Thread: What workout did you do today?

Today was laundry day...I did laundry, folded it, made a few trips up and down stairs (sans cane) typed several emails.....it seemed more impressive as I was doing it!

Fairly I had to carry it from the dryer and do sorting too....oh I also cooked dinner....still seemed more tiring during the process.
    CCS/Walker C6...it's a long story

Weeded the strawberry's while sitting on my hand cycle and cut the grass around the flower beds from my peddle trike seat. Life sure is a lot nicer with a good set of wheels.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

32 miles commuting to work last week on the handcycle.
    Working on my swimming distance training this morning at practice.
    Swam the mile for time (1650 yards) outdoors.
    Was tracking the 550 yd splits at just under sixteen minutes.
    I was surprised how steady the pace was. I expected to falloff towards the end!

Lovely spring weather, Snow, rain and wind.
    1977 - C5 ambulating Quad

Jett,
    I think that that is impressive. Way to stick with it, developing the technique over a long period of time.
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    Weeded the strawberry's while sitting on my hand cycle and cut the grass around the flower beds from my peddle trike seat. Life sure is a lot nicer with a good set of wheels.
    That's a creative approach to getting yard work done. I need to figure something like that out to get back out there myself.

Triked and walked a good bit both of the past 2 days. Had the Side Stix for a week now and they are definitely allowing me to walk further, faster, and more securely. Hiked a fairly uneven trail yesterday that felt pretty good - would've been an absolute snail's pace with hand held hiking poles.

Awesome job with the commuting Jett.

Angry

Ok, it's been a while since I posted. This isn't quite about a workout although I've been doing those and am back on the bike (yay, Spring!)

About 10 days back I discovered an injury on my upper left outer thigh just below my buttock. It is not a saddle sore, not even close to the bike seat. Looked like I had accidentally gouged myself on something and it took a while for me to find it since its on a part of my leg with very little feeling, I thought that plausible. Here's the thing...it's been very slow to heal and I write that off to being due to the poor circulation and its location where it constantly gets sat on and rubbed. My significant other, well, she looked at it and immediately went Internet surfing and says its a pressure sore which kinda scares the crap out of me and I'm disbelieving.

I am almost 4 years post injury, walking without assistance and in fact walking well enough to work----I'm an airline pilot. I've never had a pressure sore or even came close (or so I think) even during my least ambulatory days when I was walker and wheelchair and find it hard to believe that I would get one now. Granted, my job does involve a lot of sitting but I've been back to work for a year and a half now and think this problem would have reared its head earlier.

I post to this thread because I know many of you are incompletes (I'm an L1 burst) that are very active and may have similar issues like slow healing on affected limbs.

Just looking for a little feedback. Probably going to see my internist about this next week if I don't see a marked improvement.
    Last edited by sorefm; 04-14-2013 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sorefm View Post
    I post to this thread because I know many of you are incompletes (I'm an L1 burst) that are very active and may have similar issues like slow healing on affected limbs.
    Not just you............Me too.
    it's my left leg - my right one heals fine, while the same injury like a light scratch or cut will take MONTHS to heal instead of a week on the other, and as the feeling sucks on it it gets hurt.
    I have both crushed a toe back sliding on it on my one-off & spilled coffee on it only to take my pants off with a silver dollar of epidermis.
    So yeah, I'll not know exactly how I hurt it, and it takes forever to heal, *and* I have muted numb feeling in it.
    I have to really keep an eye on my right foot. That thing is trouble.
    Left leg is a trooper even having been crushed in >25 pieces.

Paddled up & then down the Colorado River for two days.

Garro thanks for a beautiful canyon wall in Marble Canyon on the colo. river. I can't wait to paddle that section without a permit. Hey- does it get too hot in the summer? When is the latest to do that?
    sorefm - welcome to the club. Hey you walk around and forgot your a gimp susceptable to pressure sores. Been there,you get lulled into that cannot happen to me because I am incomplete. The good news, which I don't take for granted, is you can go from lying to standing and simple not sit on that side until the wound heals. So many people on this site would have to do bed rest and limit sitting to get that to heal. I just did that 2 months ago after a five hour Kayak session in the SF bay on a hard fiberglass seat. I had to go to work and raise my desk and stand for 8 hours at work, only use a wheeled walker at home instead of a wheelchair, and never sit other than my car in which I sat on my left butt only and used the handcontrols. That took a few weeks.
    Then I have had a sacral ulcer from a hospital stay in which I only laid on my back and didn't get turned for two days. Then there was a deep ischial ulcer after skiing across the sierras and sitting in a poorly padded sitski for 11 hours without weight shifts. So I feel for you (feel might not be the right word since "not being able to feel" is why this happens.
    I hope it is not too deep - do you know how deep the injury is? They are graded into levels 2,3,4...

[QUOTE=arndog;1683503](1) Garro thanks for a beautiful canyon wall in Marble Canyon on the colo. river. I can't wait to paddle that section without a permit. Hey- does it get too hot in the summer? When is the latest to do that?

(2) sorefm - welcome to the club. Hey you walk around and forgot your a gimp susceptable to pressure sores. Been there,you get lulled into that cannot happen to me because I am incomplete. The good news, which I don't take for granted, is you can go from lying to standing and simple not sit on that side until the wound heals...............

(3) So many people on this site would have to do bed rest and limit sitting to get that to heal. I just did that 2 months ago after a five hour Kayak session in the SF bay on a hard fiberglass seat......

QUOTE]
    (1) all years is good.
    We did 3 days with it >112*F all days.
    To quote one of the famous AZ adages on the rivers: "if you are hot you are stupid" as you are sitting in water.
    Nov>>>>April is too cold, as there is no sunlight in the canyon. Goes for the whole GC.

(2) I wore a big hole in my butt cheek last May rowing the whole 288mi of the Grand Canyon - F**K!
    You pull back & forth the whole time and sit, while AB's stand and have glutes....
    A helicopter parkie pilot flew me in a sheet of tegaderm, and I rode it out the whole trip!
    That stuff is AWESOME.

(3) ^^^ like I said, remarkable, I rode it out soaking wet, and it healed during the trip. Rowing the whole way, unless fishing or beer drinking. Laying down in camp.
    Tegaderm.
    plus, Man.......I gotta work every day. Laying down is not an option.
    i sit on a quad 4" roho all day.......