Thread: What workout did you do today?

steve_garro,
    Wow! Where is that? It looks spectacular. How difficult/technical is the riding there? Thanks.
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

Katja I was thinking of you the other day, when my local bike shop called me to ask if I wanted to come look at the race wheel chair they picked up for 40 dollars. Unfortunately it was a little to small for me, there was only 16 inches of room from side to side. My hips are about 2.5 inches wider than that. To bad, it would have been a fun toy to play with. It really sounds like you work way to much.

Steve it's great that you can find some other off road hand cycle people to ride with, and what a great place to ride.

Revis Great to see you out pushing those legs of yours, and thats a great pic. of lake Coeur D Alene. So the weather is bringing on the nuro pain, do you take anything thing for it. I have been on the fentanyl patch and it has helped a lot.

Truly Whats up, you know that cooking turkey is a workout for us folks.

MFlounlacker Thats quite a climb up that rock, and I here you about the hand rails.

Rode out on my hand cycle past the rising river. Rode hard for about 25 minuets to get in a little cardio, and rode home though about 5 inch's of water. Man that river comes up fast. Happy Thanksgiving
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    ... I have been on the fentanyl patch and it has helped a lot.
    Flying, I'm not taking anything for pain. I did break down and took one 300mg gabapentin three different nights in a row about 10 days ago. It took a little bit of the edge off, but I've not taken any more in the last 7 days. Just don't want to start down that road again. It was never suggested to me to try the fentanyl patch...that's more of a slow-release narcotic, right? (Pardon my ignorance...) I'm glad to know that it helps you! Maybe I should look into it.

Steve, those are fantastic pictures. You guys hit a perfect day to be out with those puffy clouds in the sky. Beautiful. Didn't look too hot either.
    CCS/Walking Quad

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    Katja I was thinking of you the other day, when my local bike shop called me to ask if I wanted to come look at the race wheel chair they picked up for 40 dollars. Unfortunately it was a little to small for me, there was only 16 inches of room from side to side. My hips are about 2.5 inches wider than that. To bad, it would have been a fun toy to play with. It really sounds like you work way to much.
    Ha! First time I tried to get into my race chair it was a hell of a squeeze. I looked up at my coach as I was trying wriggle my way down into the chair (he measured me), and he just said, "Keep going - it's just flesh, it compresses."

Hi All and a happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

I've been checking with everyone's posts on this thread but haven't had much time to post, myself. Things have been hectic in software land. I'm so glad the adventurous spirit is alive and well here. Keep on enjoying life!

I've been doing very well. I'm now walking around the house with just touches to walls and furniture here and there. I'm feeling stronger than ever. I have five more PT sessions this year and it might just be enough to get to walking, unaided...at least in what I consider to be safe zones. I imagine it will still be quite some time until it's as natural as it once was, if I even get to that point at all. I'll give it my best shot.

My Montana friend invited me to come out snowshoeing with her in Glacier in February. Wild horses couldn't keep me away..so a new and significant goal for me.

Keep your spirits free and your faces to the sun!

65 degrees today in Minneapolis. Thought I'd go for a ride.

I've started using Strava to track my rides. Provides avg/max speeds, elevation, timing, etc. Anyone else use this or other ride-tracking smartphone apps?

Last edited by brian; 11-22-2012 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun View Post
    steve_garro,
    Wow! Where is that? It looks spectacular. How difficult/technical is the riding there? Thanks.
    That's Sedona, AZ.
    there are trails of every aspect from near paved paths to 20' gap jumps.
    Good shit, perfect temps, just enough clouds to make for great light shows!
    Nice to ride with others every few years, wish it was more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Revis View Post
    It was never suggested to me to try the fentanyl patch...that's more of a slow-release narcotic, right? (Pardon my ignorance...) I'm glad to know that it helps you! Maybe I should look into it.
    Fentanyl is a "pain reliever" 1000x as potent as morphene.
    I was on it for quite some time after being crushed, I would go to great lengths to avoid or quit it - it was one serious bitch to kick.
    i believe it's modeled after sea snake or jellyfish poison if I recall correctly?
    If 800 of ibuprophen, a heating pad, rest, and streaching don't touch your pain, well dang - sorry, bud.
    I'm there too. Lucid, however and able to shit and not be a moody mess.

Steve I hear you about the fentanyl patch. The big decision that some of us have to make at some point is, do we want to trade a little clarity for less pain. Its not what I or anybody else in this situation look forward to. Neurontin and Lyrica have way more side affects for me anyway. With Lyrica my brain turned to mush, the patch by comparison is pretty benign. I'm like you in that I really do not want to be on anything, but constant pain is a real mind changing experience. O well life go's on.

Got in a fun ride with my turkey day company, thats why I keep up my old mountain bike, so I can ride with company that comes over. With in two minutes of being home it was time to start some serious cooking, what a great day.
    Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving.

The day after the big feed, I just walked with the sidestixs and two AFOs back and forth across my house 15 times, 15x90=1350 feet without stopping. Arndogs right, you my not get much more back, but you do get stronger.
    Told my daughter not to eat any more pie, but she would just not listen.