Thread: What workout did you do today?

On my 23 mile ride I ran into the old vet that I was trying to get into riding. There he was on a loner hand cycle, riding along very slowly. He was on his second ride, and was on his way back home from town, a 13 mile ride. To me this seams like a long ride for someone just starting. The pour guy had a half flat tire, and the other two were low. He had never heard of a presta valve, and had no idea how they worked. I had my little pump with me and pumped up his half flat tire. It sure was nice to see him out riding, and hope he can somehow get a more permanent bike. The city of Eugene loaned it to him for a week, because he is a vet, but he is having a hard time getting the VA to get him one, and of course he is broke. Going to try to ride with him today, then I will know first hand, how my AB buddy's feel riding with me.

Katja Looking good. What a stud or studess. Thanks for the pictures.

Arndog Man you are really working those shoulders and arms and wrists. Hope your taking some time off every now and then to give them a change to recover. I'd hate for are hero to be laid up.

Steve Your are bike expert, why do my spokes keep getting loose on my hand cycle. My last ride, I was very glad I had a spoke wrench with me. Do I need to put some lock tight on them?
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post

Steve Your are bike expert, why do my spokes keep getting loose on my hand cycle. My last ride, I was very glad I had a spoke wrench with me. Do I need to put some lock tight on them?
    Are they radially laced with the spokes going directly from the hub to rim in a straight line, or do they cross each other in a "X"?

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Are they radially laced with the spokes going directly from the hub to rim in a straight line, or do they cross each other in a "X"?
    They cross with the x. I think its the same ones all the time. They are just as tight as the other ones after I get the rim straightened back out so I don't think it because they are to loose.

Have been swimming twice a week and commuting eight miles a day on the handcycle to work on a regular basis.
    Fire season is apparently in full swing! Depending on which direction to wind is blowing the smoke is nasty!
    Activity has drastically fallen off this week!

Any suggestions on walking your daughter down the aisle? Four days to prep!
    Biggest fear – getting tangled up in a big wedding dress and taking us both out!

Katja – Way to go on your trilithon! Good set of pic’s!

Back to basics for me. Saw my former PT for a session today. Was supposed to be for shoulder and knee but she snuck in some work on hips. Still a problem for me. It's been really hard to be off the leg because I feel really good. I'm challenged in fitting it all into the day.

You're all lookin' good!

Motivate me!

I'm on day 3 of a 10 day business trip, and I'm already wiped out. I know I would feel better if I ate less and exercised more (as in, exercised at all). I'm not talking major workouts, since I know I'm already wearing myself out working, but just lifting a little iron or getting into the pool would be a good thing.

I've been in the DC area since Sunday (hot, humid, over-airconditioned). Tomorrow I fly to Phoenix (hotter, dry, over-airconditioned).

There is a reason I don't work full time, and business travel reminds me why...

Yesterday - short crutch walk with wife and dog in neighborhood at dusk. The dog is so grateful to get out.
    Today - 6 hr handcycle - both sides of Monitor Pass. 36 miles, 5700 ft climbing. It was a climb fest. 50 mph max speed. Spoke to Will Lochenauer - he went down Monitor at 60 mph - whoa - scare ball . When you are 2 inches off the pavement , it really feels fast.

I've been busy with lots of PT exercises and work as usual. My shoulder is feeling better after only a week of working it. My PT is also helping get my gluts firing again. They are, but they're very uncooperative right now. Staying limber has been tough. I stand for an hour a day to stretch out and also do my normal stretches twice a day. Sure wish I could take a run around the block, but that's a ways off.

Katja, business travel may be all the workout you need. I remember those days as an AB and they were exhausting even then. You know not to expect as much of yourself as if you were rested and in a familiar environment.

If you can't get to a pool or to the hotel gym, can you do some stretching in your room, yoga moves, maybe? The act of tensing muscle might be enough to help you feel better during your trip.

You'll get back into the swing once your trip is over...quite sure on that!

Went for a ride with the old vet, who finally got a loner hand cycle. Rode way faster then usual, the 10 miles to his house, so I would get a good workout, before our slow ride together. He may be slow, after all he just started, but he gos and gos. The first time I have ever rode with another guy, down at my level, sure was fun. The guy was all smiles, I sure hope he can get a more permanent bike, I think it increase his life span a lot. After all theres nothing lot moving, to keep one going.

Arndog What kind of gearing do you have, to be able to climb all those mountains? I have a 22T-34T and sometime wish I had lower then that.

flying - I have a triple. I think I have a 11-32 cassette. I have a 53/something/something chainrings - I don't know how big the 2 smaller ones are and will have to go out to the garage tomorrow and see .
    Today - 42 miles/6000 ft climb/ 6 hour ride/7.1 mph avg. climbing/both sides of Ebbet's Pass and up and down Pacific Grade which had some 20 degree pitches. Absolutely great day. Most picturesque ride to date. Used to ride this as an AB.