Thread: What workout did you do today?

I really relate to these latest posts. Since injury, I've tried to do everything I did before, with varying degrees of success. Nothing is really the same and I struggle with continuing to hammer away, hoping for further improvements or letting it go. I'm aware now that I have to be much more mindful of safety. A fall, running out of steam on a hike or everyday carelessness carry huge prices. I'm back to the basics of instinct. If something doesn't feel right or if it's not fun, then that's maybe not the thing for me...even if it is something I loved to do as an AB. I can't really discuss this with anyone here because they don't understand. I get the reality of where I'm at and have long ago given up the idea of a perfect recovery. It's okay and I'm learning to accept my limits but it's hard for my cheering squad to accept them. I guess I'm blessed to be surrounded by so much positive energy but at the end of the day, I have to walk (or lurch) this trail alone. You guys know what I mean?
    Last edited by truly; 02-23-2013 at 12:49 AM. Reason: typing on a dern phone keyboard

Sorry...entry posted twice.

Truly- I get what you mean. The better I look the more they want. Still have people come up to me and say. "not much longer now"

Un fucking believable, my day starts like the movie ground hog day. Each morning for a half second after my eyes open, I am normal. Than the shit hits the fan. The spaz runs my body like I was hooked up an electric chair for 60 seconds. Than my companion Pain and I push thru the day.

I just don't get it. This 50 50 life I am living, I look at my bud in wheels full time and say lucky fuck. Than I get a hold on reality and stop, and all I want to do is go to the mountains.

So I rode the bike for about a mile. Can not believe the feeling in my knees. It felt like having sex. Then it hurt like hell. Now I drank too much.

Sorry guys and gals, bad night

CJ

Yea Arndog you are kind of like our yoda. I very much appreciate your experience. Truly- You are right no one gets it. There is so much to this.

Revis- Give feet sliding a chance. You sound like you are really charging back. I hate to just dismiss things off hand without giving it a go.

Arndog- I agree with you very much with regard to sit ski and over all attitude. I have charged way to hard in my life to be religated to the geriatric line at 43 years old. I am glad High Fives is giving me the chance to really explore the possibilities.

CJ8- You are always allowed to vent. Then you have to get your ass back in the game. People really don't get it. You have to have a half hour conversation at a minimum for folks to even come close to understanding this.

I am being interviewed during halftime of the radio broadcast of my alma mater Salisbury University's lacrossse game today to discuss my injury/recovery and involvement with promoting wheelchair lacrosse. I am pretty excited.

Quote Originally Posted by MFlounlacker View Post
    Yea Arndog you are kind of like our yoda. I very much appreciate your experience. Truly- You are right no one gets it. There is so much to this.

Revis- Give feet sliding a chance. You sound like you are really charging back. I hate to just dismiss things off hand without giving it a go.
    Thanks to all of you on this thread for all of the interaction, input and inspiration. I agree with all of you: Where else do you go to get some understanding in the daily challenge we deal with? It really helps to have the discussions that take place here. Hope all of you have a good encouraging day with whatever you're doing. I'm flying over to Seattle today. Picking up a new Subaru Outback to replace my 05 model, then will work two days, and drive home on Monday afternoon/evening. Not much workout for the next two days. Has been dumping snow in the mtns here and I need to quite thinking about the fresh pow that's up there.
    CCS/Walking Quad

Quote Originally Posted by truly View Post
    I'm aware now that I have to be much more mindful of safety. A fall, running out of steam on a hike or everyday carelessness carry huge prices. I'm back to the basics of instinct. If something doesn't feel right or if it's not fun, then that's maybe not the thing for me...even if it is something I loved to do as an AB. I can't really discuss this with anyone here because they don't understand.
    Paying attention to safety ebbs and flows for me. I get cocky, I get away with stuff, I get careless, and then BOOM! I do something stupid - a close call, or maybe an injury. Then I pay more attention, I'm careful, I go slow for a while...but then that gets boring and I start taking risks again.

And yeah, hardly anyone around here understands that. It's the same with exertion versus rest: "What do you mean you have to lie down? Didn't you just do a big gym workout?"

Obligatory "what workout did you do today?": Masters swim. 1800 yards. A fair amount of backstroke and a couple of laps of breaststroke, which always seems like an exercise in futility, if not an outright invitation to just drown.

Last Saturday nordic skiing with Mark Wellman at Tahoe Donner Nordic, Truckee, California. Typical one layer weather for February. I hobbled in to a cabin to grab some H2O.
    Today - still waiting for pressure ulcer to heal...
    Actually - I will do the Krankcycle today

Hey Arndog - I remember you saying something about being aggressive with the sit-skiing being very bad for the remaining healthy vertebrae. I think you even credited it with causing the kyphosis that led to you being fused from your hips on up. I could be wrong about that.

I used to snowboard fairly aggressively and like a few other people here on the forum I can still manage to get down a run or two, but it's just not the same. Sit skiing has that allure of being able to do it on much more technical slopes, but it also seems to have the danger of wrecking what's left of your back in short order.

I have a fusion from T12 to L4, so my L5 is doing all of the work and I guess I'm wandering what you have to say about wear and tear in the lower fusions and sit skiing.
    L2 incomplete with a pretty bad limp since 10/31/2011.

Cool posts on some very tough issues. My half in and half out is mostly about sitting. If I was complete I could sit forever, but now if I sit, especially still, for very long its pain city. Makes driving more that an hour or two problematic at best. If completes could feel what is really going on with sitting on skin and bone, they would do pressure relief every couple of minutes.

Arndog sorry to read about your pressure sore, hope it gets better soon. I'm about ready to buy a smaller 4" roho for non chair use. You know a happy butt makes a happy lad.

Well the fog is starting to lift, so its time to get on the horn and find some folks to go for a long ride with. Like Arndog said its good to hang with people a little older so you can keep up.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

My left shoulder has been all jacked the fuck up for more then a week.
    fell on the ice.
    It sucks.
    Be careful out there.