Thread: What workout did you do today?

Quote Originally Posted by cripwalk View Post
    have you tried assisted pullups (not sure what your level of injury is). I think they translate a lot better to doing a real pullup.
    I'm non-ambulatory thanks to MS. I have done some assisted pullups, although I tend to have trouble staying upright on the machine due to both hip flexor/glute losses and balance.

It's hard to tell on those machines how much of your body weight you're really subtracting, though, so doing a 150# pull down on an old fashioned lat machine was kind of a thrill (and an achievement all by itself).

45 minutes playing WC BBall
    1 hour of adaptive zumba
    1 hour on the FES cycle that our YMCA has.
    Mimi

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    I'm non-ambulatory thanks to MS. I have done some assisted pullups, although I tend to have trouble staying upright on the machine due to both hip flexor/glute losses and balance.

It's hard to tell on those machines how much of your body weight you're really subtracting, though, so doing a 150# pull down on an old fashioned lat machine was kind of a thrill (and an achievement all by itself).
    No question, that is an impressive number, most people I see doing that are rather huge.

Is a pullup your goal? I can see why you'd find assisted pullups rather difficult if you're non ambulatory for sure

Quote Originally Posted by cripwalk View Post
    No question, that is an impressive number, most people I see doing that are rather huge.

Is a pullup your goal? I can see why you'd find assisted pullups rather difficult if you're non ambulatory for sure
    Yup, a pullup and bench pressing my body weight (160#). I'm female, 53 years old, and started lifting 4 years ago.

At the gym, about a hour of full upper body strength training followed by 15 minutes reverse krankcycle, 10 minutes of battle ropes, and 100 overhead throws/catches with a medicine ball against a trampoline. Then E stim to my abs for a hour at home.

Been getting good results from my current 3/4 day a week gym routine but will be starting a new 5 day a week routine next week.
    c6 inc since 2-19-11
    ex pro-am motocross racer
    tilite aero z s2

Quote Originally Posted by cajun View Post
    Dan F,
    I'm at 3 years post injury now. Looking back at my Garmin data, I can see that I made good progress in the last 1.5 years. My cadence is still low, ~68, but my speed is better. The Garmin is great for seeing progress and keeping motivated.

An old AB buddy came into town this week, and I rode bikes with him for three days. Of course I trashed myself, but it was fun. Think I'll rest tomorrow.
    I love that you are still making progress so far out. That's the kind of info that keeps the hope going.

Had a better ride today, about 15 miles on the Virginia Capital Trail. Average speed and cadence were a bit better and I felt more comfortable. This AM did my balance routine as well.

FLYING - I 've only tried a hand cycle once or twice, but my arms and hands are probably as weak as my legs. Not sure I can generate anymore aerobic activity that way or not, but it's probably worth checking out. Thanks for the input.

Working on my distance swimming this morning at practice.
    Shaved roughly five minutes off last weeks mile swim time.
    Still trying to figure out how hard to push early and still make it to the end!

Flying, I wore my heart rate monitor this morning. It logged an average of 128 bpm during the mile swim.
    1977 - C5 ambulating Quad

I hallucinated I was 21, and AB, now I'm paying, 32 years+ after the reality check, life's funny, this isn't. I amazed everyone, and wrecked me, at least I was smiling......

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    Yup, a pullup and bench pressing my body weight (160#). I'm female, 53 years old, and started lifting 4 years ago.

very lofty goal but I think you could achieve it! I'd be interested to hear more about your herbal routine and lifting experience.

Its been very hard for me to get my cadence back post injury. HR is not a problem though, I've marveled at how much harder I work now to ride slower! I've got HR monitor files to prove it...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan F View Post
    Riding does feel a good bit different post injury. I've had a hard time getting HR and cadence up to levels remotely comparable to pre injury rates. That being said, riding the trike outside sure beats the hell out of not getting out at all and I feel fortunate that I'm able to do it. Many people with SCI are not so lucky.

Today got in an hour ride after 90 minutes of PT. Had to work all day yesterday and take call, so no exercise - but was on my feet most of the day.

Thanks to everyone on this site - helps keep the focus.