Thread: What workout did you do today?

Hi All,

Revis, congratulations on your two-year survival and progress! I never quite know how to address these anniversaries. Happy Anniversary sounds so....wrong. I'm sure travel and work is extremely draining. How amazing, though, that you are able to follow your profession and travel so far. That's a good thing, for sure.

It was PT day today. I took MFlounlacker's suggestion and tried to pick things up off the floor. First, I dropped a small towel. It was tricky, with a lot of wavering and wobbling, but I was able to scrunch down and snatch it by it's highest peak. I then folded the towel various ways to get it ever closer to the ground. I was able to pick it up on all four tries and return to a standing position, but then needed a balance assist. On the final try I tossed my bracelets on the ground and was able to pick up all of them and return to stand. I'd not tried any of this before, so thank you for the suggestion!

Today, I walked about 600 feet, unassisted. Sometimes it feels less like 'walking' and more like a barely controlled flail. Still, I compare that to two months ago when the length of the parallel bars were all I could handle. As we've all learned, the recovery and progress rules of this SCI life are nothing like AB land. I'm still learning what is a reasonable expectation and what is a wistful look at my previous capabilities.

Still, life is good and I'm grateful.
    Last edited by truly; 12-04-2012 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Added some font color

Great to hear Truly. You give me hope for sure that I can keep this up. Today is (not technically by date) the day I was injured. I have no feeling about the day in and of itself really. It's just another Wednesday. But the fact that it has been a year is sobering.

Revis- You are doing great. Keep the pictures coming. Some seriously nice scenery.

Revis-how long you in Sac? Let's work out some 12 ouncers.
    Glad to hear your doing well. Two years. Right on.

Quote Originally Posted by Cjt8 View Post
    Revis-how long you in Sac? Let's work out some 12 ouncers. Glad to hear your doing well. Two years. Right on.
    Thanks for the invite Cjt8. Would have enjoyed getting together with you. Sorry, it was a quick trip and jammed with meeting time the entire time. I returned Tuesday afternoon. Next time I'm down your well let's do it.

It's weird celebrating a 2-year anniversary of a life-changing accident; but you folks understand what that's about. For me it involves comparing progress. As we all know measuring progress with SCI is more of a monthly and yearly thing, not weekly.

It's snowing up here in N. Idaho today. I've got to figure out what I'm going to do in it...try to x-country ski, sit-ski, sit-X-country ski...some snow-shoeing, no doubt. But it would be fun, maybe a little crazy, to try something. One thing for sure, since I got hurt skiing, I may have trouble getting permission from the boss to even think about returning to it. Besides that, I could probably do only one run. Then be done for the rest of the day. That's hard to justify when lift tickets are $50 and beyond.
    CCS/Walking Quad

Revis - may I suggest sticking with snowshoeing, nordic sitskiing. You know how much I love nordic sit skiing. If you guys (CJt8 ) are in Sacramento, come up to Tahoe and lets go XC skiing !

Today - kayaked Lake Tahoe. Went with 2 really good AB paddlers. Hung with them. Yaaa.

That is me with the white paddle. I had a blast. Tried out a dry suit. Temp was in the high twenties when we started. Brrrr. Paddled from Kings Beach to Sand Harbor and back - 12 miles and REALLY far from the shore. I wouldn't have done this had I not been with these experienced AB paddlers... It was tricky cathing while wearing a drysuit and 4 layers of clothes.

Arndog- Im in for giving XC a try. Is it Soda Springs that has the tracks? Do they have the sit skis to rent? It would be fun to see Mark again too.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Today - kayaked Lake Tahoe. Went with 2 really good AB paddlers. Hung with them. Yaaa.

That is me with the white paddle. I had a blast. Tried out a dry suit. Temp was in the high twenties when we started. Brrrr. Paddled from Kings Beach to Sand Harbor and back - 12 miles and REALLY far from the shore. I wouldn't have done this had I not been with these experienced AB paddlers... It was tricky cathing while wearing a drysuit and 4 layers of clothes.
    Man, that's pretty damn cold!
    Glad you are getting stoked on the kayaking, it's really a blast, and as you say, we can hang pretty well with AB's.
    Is that your "old trusty" 15'er?
    Looks like a fine craft to me.
    Did you stay warm?

CJT8 - the place to go is Tahoe Donner Nordic Center in Truckee. They let you use sitskis for free.

Garro - yes that is my trusty 15.5 ft wilderness system. I am realizing that it is a good boat for me. Plastic- fast enough, stable at 24 inch beam. I did stay warm - thick long underwear, thick pile pants, wool socks, neoprene socks, neoprene paddle shoe, drysuit with built in rubber booties. On top, 2 thin wool shirts plus the dry suit. I was fine with that -
    That other guy has a Current Design Extreme 18 ft monster, 22 inch beam rocket ship.
    All I can say is that it is a blast and I could paddle all winter in Lake Tahoe when there are no motor boats in this jewel of a lake-

hey I practiced (near shore at the end of our paddle) a wet exit and reentry in the frigid waters with those guys standing by yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Garro - yes that is my trusty 15.5 ft wilderness system. I am realizing that it is a good boat for me. Plastic- fast enough, stable at 24 inch beam. I did stay warm - thick long underwear, thick pile pants, wool socks, neoprene socks, neoprene paddle shoe, drysuit with built in rubber booties. On top, 2 thin wool shirts plus the dry suit. I was fine with that -
    That other guy has a Current Design Extreme 18 ft monster, 22 inch beam rocket ship.
    Did you give his a spin?
    If you get rid of that 15.5 put me near the top of the list.......