Page 18 of 497 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868118 ... LastLast

Thread: What workout did you do today?

Still no decent AFO so cycling has been limited to flat rides over the past couple of weeks and going a little nuts! Made me realise that its pretty much the only exercise I have been doing over the last year so perhaps I need to broaden my base a little. I tried swimming soon after injury but it used to trigger a lot of lower back pain but I haven't tried it for 12 months so might be OK now. Reading all this I guess the other option would be gym/weights. Has anyone tried a rowing machine??

Have my appt for new AFO on Wednesday and I sure hope they have one ready to go for racing Wednesday night!! BTW the avatar is from a recent road race - I can ride for hours, but stand up straight and try and walk (limp/lurch at about 1/2 the pace of my friends) and I'm fatigued and sore in about 5 mins .
    Last edited by live2ride; 01-12-2009 at 04:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post

-"windbreaker"- couldn't have weighed more than 5 lbs---this is where global warming comes from.
    Dude--my "windbreaker" is in my pants!......jus messn bad with ya! Im really darn jealous--you guys are kickn some serious butt! The sloeshoes and skiing stories are AWESOME!!!!!!!

Keep getting the fun done, I enjoy reading these posts.

45 minutes in the gym today. That makes 3 days in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by live2ride View Post
    Still no decent AFO so cycling has been limited to flat rides over the past couple of weeks and going a little nuts! Made me realise that its pretty much the only exercise I have been doing over the last year so perhaps I need to broaden my base a little. I tried swimming soon after injury but it used to trigger a lot of lower back pain but I haven't tried it for 12 months so might be OK now. Reading all this I guess the other option would be gym/weights. Has anyone tried a rowing machine??

Have my appt for new AFO on Wednesday and I sure hope they have one ready to go for racing Wednesday night!! BTW the avatar is from a recent road race - I can ride for hours, but stand up straight and try and walk (limp/lurch at about 1/2 the pace of my friends) and I'm fatigued and sore in about 5 mins .
    Wow that's me exactly. My doc says he can hear my joints snap and pop as I walk and I started using a kneeling stool at work because regular chairs hurt so badly.

I talked to him about adding triathlons to my weightlifting and was told flat out I could not run, to use a racing chair. Still have not tried the cycling part yet but may need a handcycle since i have hip issues too. Has tht been a problem for you?

regards

Brock

Go Josh, my395, rhyang, Brock,
    graybeard - since I have an ostomy above my waistline, the windbreaker actually serves 2 purposes !
    Yesterday - 60 min elliptical avg hr 121bpm, 15 min crutch walk.

Cave and Live2ride - have you 2 checked that you aren't injuring your joints by walking/running with the kind of weak muscles we have. It can put pressures on joints that can be deleterious if used to much. Look at the polio community with a hyperextended joints. The lack of sensation to the joints (ankles, knees, hips) worries me that I could develop a problem but not sense it.
    Just a thought to throw out to the group. It is a fine line.
    I mean, I can crutch walk, so... well, I want to do it for ....4 hours (enthusiasm). But what about longevity. It is this conflict that I deal with all the time.
    Consider para sports, like handcycling, wheelchair racing etc..... Just a thought.....
    Off to nordic ski this am....
    jon

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Go Josh, my395, rhyang, Brock,
    graybeard - since I have an ostomy above my waistline, the windbreaker actually serves 2 purposes !
    Yesterday - 60 min elliptical avg hr 121bpm, 15 min crutch walk.

Cave and Live2ride - have you 2 checked that you aren't injuring your joints by walking/running with the kind of weak muscles we have. It can put pressures on joints that can be deleterious if used to much. Look at the polio community with a hyperextended joints. The lack of sensation to the joints (ankles, knees, hips) worries me that I could develop a problem but not sense it.
    Just a thought to throw out to the group. It is a fine line.
    I mean, I can crutch walk, so... well, I want to do it for ....4 hours (enthusiasm). But what about longevity. It is this conflict that I deal with all the time.
    Consider para sports, like handcycling, wheelchair racing etc..... Just a thought.....
    Off to nordic ski this am....
    jon

Agreed Arn, I'm good for about an hour to 90 min on my feet and my lower back and hip start yelling for relief. As I get on I have a distinct roll to my gait.

The good news is my upper body is super powerfull (bench 315 for reps, body weight plus for dips, 305 lb shrugs) so a racing chair is in the works.

regards

B

I do worry about it a bit but seems the walking is the thing that really gets me - hip, knee and lower back all get very sore - I have that rolling gait thing going to and I reckon its got to do with my gluts or hip or something. If I try and take the weight on my bad leg, my opposite hip drops and I can't stop it happening. I can't imagine cross-country skiing again for example, and no way can I run but on the bike with the right AFO it all seems to feel OK.

That said, I am still trying to figure what my problems are exactly and I do plan on going back to my regular doctor and asking for a referral to someone who actually knows about these things to try and get more advice on what I the longer term outcomes may be. My surgeon was apparently a very good surgeon, but a bit of an idiot face to face who gave me 2 mins at followup and told me he had fixed everything (decompression surgery) so I 'should' be fine and just needed retraining. Needless to say I haven't been back to him!

In the meantime I use cycling to commute as well as race and just gives me the freedom to get around and compete on pretty equal terms. I am in the process of being classified this week for paracycling and if eligible, might try and get to our national championships in the next few months. Down the track if I can't ride, then I'm sure I will find something else - from what I have seen on this forum, there are plenty of exciting options out there to keep active and fit (I gave up on mountain biking, but love the look of those off-road handicycles!!!!).

Got my new BlueRocker AFO fitted no probs - under warranty (they will replace it twice with any of the line of toeOff products to give you a chance to get it right). Went for a size bigger and they jsut cut down the footplate - so its stronger and hopefully will stand up to th e punishment I dish out. So I've got my mojo back (read, got that spring in my step again - literally). The difference between this AFO and the plastic up the back of the calf job is like night and day. Hopefully all that hip, knee and back pain will settle back down and I can get back to the 'exercise and recovery' stuff. Only problem now is one everyone has - 37C here today (I think thats over 100F) so pretty dam hot for riding.

2 hour nordic sitski 12.5 miles avg hr 112bpm
    tomorrow - legs, walking, hopefully

4th day in a row at the gym for me. I've got to at least try and keep up with Arndog and some of you others.

I certainly worry about wearing about body parts with too much activity. It is a balancing act and I think we need to be careful.

I've been using http://fitday.com to track my program. Just started a couple of days ago. I like the idea of tracking everything in one place and having it online.