to 5 inches of fresh pow over voodoo shapes. Wore me out quicker than normal, but managed to ski everything on the hill including the trees. My right leg is still freezing up on me around the 15th and 16th runs. Feet are half numb. Lots of burning pain in both legs driving home. When I get a chance I'll resize a picture and post it.
    CCS/Walking Quad

Revis-Hi Charles, We were in FL for a month, almost exclusively in Clearwater. We left about a month ago and in LA for a few months now. The bike trails in FL were great. There was a 55 mile long trail two miles from our condo and three long trails within an hours drives. These were all Rails-to-Trails, very nice and smooth. Pre-SCI I had also swam in the spring fed rivers, great fun.

it's fantastic that you can ski powder, and 16 runs sounds like a lot. I can imagine that it would be hard not to overdo the fun.

Cheers
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010