Thread: What workout did you do today?

I did experiments as I was beginning to get outside and walk again during recovery. Based on calorie burn, it took me 3.5 times the effort to accomplish what I had before injury. Now, at almost three years post, it's 2 times the effort. It has been gradually improving, but a long road, for sure.

Went to are local big April birthday party and stood around talking as much as possible before sitting back down in my chair. When I started to get tired standing, I found that I could lean over on one leg for a bit and then back on the other one. So what's up with it being easer to stand on one leg then two? Of course I was always leaning on my crutches or a counter.

Steve there's that little dog, who is not so small after all. It sure is fun having a four legged friend to workout with. And the two legged ones aren't bad ether.

Jett Great job being able to keep your heart rate that high for so long. I bet your in pretty good cardio shape. And getting faster as well. I know from experience how hard it is to stay smooth and have a good stroke while swimming.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    Steve there's that little dog, who is not so small after all. It sure is fun having a four legged friend to workout with. And the two legged ones aren't bad ether.
    She's getting big!
    We don't want her to get huge so she can keep kayaking.
    it's good to have here around, many times days & days go by with few humans so I hang out with Osa the dog & Gus-gus the cat.
    Unconditional love.

Quote Originally Posted by truly View Post
    I did experiments as I was beginning to get outside and walk again during recovery. Based on calorie burn, it took me 3.5 times the effort to accomplish what I had before injury. Now, at almost three years post, it's 2 times the effort. It has been gradually improving, but a long road, for sure.
    Hi Truly,
    Is your calorie burn number based on time and speed or distance? I wouldn't trust either of those methods for an SCI person. I think that using heart rate would be more accurate. In my bike rides the heart rate method gives significantly higher numbers than using time and speed. You may be burning more than you think.
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

Quote Originally Posted by truly View Post
    Interesting. How were you measuring calorie burn? Heartrate monitor I assume?

On saturday I did a long stint on the One-Off. Went up a hill in North Wales called Cader Idris, about seven hours up and an hour and half down, with a lot of great people helping on the rocky steps near the top:

Quote Originally Posted by cajun View Post
    Hi Truly,
    Is your calorie burn number based on time and speed or distance? I wouldn't trust either of those methods for an SCI person. I think that using heart rate would be more accurate. In my bike rides the heart rate method gives significantly higher numbers than using time and speed. You may be burning more than you think.
    I used a HR monitor and an equation that uses HR, time, age and a couple of other factors to come up with calorie burn. I went a mile and compared it to what the burn was for that same distance pre injury. It seemed like a reasonable comparison and matched what the effort actually felt like. I measure every once in a while out of curiosity. It's been good to see the number come down over time. It was alarming at first but sure explained why I was tired out.
    Last edited by truly; 04-22-2013 at 11:12 PM. Reason: addition

Truly,
    Well, now I get it. My heart rate was lots higher when I was walking during the first year of recovery. It is reasonable now, but I still can't walk nearly as fast, and it still wears me out. My spasticity hates speed.
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

55 minutes on the treadmill, up to 10% incline. Now, why didn't I go that extra 5 minutes?

Sunday went on short but steep crutch hike. Steepest terrain I've attempted. Followed that with 90 minute strength routine at the gym.

Monday just worked all day.

Tuesday did balance routine and PT in am, worked afternoon, and took a 40 minute crutch walk in the evening. I was fried and crashed @ 9. Definitely notice that I walk a finer line with fatigue. I often have a hard time moving around the house after a busy day. I also dread Mondays. I'm not going to give up staying active on the weekends, but I pay for it on Monday.