Thread: What workout did you do today?

Back outside on the handcycle today for the first time since last Fall. 25 miles at a local fundraiser. It will take a few rides before I like cycling again
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Got on a road bike for the first time yesterday and did 16 miles. No issues with the fitness level but do have a sore ass today...

I bought a new mountain bike so the last couple of days I have been working on my old bike to sell it. That type of activity wipes me out, makes me more fatigued than riding. Part of it is that, with my clumsy hands, it takes about four times as long to do it.
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

Quote Originally Posted by Dan F View Post
    Today I got back to being able to do something I hadn't done since my injury. My son is in the Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums. They march and play all over Williamsburg, but I had really only been able to park myself on a corner and watch them go by until now. But tonight I was able to traipse along with them over cobblestones, gravel, and horse shit, as well as, deal with a large crowd. My walking speed has really improved, as has my balance. The Side Stix have definitely opened things up for me. Was able to be on my feet for about 2 hours.
    Love Williamsburg! Went down for the Grand Illumination last year. It is very accessible, with a few exceptions... We have been there several times. In spring the gardens are just wonderful.

Always enjoy the evening Fifes and Drums march.

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    My feet do that too = I do it to try to calm them down when they spasm & twitch

I'm never riding on the road again - that is what go me here, and I've lost quite a few AB friends to car collisions.
    I just have to pace myself.......it's hard.
    I hear you about riding on the road. We got an 81 year old who rode 200 times last year on the same roads I ride on, with a two wheel recumbent. I bought a 4 inch mirror for my bike, and look in it often, but riding into a head wind I still get surprised by cars behind me. You know that I went flying after I crashed my plane, just saying. Glad to hear that your almost money neutral, that's got to be a good feeling. I was barely making it with my stomach, and now sci and pain, guess my working outside the house days are over. Don't no how you guys do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan F View Post
    In hospital with probable baclofen pump infection. Hopefully can be salvaged with iv antibiotics, otherwise it'll have to be yanked out. Put a big damper on my Sunday exercise plans.
    Hope the antibiotics are working and you can get back to some fun exercise. Let us know how your doing.

Quote Originally Posted by My395 View Post
    Back outside on the handcycle today for the first time since last Fall. 25 miles at a local fundraiser. It will take a few rides before I like cycling again
    What a long ride after such a long layoff. Killer on the arms no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by gvinton View Post
    Gotgo on a road bike for the first time yesterday and did 16 miles. No issues with the fitness level but do have a sore ass today...
    Way to go, hope you have the best seat known to man.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun View Post
    I bought a new mountain bike so the last couple of days I have been working on my old bike to sell it. That type of activity wipes me out, makes me more fatigued than riding. Part of it is that, with my clumsy hands, it takes about four times as long to do it.
    Man I hear what your saying. I have full hands, but man its hard to work on my hand cycle from a wheel chair, takes forever to get anything done.
    I've fallen out of my chair many times working on stuff.

I'm laying around all day trying not to push my wheel chair, giving my sore muscle a break. Very immobilizing and a wake up call to take better care of my shoulders. So I've been working my gluts and hamstrings to death with the glut machine, and spending time trying to turn nerve madness into muscle movement, and proprioception. I know sounds like esoteric hippy BS but I'm seeing some results, and it really changes the way one looks at what is pain and what is not.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

First time out on the trail yesterday. It's finally dried off enough. I did the same section I worked on last summer. Felt very strong and think I picked up better than I left off last year. It was great to be out in the fresh air with all the forest flowers starting to bloom!

Two weeks ago I stopped taking hydrocodone at night. Just wanted to see what would happen. The result was crampy legs that woke me up every hour or so. I stopped that experiment pretty quick. This damaged nerve business is weird stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    You know that I went flying after I crashed my plane, just saying.

Does a plane fly by within inches every few minutes with the pilot drunk, putting on makeup, texting or wanting to maim you?

I still fly too.
    Just not road ride.

Roads here are few, narrow, crowded, full of tourists rubbernecking, and we have 10,000 mi of dirt roads surrounding us plus trails.
    Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Does a plane fly by within inches every few minutes with the pilot drunk, putting on makeup, texting or wanting to maim you?

I still fly too.
    Just not road ride.

Roads here are few, narrow, crowded, full of tourists rubbernecking, and we have 10,000 mi of dirt roads surrounding us plus trails.
    Just saying.
    In an ideal world we would have a nice rails for trails to ride on and not have to worry about getting smashed all the time. There are no trails around here to ride on so the road is it. Sounds like you have a great trail riding where you are, so cool. I do not have a death wish, but if a car hits me, I hope its the end so I won't have to put up with all this shit anymore. Just saying.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    but if a car hits me, I hope it's the end.
    Just saying.
    I kind of find myself wishing that had happened most days.
    Just Saying.

Unfortunately my pump infection worsened on iv antibiotics and they removed the pump and catheter 2 days ago. I should be getting out of the hospital today. I'm back on oral baclofen and still feel awfully tight and jerky. Hopefully, some of the tightness/tone will settle down over the next few days - I guess the spinal baclofen was pretty effective. Whole thing is kind of a bummer. But - should be able to at least walk and stretch some. It will probably be a few weeks before I'm back to full activity.