Thread: What workout did you do today?

I did a 10K here in town (third weekend racing in a row). It was fun and friendly, with a fair amount of up and down. Everything was great until I crossed the finish line and ran over the bases of the stanchions they had marking the chutes for the runners, and taco-ed one of my wheels. :-(

Just got back from the bike shop, and it can't be fixed. I'm going to try to get my spare wheels (kindly given to me by another racer) fitted up by next week's Father's Day race.

Katja - that must have been quite the sight. Glad you are okay. You can replace the wheel.
    Today was the Mark Wellman Adventure Day in beautiful (not) downtown Sparks, Nevada. It is a good event with hand cycles, sailing, kayaking, "climbing" up a artificial wall, and generally good vibe.
    I hung out with my new boating bro's. Tried out my new favorite kayak, a 13 ft NW "sportee". Rudderless, skegless - great boat that I am going to baby sit this summer for my friend who is headed for Japan with a Feathercraft folding kayak.
    This little boat is capable, not slow, tracks well enough, great secondary stability and only lacks hull speed but I think this is all the boat I will need 90% of the time anywhere. There is no front bulkhead and I can deflate the floatation bag, slide my 41 inch crutches in and reinflate the airbag.

I am over 'the longer the better' thing. All it takes is some punishing wind to cure that condition.
    { That being said, I am still pursuing getting a hand control rudder on this Seda Glider which is an old classic giant long boat 19.5 feet. If it works, it might be a blast too.}

Weeded the gardens all afternoon (aka goga), 46 minutes of Leslie Sansone cardio, 300 ab crunches and a half hour of stretches to make things right again.

I've been storing and using a friend's kayak for years and she's now taken it home to Montana. It's a 10 footer and I got so spoiled because I could fit it in my Forester with just a little hanging out the back. I'm considering sticking with a short boat for the convenience and lighter weight even though the longer ones maneuver better. I'll just be taking it on inland lakes and lazy rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by truly View Post
    It's a 10 footer and I got so spoiled because I could fit it in my Forester with just a little hanging out the back. I'm considering sticking with a short boat for the convenience and lighter weight even though the longer ones maneuver better. I'll just be taking it on inland lakes and lazy rivers.
    I just got a barely used 10' Old Town kayak for just what you say & it's great = $280.00 with a trailer, a paddle & a PFD!
    Are you in WI?
    Going to be there in a few weeks boating.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Tried out my new favorite kayak, a 13 ft NW "sportee". Rudderless, skegless - great boat that I am going to baby sit this summer for my friend who is headed for Japan with a Feathercraft folding kayak.
    This little boat is capable, not slow, tracks well enough, great secondary stability and only lacks hull speed but I think this is all the boat I will need 90% of the time anywhere.
    A 14' Necky sea kayak is my go-to for anything but shallow SW creeks (Duckie)
    Pretty versatile.
    When we go multi day camping however we have a 17'+ Longhaul Mark II folding kayak - it's so awesome.

When you guy's go kayaking, do you use a special cushion to sit on?

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    I just got a barely used 10' Old Town kayak for just what you say & it's great = $280.00 with a trailer, a paddle & a PFD!
    Are you in WI?

Going to be there in a few weeks boating.
    Yeah, Steve, I was looking at Old Towns actually. I'm in WI....Milwaukee area. Can you send a pic when you get a chance?

Long work day today and just managed 45 minutes of tread milling. I've had weird desires to push heavy things lately...like pushing a heavy box across a concrete floor. Today, I put the TM on 10% grade and slow speed and pushed against gravity. Don't know what to think of it. Some new SCI weirdness that will never be explained.

therainman - it is like any other seat for sports - you have to be totally careful about seating and skin protection. The trick is not to loose contact with the boat which is how power is transferred into forward motion. Especially with people who can't push back on the seatback with your feet. The other issue is that the bigger cushions raise your center of gravity up which makes boats less stable. You can always counteract this by putting weightat the bottom of the boat though. So hopefully you don't need a 4 inch Roho. I have closed cell foam with a cut out so my ischium is floating and not getting driven into a hard surface. I have to customize it. I have a thin gel seat called a Skoosh that I put on the seat and seems to help a lot. I bet Stimulite sheets would be a great way to go. Waterproof, not too sloppy. I hope this helps...

Was supposed to start adaptive crew yesterday, but river was flooded from rain (the docks & ramps were under water) so I got to try out an Erg. I think the erg is basically a rowing machine, but has a fixed seat. We wrapped an ab binder around me & the seat and also wrapped my hands to the handlebars. I also had a PT student standing next to me for the entire hour so he could get my water and make sure I didn't fall off.

Surfed Sunday morning- 7 mile bike ride Sunday evening.

I was crushed Monday so I just chilled after work.

Surfed tonight again.

Probably bike ride and balance exercises tomorrow.

Surf again Thursday hopefully

Should be waves all week. that'll get the shoulders in shape for the next good swell.