Page 37 of 497 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142434445464787137 ... LastLast

Thread: What workout did you do today?

ok I have been working on my bike riding and here is the dilemma
    my balance was better than I expected when I got on but with my KAFO on I couldn't bend my leg enough to get the pedal all the way around - even passively. We raised the seat as high as we could that still allowed me to put my foot on the ground. I could surprisingly enough pedal 4 or 5 times standing up so I believe if it weren't for the brace limiting me I could ride the bike.
    I took the KAFO off and could then pedal the bike but could not keep my balance. I kept falling to the left (which is my better side). Every 2nd or 3rd rotation I would lose my balance to the left and be unable to regain it and have to put my foot down.
    I looked at Canadian Tire for training wheels but only found really small kiddie ones. I will keep looking.

Alex - go get a recumbent trike if you can. I worry you are going to hurt yourself with your experimentation. Catrike.com is the place to check out. If you can pull it off, you will be so happy.

Great job - Rich - the Y sounds good.

Went to see an ortho / sports doc yesterday - he said I had a 'non-displaced fracture of the radial head' -- in other words a broken elbow. Minor enough that they don't usually cast or splint these, but 6 weeks of healing time needed.

No riding or climbing for a while, but I can still hike. Did my usual training hike yesterday afternoon, and looked out over the Pacific ocean from about 2800' in the Santa Cruz mountains.

I think I'll be wearing elbow pads when I start riding again

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Alex - go get a recumbent trike if you can. I worry you are going to hurt yourself with your experimentation. Catrike.com is the place to check out. If you can pull it off, you will be so happy.

Great job - Rich - the Y sounds good.
    Unfortunately that is not possible right now or even in the next couple years. I am still trying to save up to put a ramp on my house so that I don't have to get in and out on my butt so I can't spend a thousand or more on a bike. I am going to try to locate training wheels or give up on the idea. I thought it would be great to be able to ride the trails with my dogs since I can't keep up on foot.

On another note - my new physiotherapist is terrific and I am improving in my core strength and balance in the past few weeks more than I did the 3 years prior. It is very exciting.
    The other day I laughed and my abs hurt

got out for 2hrs off-road handcycling.........went on a flat-ish ride, sorta baby-ing a grouchy shoulder and i'm trying to ease into some kinda shape for big rides into the mtns. as the snow level rises........gonna fit metal all day today {just like most days} Steve.

Today, I got out for my 50th cross country (nordic) ski day of the season. Waahoooo! I'm going tomorrow also and will exceed the "Patrick Standen" season record from last year - - what , me competitive?. (only as a motivational tool). Nordic skiing is so much more than fitness; it is fresh air, nature, no traffic, freedom of movement, differing snow conditions, a link to my pre-SCI life, ski waxing based on temperature and weather, 'can-do' happy fit people , to name a few.....
    The sun is taking its toll on the track and there is probably only 1 more week left at the nordic center. Really, the nordic ski season here in Tahoe is 3.5 months long. Then it is time to reluctantly pump up the tires on the handcycle and try to be visible to cars.

Rhyang - sorry about your radial head - as my mother would say, "be careful ! "
    Alexagain - you "be careful" with riding a 2 wheeler or you will end up like RHyang.....

Quote Originally Posted by AlexAgain View Post
    Unfortunately that is not possible right now or even in the next couple years. I am still trying to save up to put a ramp on my house so that I don't have to get in and out on my butt so I can't spend a thousand or more on a bike. I am going to try to locate training wheels or give up on the idea. I thought it would be great to be able to ride the trails with my dogs since I can't keep up on foot.

On another note - my new physiotherapist is terrific and I am improving in my core strength and balance in the past few weeks more than I did the 3 years prior. It is very exciting.
    The other day I laughed and my abs hurt
    Alex,
    In regards to a ramp for your house. Have you looked into any organizations that would put a ramp on your house for you like for instance : any Center's for Independent living or service organizations like Rotary Club International, Lions Club, Kiwanis Club. ?
    I think in the US there are organizations that put ramps on peoples houses for them.
    Hope you find some generosity some place so you don't have to save the money for a ramp & no longer have to get on your butt to get out of your house.
    Good Luck !

Regards,
    Bob
    Fellow CC member

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    got out for 2hrs off-road handcycling.........went on a flat-ish ride, sorta baby-ing a grouchy shoulder and i'm trying to ease into some kinda shape for big rides into the mtns. as the snow level rises........gonna fit metal all day today {just like most days} Steve.
    I took advantage of a rare sunny day and got out on my new-to-me handcycle. Wow, different strokes for different folks and all, but I can't recommend it enough for anyone looking to get outside for exercise. Don't know how I waited so long to get one. I'm on the same page as you, looking forward to crankin' up mountain roads,gettin' some altitude and scenery -

Thanks Bob
    I am working on funding for a ramp but it seems to be a long process and I have already been turned down by a couple organizations for various reasons so I am saving in the meantime.
    Someday I will have my ramp, and be finished school and not have to watch my pennies so closely - then I will get my cool bike and ride it on the beach boardwalk all summer long with my dogs trailing behind

Oh - back to workouts
    Yesterday I swam for 45 min
    Last edited by AlexAgain; 03-30-2009 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Today, I got out for my 50th cross country (nordic) ski day of the season.
    50 days, that's dedication. I'm impressed! Still saving my pennies for a ski for next season...