Page 14 of 497 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464114 ... LastLast

Thread: What workout did you do today?

45 minutes in the pool...stretching, PT routine, swimming.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Good job everyone !

Jon, nice pic ! I didn't take any pics of my tent while snow-camping that weekend unfortunately. What did you think of snowshoeing ?

New Year's Day went snowshoeing up to Red Lake Peak in the south Tahoe area and scrambled up to the summit: 4-5 miles / 1500' gain, class 2-3.

A couple who came up after me recommended I bring skis next time instead

The next day hiked into Lee Vining Canyon and toproped WI3 ice. Ooh, my calves and shoulders still hurt but the parts still seem to work Had to be very careful to keep my core warm and shake out cold fingers. Wish I'd gotten some pics, but it was windy and lightly snowing all day (heavily snowing on the hike out )

Quote Originally Posted by dunwawry View Post
    DeadEye,
    I am anxiously awaiting to hear back from them. Thank you so much!!!!

P.S. Just got a call from Caroline. I have all-day instruction set up with Stephen for next Saturday. I can't believe I am really going skiing!
    Well? How'd it go?
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by rhyang View Post
    Good job everyone !

Jon, nice pic ! I didn't take any pics of my tent while snow-camping that weekend unfortunately. What did you think of snowshoeing ?

New Year's Day went snowshoeing up to Red Lake Peak in the south Tahoe area and scrambled up to the summit: 4-5 miles / 1500' gain, class 2-3.

(picture)

A couple who came up after me recommended I bring skis next time instead

The next day hiked into Lee Vining Canyon and toproped WI3 ice. Ooh, my calves and shoulders still hurt but the parts still seem to work Had to be very careful to keep my core warm and shake out cold fingers. Wish I'd gotten some pics, but it was windy and lightly snowing all day (heavily snowing on the hike out )
    Awesome rhyang...awesome awesome awesome. I have redialed my program to strengthen every flicker of return in me and have all my mountain pictures and memories as motivation.

In addition to intensifying my workout routine and fine tuning my supplements, I've had the opportunity to start training on the lokomat. It is an amazing machine, my legs have been absolutely spent after 1/2 hour on it and they go crazy with tone at night but I love it.

Yesterday, I walked my farthest distance since injury (2 1/2 years c5/6) with the walker, sat down for a bit, walked the same length again back to the chair - rested a bit more - then walked back again at which point my body contracted in one giant spasm. Granted, it was only 40' each way but it was a mountain for me.

(also thx to WFE's earlier advice that walking is the best exercise for walking. I'd gotten lazy that way and am now walking every chance I get and it is making a difference already.)

Where to start?
    This thread gets me AMPED up.
    Rhyang - great job ! Lee Vining Ice - I climbed there as a AB many times. It is a bit of a grunt just to get there over the giant talus.

I did well snowshoeing. I think one thing I have to solve is keeping my legs and feet warm, don't know if that is an issue for you. Is it?

Alpintalic - your post was exciting and I am glad you got that walk in . That is such good effort. That is what it is all about.

dunwawry - how did it go??
    Go Danine and Alex - say hi to Fidel and his brother for me...

Today - day 2 nordic skiing. 2 hours sitskiing with Mark Wellman at Tahoe Donner. Then , I put on teleboots and skied upright (more like walked) on flats for 45 minutes. I looked very lame, because ... I am ... but it was so nice to be standing.
    Here is an old shot of me ice climbing in the Telluride area....

one more poser ice shot taken in Banff, Beautiful British Columbia, why not?

Wow, really cool pictures of the ice climbing!

Went skiing yesterday and had a blast! I did better than I thought. Of course, I spent a lot of time being helped back up, but by the end of the day, we figured out that I did better with trying to parallel ski then I did with snow-plowing and trying to manage wedge turns. Even got a couple nice hockey-style stops in. I was not only starting to remember what it is supposed to feel like when you ski, but even pull it off for up to 25 yards or so. Since I managed the tighter turns better than the gentle curves or the straight-aways, I told them I was aiming for the slalom races at the next Olympics. I'm going back next weekend if that is any indication of how enthused I am. The icing on the cake was that the people there were incredibly friendly and welcoming.

That is great dunwaw
    Did you use outriggers?
    Any special gear?

Just outriggers, but I am hoping to eventually be able to lose them too. Call me ambitious. I wasn't ever really using them, when I fall, I forget about them. Heck, when I fall on land, I never manage to get my arms out to break my fall either, spasticity kicks in and I go down like a board. Hey, just had a lightbulb moment, maybe I am supposed to be having them down in place before I start to fall????? When I was AB, I never used my ski poles either except for when I was trying to walk uphill or something, just carried them under my arms when I was skiing. Sometimes I didn't even bring them, one less thing to have to remember. They also haven't yet ruled out ski-bras.

Oh, and they had me wear a helmet, which was a good thing. I had just taken it off after removing my skis, forgot I had ski boots on still, and immediately went down and smacked the back of my head pretty good. Ouch. Figures I would get hurt as soon as I wasn't skiing. Glad I had some excedrin in my purse. That helmet definitely helps.

Now if they had some kind of contraption for getting me back on feet again.............

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Lee Vining Ice - I climbed there as a AB many times. It is a bit of a grunt just to get there over the giant talus.

I did well snowshoeing. I think one thing I have to solve is keeping my legs and feet warm, don't know if that is an issue for you. Is it?
    I hear you about the LVC talus, in early season it's a bit of a minefield. For the most part the last storm filled in most of it, so the boot track was pretty good.

I have a brown-sequard contusion, so my left leg / arm are weak, while the right leg doesn't feel much in the way of pain / temperature. So my left leg can feel freezing while the right leg just feels pleasantly warm Strangely though I can feel cold in the undersides of my feet. What's that all about ?

I put chemical toe warmers in my boots (same as I did pre-injury). That seems to work if it's not too cold (so far down to the 20's or so). Otherwise I figure I'll just wear plastics if I'll be standing around belaying all day or out overnight.

The main thing for me is keeping my core warm, since according to my rehab doc I have impaired vasoconstriction -- it was only in the 20-30's in LVC on Friday and I was wearing my BIG down jacket that I used to wear only if it was in the single digits. Basically I have to dress warmer post-injury, though the usual advice to stay hydrated & fed is probably just as important. If I'm in the sun or moving it's not as big a deal though.

As long as my core is warm and I am otherwise dressed warmly enough I'm ok. If I let myself get chilled, my left hand & leg tend to stiffen up.

Good job alpentalic ! I find that I get kind of a weird spasm on my left side if I haven't stretched in a while .. Saturday I spent about 8 hours driving for example. Still resting today, though I need to do some yoga soon

My pre-injury poser pic

December 2006 in Lee Vining Canyon, leading some WI3 on Chouinard Falls.

Hey Jon, isn't Banff in Alberta ?