Page 23 of 497 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323373123 ... LastLast

Thread: What workout did you do today?

L2R - muscle soreness is okay, but if you are getting nerve type shooting pains, you would be in denial to think that would get better. I would go back to the physio for alternatives. Your go for it mindset could be detrimental for your health (personal experience)

Steve - you are the man !
    Alpentalic - more good freebie advice.

Me - Today - 3.5 hrs snowshoeing. 1200 ft climb
    garage handcycling - 30 minutes

Good job everyone !

Been sick the last couple of days Just balance & ankle ROM exercises for me, though I did standing calf raises yesterday and swung my ice tools (3 sets of 30) .. planning to get out to the Ouray ice park in a couple of weeks.

Went climbing in Lee Vining Canyon again on th15th -

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    L2R - muscle soreness is okay, but if you are getting nerve type shooting pains, you would be in denial to think that would get better. I would go back to the physio for alternatives. Your go for it mindset could be detrimental for your health (personal experience)

Me - Today - 3.5 hrs snowshoeing. 1200 ft climb
    garage handcycling - 30 minutes
    Is that a hint of do as I say, not as I do (LOL)!

But yeh - I don't mind pushing it when its just good old muscle soreness. That has a 'feel good' slant to it. When the nerve pain kicks in it just drags me right down emotionally as well as physically.

Cycling is still fine though - end of 3 week training cycle so this week was a biggy, logged up 400 km. Nice easy rest week coming up.

I'm still finishing healing a surgery wound on my butt which is now the size of a nickel, but I couldn't resist downhill skiing today! New torso muscles, stomach, lower back and obliques make it feel like I have to learn all over again, but in no time, pull'n g's is the best!

Pat

Exercise? Got in the 34 degree water in a pair of waders, held onto a 8 hp motor and washed out razor clams the last few days. Wind was from the north and howling. Pulled in 4 figures, got my ass kicked, but it's good to be back and doing something. Getting in and out of the boat looked like rhyang on an icey cliff. But it all was for the best. Took the nice day off and I'm off again. I'll loose this quad gut, AB Tommy is waiting, and it's time to go again. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get my iceboat on the ice, without killing or hurting myself, then I'll be living. For now I'll watch the latest developments on stem cell projects and wait. Things are looking good.

Pat - glad you are back. I assume you ski at the high speed groomfest Sun Valley. So beautiful there. Have you run into a friend of mine, Sigi Vogl?

Rhyang - great photos - the ice looks great. Have fun in Ouray and take lots of pictures. I spent one winter ski bumming/ice climbing in Telluride so I used to climb Ouray ice back in 1989.
    Alhavel - what you are doing makes ice climbing look like a cub scout activity.

Today -
    Didn't leave the house today.
    Garage Handcycling with magnetic trainer. 45 minutes - average heart rate 128 bpm. I did seven 2 minute intervals with 1 min. rest. Makes the workout less boring watching the clock....

Rhyang - that is fantastic! I'd love to try that. Is hypothermia a problem? I tried rock climbing using only arms post injury, lol I didn't get very far.
    Alhavel - you have to keep us posted on the ice boat...
    and good stuff Pat
    1.5 hours snowboarding (with kneebraces & poles) today and 2 hours standing nordic skiing on friday. I can't believe it, nordic was way more enjoyable.

Yesterday
    strength training - core, hips, gluts, quads, hamstrings
    20 min treadmill - speed 1.8km/h
    worked on stairs with physio

I miss hiking with my dogs but I just can't manage the snow. It is still knee deep on our property and looking out my window it seems like it will be months before it is melted. I do lots of indoor activities with them but it is not the same as a good romp outside. I have flyball tonight with Kate and Rosie. that is often more of a workout than my official workout

Alex - postholing in deep snow is a problem for everyone; that's what snowshoes are for

SS - I just have to keep my core warm, stay hydrated and well fed; when I stop or am standing around belaying I wear an insulated jacket & mittens and have my thinner gloves for climbing inside the belay jacket; when I'm climbing I take off the jacket & mittens and put on the climbing gloves which are by now nice and warm. Really it's the same thing I did before my injury, but I need to be extra careful.

btw I saw this over on the Paradox Sports website :

http://www.paradoxsports.org/news.php?post=13

"Paradox Sports is pleased to announce the second annual gathering of Gimps On Ice in Ouray Colorado on March 6th, 7th and 8th, 2009. Over the weekend 10 disabled athletes will descend on the Uncompahgre Gorge in Ouray Colorado to face the mile of vertical ice in the gorge, learning about the specialized equipment and techniques needed climb vertical waterfalls. Men and women who are missing limbs or eyes or the use of their legs will gather to challenge themselves physically and mentally and, especially to challenge the common perception that an amputee is handicapped or that a blind person must, by default, lead a second-rate life. Malcolm Daly, Executive Director and amputee, puts it succinctly: 'Ice is the great equalizer. None of us can climb it without adaptive equipment. We just go one step further.'"

Jon - sounds like a fun time in '89 .. hard for me to imagine what climbing was like back then. I only started in 2004 myself.

Hi Arndog!
    Yes I was injured May 2007 t4/5 complete but working hard on recovery. Can stand with walker wityh knees locked (that is a recent improvement!)
    Saw you ski? I had a lesson yesterday... have had 3 or 4 now and love it! Go once a week to an indoor ski place, will go on hols next season.