Page 22 of 497 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313272122 ... LastLast

Thread: What workout did you do today?

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Alex - how well and what happens when you climb stairs. I have to hold on to a bannister and use a lot of upper body. I used to try to work out by doing stairs, but the next day, I had big time leg pain so I backed off. Gravity must be pretty strong here in Nevada
    I can go up stairs pretty well however I have great difficulty going down. going up I use my good leg to power my bad leg up and don't have trouble unless the toe of my bad leg gets caught on the step. going down I have to go down on my bad leg first because it has the KAFO on it and I am ok stepping down with it but when I try to take weight of my good leg to step down with it I always lose my balance forward. I don't use the bannister - just one crutch because I only have 1 arm that supports weight and it doesn't have full grip. I use to try it with 2 crutches but sometimes got the crutch on my bad arm stuck behind me. If I try stepping down with my good leg first, my bad leg sometimes gets stuck behind me. I can't find a video of me coming down - here is one of me going up the steps backward - which is how I did it originally.
    http://www.sci-step.com/Susan%20taki...%208292008.AVI
    Last edited by AlexAgain; 01-23-2009 at 11:46 PM.

Hi Guys...
    This is what i have done today..
    I hour on motomed gear 2.
    half hour floor work (kneeling, all 4s etc)
    30 mins on treadmill
    30mins standing in frame working on locking knees
    1 hour in standing frame including exercises
    80 sit stands
    I hour of electrical stimulation ( still doing that)

I go to the mind clinic in London and he expects a lot more than this!!
    www.mindinstructor.com

:-)

claire80 - welcome, may I ask what kind of SCI you are and when?
    hey alex, nice video.

Today -
    2 hours nordic sitski
    1.75 hours slowshoeing (snowshoeing)
    I have a pretty one track mind during ski season.

I feel stuck when it comes to exercise.
    Is there a piece of reasonably priced equipment that I could get that might help?
    Rich

Also, for aerobic work I want to get a handcycle. But, that's expensive.
    And an ergometer seems so boring.
    So I'm full of excuses.
    I want to commit to 30 minutes of arm movement and barbell work, right now!
    I'll be back in 30 minutes to report!
    Rich

Hey Rich
    what about 5 lb dumbbells (or sandbags) in each hand and do alternate arm boxing jabs with a stopwatch - I bet you could get your heart rate up - Anything with light weights and lots of reps !
    Jon

arndog,
    that sounds good.
    Just doing some movement for 1/2 hour and it feels good.
    I'll get some five pounders.
    Rich

I've been doing some of the glut/hip and back exercises the physio gave me and I start getting the nerve type shooting leg pains/burning feet thing happening after about 5mins or so which tends to set of back spasms. In your collective experience, would you persist in the hope that it will get better with work - or stop and head back to the physio for other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Hey Rich
    what about 5 lb dumbbells (or sandbags) in each hand and do alternate arm boxing jabs with a stopwatch - I bet you could get your heart rate up - Anything with light weights and lots of reps !
    Jon
    I second that - when I'm away from my equipment I do these too. If you can sit forward on the edge of your seat or transfer onto the edge of a chair, you can really vary your punches and work the back and core muscles. I try and throw as much of a twist into as I can and am winded and worked after 20 minutes.

Good ol' arm circles are good too. Arms out stretched, crank out as many small circles as you can and gradually widen your swing. Palms up then palms down, forward and backwards for variations. Really opens up the chest, loosens and strengthens the shoulders and gets the heart going. All for the price of free!

i filed metal for 3 hours, then dragged a 30' hose with a 3lb brass spigot around the shop with a 6000*F flame on the end while i spun around a 5-lb weight with the other for about 45min......pretty average day.......steve.