Thread: What workout did you do today?

Quote Originally Posted by Jett View Post

Question: Has anyone run into a large predator out on the trail? We have the mountain lion, Black bear and now a large wolf population.
    I have yet to but, The thought is a little spooky! 99% of the time they would probably back down......1%????
    None with large predators, but one time I had an encounter with a mean looking Ram big horn sheep… He came down on the trail and stopped right in front of me. He sat there and looked at me for a couple seconds then he started bobbing his head up and down and made a snorting noise. I think he didn’t like the posture I was in because I was leaning over forward with my head down on the One-off. I didn’t want to see if I could win at butting heads with a Ram, so I sat up straight on my knees and then he just turned and walked off the trail… Shortly before I saw the Ram, a female sheep came right up to me and tried to lick my arm. I wasn’t worried about her like I was the male, but I still didn’t want her getting that close so I just quickly pedaled away from her. I really wish I had my Gopro camera with me that day but I didn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee1 View Post
    None with large predators, but one time I had an encounter with a mean looking Ram big horn sheep… He came down on the trail and stopped right in front of me..
    I had this exact scenario go down on Schafer Trail in canyonlands. Nowhere to go as it's cliffs, so I waved my arms & made allot of noise. I think I quit looking like a sheep.
    Those things are really, really into body fluids.........they will go far out of their way to lick up piss, so I'm not suprised one would lick you for the salt......not that you smell like piss or anything.......

My, my, the only animals I see on my bike rides are squirrels and the occasional deer. I did come upon a black bear cub and her mother last year while hiking in the Shenandoah, well we came within 50 feet of each other. I was happy cub and momma didn't actually travel along the trail I was on but only crossed it. Reminded of how helpless I am in any such encounter, fortunately black bears are not known for aggressive encounters with humans.

Anyway, did some decent rides last week and capped it off with 41 miles on Sunday. It was really good.

This week has been very rainy and I've got crap going on that isn't making me happy. I gotta learn to roll with the punches a little better.

Devin, Interesting article and fun video...needed to be longer!
    Ricky has some huge guns! I wouldn’t have a prayer of keeping up!

Lee1/Steve, Good point! I remember seeing one of those when animals attack shows and they were saying that deer injure more people that bears! I have been close to big horns while in a car and they seem fairly docile but, it would be a whole different story on the One-Off!

Just got home from swim practice. Ready for bed!

Split Thread (software glitch)

He is a physiatrist (physical medicine and rehabilitation medical doctor)

I think that you are 1000's of times more likely to be bitten by a dog - i've come up on some dogs that had no idea what to do with me at all - bark & charge - and some that run up & give you a big lick..........you never know!

Quote Originally Posted by Jett View Post
    Lee1/Steve, Good point! I remember seeing one of those when animals attack shows and they were saying that deer injure more people that bears! I have been close to big horns while in a car and they seem fairly docile but, it would be a whole different story on the One-Off!
    I think they are usually docile, and it could have been my imagination but this one looked like he was in a bad mood and wanted to challenge me. He was bobbing his head and I have seen goats do the same thing when they are pissed off. I may have a pretty thick skull but a head butt with a ram might sting a little.

Back when i could still walk i saw a mountain lion in that same canyon... But I'll let the discussion get back to what workout did you do today.

My workout was Thursday. Not on a bicycle this time.

Two weeks ago, as part of an FAA medical exam, I had an EKG. Per usual, I have a "normal abnormality" that every nurse runs by the doc who then OK's it for transmission to the FAA. And the FAA has never complained with what they've been sent, they've been seeing it for the last 20 years. This time the EKG machine does its own little computer analysis and decides I've had an "inferior infarct, age undetermined" which is doc lingo for "he's had a heart attack sometime in the past" except I don't remember any such event. FAA says send us another EKG and I go back to the same FAA Aviation Medical Examiner and we get the same result. FAA guys in Oklahoma now say, go get a "nuclear stress test", a myocardial perfusion imaging study, imaging before and after time on a treadmill as well as a 12 lead ekg while on the treadmill.

I figure, OK, I can walk, not real fast, definitely can't jog (nil plantar flexion on the left foot) but with some incline I can get my heart rate up above the required min of 146 and probably close to my calculated "max" of 169. As I always tell people, when I walk it feels like I've got 50 lbs of weights strapped to my legs so I walk a little slower and with more effort than you might imagine. It's only 10 minutes and I can do that. My other choice is pharmacological induced heart rate increase because they don't have stationary bikes which would have been my preferred mode. I overhear them briefing some older woman on the drug induced heart rate routine and they start mentioning a side effect of diarrhea, umm, no way, I've got a finely tuned bowel routine that has taken me 2 years to get figured out and and I do not want to voluntarily mess with that. I really like not pooping my pants.

So, I'm getting all hooked up with the leads and the techs are briefing me on the routine and I tell them that as long as they can give me some incline I can easily get my heart rate where it needs to go. They say, oh, its a preset protocol and it will increase speed and or incline every 2 minutes, and I say "what's the max speed during protocol?" They say 3.5 mph and I don't remember the degrees incline because I'm thinking "I don't do 3.5 mph", my best average speed on 1 mile walks is in the neighborhood of 2.5-2.7 mph. It's got a handrail in front for me to hang on to, so I figure maybe I can do this since I won't have to worry about balance. And off we go... I don't remember if it hit max speed at 6 or 8 minutes but by then I was hanging on for dear life working my ass off, the techs kept yelling "are you having chest pains!?" and after a couple times of yelling back that the problem was my goddamned legs they stopped asking and started cheering and encouraging me because they knew that this was hard for me, and not just because of the cardiovascular effort.

I made it the full 10 minutes. I hit a heart rate of 182. Not bad for 51 years old. We do the cool down measurements and back for post exercise imaging. Cardiologist reads the result and gives me a 2 word summary, "everything's fine," no heart attacks in my past and everything else looks great. Everything gets mailed off to the FAA on monday and we wait for any new obstacles they might come up with. They've actually said that they are OK with everything I've sent them on my back and SCI, but I will need to demonstrate in an approved flight simulator or airplane that I can do everything with my legs that I need to do, that will be the final step. I am guardedly optimistic.

Took my dog by hand leash side by side
    I ( we ) covered 10 acres then 10 acres back to my house 20 in all I rolled in my elec wheelchair he just trotted by my side

After that good 2 hours outside

I decided to go inside my motorcycle shop , I then rolled my Elec wheelchair to the Life Strider old Treadmill and held on the side railings trying to work my legs some
    I set it on the lowest speed and Walked holding on the railings 30 minutes then took a water break then clocked myself another 30 minutes trying to walk on the machine

After that I went onto my butterfly hydraulic work bench and worked my arms Resistance level set at 5
    Did that 30 minutes

Did a bunch of stretches and trying to deal with very bad clonus spasms on my left leg it is shot but I am giving life my all .

Tomorrow i'll try to do some punches and focus on my hip strenghth and maybe go on the old stationary bike wheel thing .
    I want to just work out different muscle group cores every chance I get

Who knows ! if tomorrow I am up to it Feeling strong enough i'll go do a little ATV Quadding jockey shifting with my hand
    I find ATV riding great workout for my body , arms , Trunk , legs etc... I just have to be in the mood for some ol honkerin down the trails ...

Hopefully in about a week my Fiance' told me he is trying to get us a good bench and weights so we can do barbell type core work outs in certain Reps ..

Even though I can not feel much from my neck down to my toes I do find that some sensations feel like needle pricks and burning pain but I have been ripping slow rep excercises at my own pace ..

I believe that Even though I am numb I will never give up on hope and trying .

Hope you all have a great Sunday
    ((( Hugs ))
    GL

Hi Fred,
    I can really relate your treadmill story. I am a fairly strong walker, being able to walk about eight miles now, but I can't go fast because of my spasticity. Going 3.5 mph would probably give me a heart attack due to fear! Good job on the test and good luck on the simulator test.
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010