Thread: What workout did you do today?

Trekker- I ride on my knees. Right now I use one of my shortboards, but I plan to have a friend shape me a proper knee board for next year. I am starting to get to wear my hamstrings are strong enough to use swim fins so I will be able to use a smaller board.

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    3.5hrs of really, really hard singletrack.
    i was super cooked.
    Another great picture, Garro. That's a long ride. Love riding in the fall with the colors.

Used to windsurf CA Central Coast, Shveddy and MFlounlacker. Always used a wetsuit no matter the time of year. 5ml in the spring and 4ml or 3ml in the late summer. Some of my best memories: riding waves and shredding along at 25mph with Hearst Castle looking down on our sweet sailing spot (Arroyo Laguna just north of San Simeon).

Yesterday was able to hike some on my local mountain. Rained most of the trek; fall leaves are almost gone; 39 degree temps. My longest hike yet: 4.6 miles in 2 hours. 1,067 elevation gain. It's weird how I'm slowly gaining stamina for walking; but standing around is still very challenging.
    CCS/Walking Quad

Revis,
    I'm happy that your stamina is progressing. That is a big distance. Standing around, even when I was AB, has always been more tiring than walking. It is hard for me if I am using my eyes looking at something in my hands and not keeping an eye on the horizon.
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

Quote Originally Posted by Revis View Post
    Another great picture, Garro. That's a long ride. Love riding in the fall with the colors.
    Paying for it - back is killing me.
    The shit I do for the love of the outdoors.........
    Want to go to work but can't - to scared to F something up if I'm not on my A-game.
    Here is a nice bike I built totally from scratch going to Osaka, Japan.
    I designed the laser cut dropouts and the tubing is drawn to my spec in 300' lengths.
    if it's curved in the pic it came here straight.
    It's what I do.

Steve Garro,
    A nice bike frame is a work of art, and this one is beautiful. What are the stainless pieces on thetop tube and left seatstay? Do you bend the tubes using a form and a long lever? It must take some force to bend a tube that big. Thanks for the artphoto.
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

Hey everyone, it's good to read up on all the things you're doing!

I've been very busy with work and some extra hours the past few weeks. It's chewed into my workout time quite a bit but whacha gonna do? Hopefully, things will even out soon.

I still have PT appointments left and am going to use every last minute. I'm back on the hiking poles now and learning a whole new gait. It's working out very well and I should be able to get on a true two-point stride soon. Amazing how much of a difference it makes to step correctly. I had no clue. I've been able to get on the treadmill for 20 minute stretches and will continue to work up from there. Haven't tried the bike trainer or the outside stairs yet but maybe this weekend.

Revis, standing is the hardest thing for me. I wonder why that is. Maybe it's easier to balance when moving? I kinda think there might be something to that. Nice job on the new distance. It's a long process to work up to that but you continue to prove that you can handle those increases.

Steve, what a beautiful bike frame! Not being in the least mechanical, I can't even imagine creating something like that. I think I'd have better luck knitting a bike!

Katja, so glad you got a good workout while traveling. I'm trying to muster up the mojo to go back to the gym but my mo lost it's jo this week. Oh well.

Keep up the good work, everyone and continued thanks for all the motivation!

Quote Originally Posted by cajun View Post
    Steve Garro,
    A nice bike frame is a work of art, and this one is beautiful. What are the stainless pieces on thetop tube and left seatstay? Do you bend the tubes using a form and a long lever? It must take some force to bend a tube that big. Thanks for the artphoto.
    They are tapped holes so you can bolt on a disc brake line.
    I have ~ $70,000 worth of tooling, much bending-dedicated.
    I have big 3-roll large radius benders, rakers, 1-ton arbor presses...............
    Got a year's worth of framebuilding lined up, been building frames/bikes for a decade & working professionally on bikes for 24yrs.

So, yeah - even when I'm not "working out" I'm working out. It's hard work, metal.
    Here it is when I started, but even here I have done allot of work on the sub-assemblies.

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Paying for it - back is killing me.
    The shit I do for the love of the outdoors.........
    Want to go to work but can't - to scared to F something up if I'm not on my A-game.
    Here is a nice bike I built totally from scratch going to Osaka, Japan.
    I designed the laser cut dropouts and the tubing is drawn to my spec in 300' lengths.
    if it's curved in the pic it came here straight.
    It's what I do.
    Nice!
    Bonzi Bitches

Quote Originally Posted by truly View Post
    I've been very busy with work and some extra hours the past few weeks.... I'm back on the hiking poles now and learning a whole new gait. It's working out very well and I should be able to get on a true two-point stride soon.
    This is a good report, Truly. I'm glad you're able to work, but I agree, it's hard to work and find enough time to work out at the same time. Used to be I could do an early morning walk, jog or bike ride before work. If I do that now I'm shot for the entire day due to neuro fatigue. So, it's evenings or nothing. Well, actually, I do take some brief walks mid-day when I'm at my office.

Garro, I agree with Cajun, that's beautiful work you do. Maybe some day I'll break down, pony up the $$, and put in an order for one. I'm sure that is a major work-out. Glad that you have a year's worth of orders. In today's economy that shows how much people appreciate your craftsmanship.

For those who are walkers, I'm wondering if I need to be more diligent to stand every 30 minutes for about 5 minutes throughout the day. Perhaps that way I could gain more endurance for standing. It's tempting just to hang out in a recliner all day. For CCS people, neuro fatigue is a major challenge, just trying to push ahead to gain more stamina.
    CCS/Walking Quad

There are too many beasts on this forum...

I went to the y today. I sat beside the vending machines, wrote poetry, and kicked it with old folks. I was working out, but my buddy bailed on me, and then I fail in a nasty transfer to one of the machines. I have been working up the nerve to go and start again.

That is one of the reasons KT was ordered, so I could figure out good methods of transferring to the gym equipment and set-up a nice lower and upper workout.

I have a table top pedaler... it collects dust.