Thread: What workout did you do today?

Still here. Still keeping to the routine. Hate the winter - cold, wet, frozen, minimal daylight. Nevertheless, not planning to move to Florida yet.

I did recently start using a new trike. My ICE Sprint RSX has a smaller back wheel which allows for faster acceleration and climbing. It also has a higher seat angle which gives my spastic legs a bit more power on the pedal stroke. The trike folds which makes traveling a lot easier. Unfortunately can't get out as much this time of year.

I am working with a new trainer. Getting a new perspective is helpful. Recently tried a yoga class - had been doing yoga on my own, but the class was good, kept up better than I might have thought.

Steve - the pictures from Baja were really gorgeous. Never knew it was such an expansive looking place. Looks like it was an unforgettable trip. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Good to hear from you, Dan F and Katja. Winter is tough, just as you say, Dan. When I leave my office the damp, cold and dark just about do me in...I stiffen up and hurt. No fun at all. Katja, glad to know you are still competing. Very impressive. Dan, I like the sounds of your folding trike. I remember you had posted about it earlier. Sounds like a very nice machine. Is yoga helping you with core strength, and more? What about spasticity?

I think yoga does help with core strength, also with balance and flexibility. I think it helps some with spasticity, but not as much as I would like. If I could find the antidote for increased tone/stiffness and spasticity, I'd be in pretty good shape.

Revis - the skiing sounds great. It's interesting that that feels more natural than walking now. I've had that type of experience to some extent - riding the trike, rowing on the rowing machine, kayaking - all of these feel more natural than walking.

Would love to get out to Coeur D'Alene sometime - the bike trail looks awesome.

Dan F, thanks for the reply. Maybe I should check out yoga for myself. I know Cajun engages in some yoga which he's learned from his daughter and from online videos. I'm with you about the tone/stiffness and spasticity. That's what screws me up even though I can move everything. My right leg is weaker than my left. My right toes are more numb than my left. So, when that leg decides to go weird then I struggle more. Plus, just standing causes my upper middle back, shoulders, upper arms and neck to have all kinds of tingling pain, numbness, stiffness and fatigue.

It's interesting that you've had some similar sensation about those activities feeling more natural than walking, too. I really should try kayaking. Maybe this coming summer.

Do you plan to ski this year?

BTW, if you ever get the chance to come this way I will be your guide to the bike trails. That would be fun.

Hi everyone, I'm still around but have trouble with the mobile version of the site so I can't check in as much these days. Revis, I encourage you to give yoga a try. There is also a lot of value in Pilates for the core strengthening aspect. Both also help with stress and endurance...and balance. You might want to take a class or engage a personal trainer to help you get the positions right. I enjoy both of the disciplines and they've helped me a lot. I don't have trouble with spactisity but stiffness and flexibility are problems for me. After doing some good yoga, I feel a lot better. Winter has set in for sure. Lots of ice and snow already. Blah! Stay positive,and strong, everyone!

Hi everyone, I'm still around but have trouble with the mobile version of the site so I can't check in as much these days. Revis, I encourage you to give yoga a try. There is also a lot of value in Pilates for the core strengthening aspect. Both also help with stress and endurance...and balance. You might want to take a class or engage a personal trainer to help you get the positions right. I enjoy both of the disciplines and they've helped me a lot. I don't have trouble with spactisity but stiffness and flexibility are problems for me. After doing some good yoga, I feel a lot better. Winter has set in for sure. Lots of ice and snow already. Blah! Stay positive,and strong, everyone!

We have come out of our deep freeze and temps are in the 50s and 60s until tomorrow, so I brought the racing chair to work and will go for a push at lunch time.

I too share your frustration with the site , Truly.. I have given up. Too bad. What a great resource, comforting place this has been all these years. What a shame. Everyone - stay in shape. This SCI is bad enough - don't gain weight.

Don't give up on the site, guys. It"s harder but not impossible. I have hopes that things will get sorted out. I miss our absent thread buddies and hope they find their way back. In the meantime, I'll try to figure out how to post this only once! :)

Hi Guys, I'm still here as well with this frustrating site. Steve what a great trip you had, thanks for the pictures. Arndog looking good on the supper cold lake. Glad to read that everyone is keeping up with moving and grooving and trying to get the most out of this life as we can. We have had a very dry fall, so I've been riding almost every day on one bike or the other. Still getting bits of return that I work to death, and still dealing with this neuro pain. I can stand up with my hips leaning on the couch and my arms at my side for a few minuets at a time, and wow it feels so good. Its like I can relax my hole body for a time, what a relief. Stay with it everyone.