Thread: What workout did you do today?

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieM View Post
    I want to let you all know that your post about your exercise routines and activities inspired me to get to the gym myself. I had a spinal stroke Feb of 2013 at C7 to T1. I have an incomplete injury and have been blessed with a lot of return since my stroke. I am able to walk with a single offset cane for short distances. To my surprise I was able to walk on the treadmill for longer distances. I am able to walk 35 mins on the treadmill now and I am able to use some weight machines. I am almost 66 years old and without your examples I never would have gotten myself active again. Thank you and congratulations on all of your accomplishments. I admire all of you.
    Annie, this is really awesome! Thanks for telling us about your accomplishments.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan F View Post
    My ride tonight finished off my first 1000 miles on the Catrike! Took me 9 months, but I'll still take it. Also had 2 surgeries and the Winter to deal with over that time frame.
    That is a big accomplishment. It is also enough to support good health and find some friends to ride with. I bet that you have significant improvements ahead. I gained a lot of riding power between 18 and 36 months. Keep at it and keep records so you can see the changes.
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

Yesterday - parked the car at the north end of lake tahoe (kings beach) at 4:30am - paddled to the south end (S. Lake Tahoe), Ate a civilized sit down breakfast, and paddled back to the car - just under 10 hours - 40.7 miles.

here is a picture predawn... but we started paddling at first light...

I've had some new milestones lately. Now, when standing, I can bend down, put palms on the floor and get onto the floor without any other support. Pretty sweet! The dog likes it, too, because humans are always better at eye-level.

Today, had a full day on the job, including commute. Then, 300 ab crunches, half-hour of leg work on the floor and a 4-mile (1 hour, 7 minutes!) Leslie Sansone workout. These continue to be my favorite things to do because they were such a part of my life pre-injury.

I've also noticed better trunk balance and am having crazy thoughts about biking again. You guys think you could see me through another bike experiment?

Annie, GOOD for you! I was so happy to see your post. I know a lot of women your age that wouldn't do 35 minutes on a treadmill...and they don't have an SCI. So, you are waaaaay out in front of the pack. I hope it just keeps getting better for you.

Quote Originally Posted by truly View Post
    I've had some new milestones lately. Now, when standing, I can bend down, put palms on the floor and get onto the floor without any other support. Pretty sweet! The dog likes it, too, because humans are always better at eye-level.

Today, had a full day on the job, including commute. Then, 300 ab crunches, half-hour of leg work on the floor and a 4-mile (1 hour, 7 minutes!) Leslie Sansone workout. These continue to be my favorite things to do because they were such a part of my life pre-injury.

I've also noticed better trunk balance and am having crazy thoughts about biking again. You guys think you could see me through another bike experiment?
    Wow, that sounds like a big jump in abilities and stamina to me, especially the 4 miles in 1:07. My trunk balance/strength has improved lots from riding a bike. Have you been riding a stationary bike much? It seems that if you rode one that is not recumbent that it would help your bike specific muscles. I have found I have to sneak up on new things in small steps. Last Fall I began riding a road racing bike again. At first the aggresive position was a little scary, but it is now comfortable. I have used a trike, 3 bikes and multiple little adaptations to get here, but I am a quad and have to worry about my hands. Good luck. I'm sure people would be happy to give advice for more bike tries. Maybe you could give us a summary of where you think your biking problems are.
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

Katja I'm so impressed with you, are only triathlete. And with a busy life you still find the time to train and complete, way to go, and go and go, way cool.

Arndog I was just wondering about how fast you go in your kayak. In your video it looked like you guys were hauling ass. So were you averaging 4.7 MPH on your last incredible long trip? Man that's a long way to paddle, hope you have figured out a good pad to sit on.

And everyone else what a bunch of amazingly athletic people. After are various injury's and illnesses who would have thought we could do all of these athletic activates , I certainly had my doubts. Way to go everyone.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

3.5hrs of awesome trail!

flying - I have one gluteus muscle and one exposed ischium.. I cut a 4 inch diameter hole of the fiberglass seat for my right ischium and glued a neoprene pad to the seat. So my ischium is floating on a neoprene trampoline , if you follow, maybe 1 inch off the floor of the boat. So I won't get a ulcer now. Then I use a "skoosh" gel kayak pad on that - it is pretty thin but I don't want to raise my center of gravity or else I will become unstable. It is a great gel seat for cheap. I did lots of 20 second weight shifts which is easy by just lifting on the gunwales of the boat. I brought an emergency roho - one inch but seemed to do okay and never used it. I had the usual bad neuropathic ass burning - that started after one hour - but I dealt with it and made it. We averaged 4.3 miles/hour , but that includes all stops to drink, eat, pee, and weight shift. So we are moving a bit faster. In that video, those boat are probably going 4.7 to low 5 mph like you said. But that is because the camera is rolling !

Quote Originally Posted by cajun View Post
    Wow, that sounds like a big jump in abilities and stamina to me, especially the 4 miles in 1:07. My trunk balance/strength has improved lots from riding a bike. Have you been riding a stationary bike much? It seems that if you rode one that is not recumbent that it would help your bike specific muscles. I have found I have to sneak up on new things in small steps. Last Fall I began riding a road racing bike again. At first the aggresive position was a little scary, but it is now comfortable. I have used a trike, 3 bikes and multiple little adaptations to get here, but I am a quad and have to worry about my hands. Good luck. I'm sure people would be happy to give advice for more bike tries. Maybe you could give us a summary of where you think your biking problems are.
    Cajun, thanks for responding. Biking is the one thing I'd most like to get back to. I used to commute part-way to the city for work and really miss it.

I have L1 and L5 injuries. Can't complain about the return. I've been pretty lucky. Last summer, I got a Eureka flat foot bike, thinking it would be a way to ease back into it. I just couldn't do it. I'm quite sure I'm strong enough. I work out on my road bike in a bike trainer with no problems. It was a mental block. I don't have normal saddle sensation and think that may be part of the problem. I also have delayed reflexes so I don't know how well I'd pull out of hitting a dip...or if my feet would cooperate. I've considered a recumbent trike. However, I'm in a high-traffic area and don't think I'd make it to the bike trail in one piece.

Quote Originally Posted by truly View Post
    Cajun, thanks for responding. Biking is the one thing I'd most like to get back to. I used to commute part-way to the city for work and really miss it.

I have L1 and L5 injuries. Can't complain about the return. I've been pretty lucky. Last summer, I got a Eureka flat foot bike, thinking it would be a way to ease back into it. I just couldn't do it. I'm quite sure I'm strong enough. I work out on my road bike in a bike trainer with no problems. It was a mental block. I don't have normal saddle sensation and think that may be part of the problem. I also have delayed reflexes so I don't know how well I'd pull out of hitting a dip...or if my feet would cooperate. I've considered a recumbent trike. However, I'm in a high-traffic area and don't think I'd make it to the bike trail in one piece.
    Just keep practicing and you'll adapt. Just stay out of the traffic until you've got it down.