Thread: What workout did you do today?

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    Sometimes I am not sure if I like this thread, I think some of you have to take care so you don't overuse your body. I didn't even have a chair for 34 years, I walked and skied and did everything possible for me, pregnant 3 times, and then the aging started and now I can't even stand for a second anymore. It is like a new SCI but this time it is coming slowly and it is not any fun at all. I could never run or jump and I had a lot of pain and I worked really hard to do like everybody else - and overused
    Wow, WFE, we have been living parallel lives! I was injured in 1970,
    was able to walk unassisted from '71-'96, then used a chair or scooter part time till 2006 and have been in manual chair fulltime for the past three years. I had two full-term pregnancies in '90 and '92 and pushed to keep up with kids, it was a challenge beyond any previous ones, but lots of fun.
    I agree that overuse should be an absolute concern over the long haul.--I wish I'd known to pace myself more and not try to push so relentlessly. My goal is to last as long as possible and be able to maintain independence. I took tai chi classes, ballet barre and yoga/pilates over the years, good for proper technique. My doctors explained to me that aging with SCI is similar to post-polio syndrome; the working muscle fibers we retain become overused and age faster from the extra work, so after some years they fatigue very quickly, take longer to recover. It's all chemical functions of the tissue, not a matter of willpower at that point. Now I can't walk on land anymore because I tore the meniscus in my right knee, it won't hold and surgery is contraindicated for me because of long recovery time..
    Before that fall, I'd already had too many falls, had broken toes, sprained and twisted parts...it was foolish, but i was stubborn. eventually walking took so much energy and focus I couldn't do anything else...it was very painful and fatiguing. The wheelchair I resisted for so long ultimately became a great relief from pain and more injuries....a big adjustment, again.
    Now I'm starting to have shoulder pain and problems from 3 yrs. of pushing my manual chair. It's tough to keep adapting, but exciting too, when you find a solution. Last year I discovered poolwalking, the ideal exercise for someone with my particular specs...it has so many benefits--resistance training, good cardio, a good fullbody workout, but not a falling hazard and afterwards it feels like I've just had a massage. I think if there were parallel bars set up in a pool, that many sci people could benefit.
    I'm inspired by reading this thread, but like WFE, I also cringe to read that some of you might be overexercising and may regret it in the future. To all you younger, driven sciathletes, please think longterm and train to maintain, make sure your body gets true rest and pain relief in between your workout sessions. I'll be thinking of all here and send energetic thoughts to you while trudging through the water......onward!
    ( WFE, let's correspond sometime about our similar sci journeys.)

Poolwalking. Canine lifeguard is on duty.
    Trudging back & forth for the duration of one music CD per session = a good and energizing workout.

I can't find a pool warm enough here, only in the rehabs. I need 36C or my lips and nails are getting blue after 10 minutes and my body gets stiff. And now it is so much snow I can't get out, it is snowing and snowing, and I have been driven my car with me feet all the time and my new car has hand controlls so I need a new lisence but I have only summer wheels on the car and that is forbidden and dangerous. I am waiting for the spring
    TH 12, 43 years post

Trust me WolfeMan I'm pushin' hard, but I'm gonna push harder. I've been reading about quadriplegia and brachicardia (abnormally low HR) and found out it is pretty common. I spent some QT with the weights today.
    "I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man"

The Dude

Crashbang - I appreciate your posts and respect your advice. I am sure that now with your wisdom and retrospective view of all your previous activity , pushing, and keeping up with your children, you wish you didn't push as hard because you think you would be better off now. But I wonder if someone told you this 30 years ago. Would you really have slowed down? Would you have lived differently? Those were great years that you participated in your children's lives. Would you have sat on the sidelines so that you would have a chance of not being back in a wheelchair 35 years later?

I ask this because I struggle with this question myself.

I am aware of post polio syndrome, who is your doctor that told you that post SCI people will go down that road?

Wise told me when I first wrote here. Then he told my SCI doctor here in Norway because I asked him to when he was in Bergen. And I wouldn't have been pushing so hard like I did especially when I really started to recognize I lost function. It was going so slowly, I didn't understand it before it was too late and I still didn't want any chair. I didn't have any chair when I started to write here and it would have made everything so much easier if I had said yes to the chair 5 years before, the first time I was offered one.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Post View Post
    Trust me WolfeMan I'm pushin' hard, but I'm gonna push harder. I've been reading about quadriplegia and brachicardia (abnormally low HR) and found out it is pretty common. I spent some QT with the weights today.
    Keep up the good work!!!

I got an hour in on the Vitaglide last night, felt like my best work out yet. I had rode the SciFit for two days to kinda give my arms a little break, so I was pumped on the Vita. Today, I'm gonna do the SciFit again and start switching every other day and see how that works.

BTW, since January 1, 2010 I've lost 6.4lbs.....53.6 more to go to get under 200 lbs!!!! It's coming off slower than I'd like, but from what I've read, the slower the better! 6lbs doesn't sound like a lot, but as they add up transfers, etc., will become much easier!!
    Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Crashbang View Post
    Before that fall, I'd already had too many falls, had broken toes, sprained and twisted parts...it was foolish, but i was stubborn. eventually walking took so much energy and focus I couldn't do anything else...it was very painful and fatiguing. The wheelchair I resisted for so long ultimately became a great relief from pain and more injuries....a big adjustment, again.
    you gals are judging us by the standard you have set without knowing anything about us. i quit walking daily a few yrs ago as it WAS blowing out my shoulders only a few yrs into my injury. i only walk when i travel or go to the store. all my home time & work are in a chair. i workout hard about once a week or life seriously is not worth it without going into the great outdoors. may i also say that childbearing may not have been the best path for your body but it added greatly to your quality of life and is something that you consider to be integral to your happiness - such is exercising in the outdoors for me. no kids here. i can't imaging carrying a toddler to be the best thing for an SCI. So: can we stop the thread drift from "you are all going to be bummed" {start a different thread on how to keep your body going - that would be helpful} and let's get back to "what workout did you do today" thanks! Garro.

i dont give 2 shits what anybody says. i will
    push myself to the edge until i drop dead. i have two speeds on / off.........i will run wide open until i hit the friggin wall. i was an athlete pre sci and still am, post sci.

i dont know how anybody ab or gimp can go even a week w/out exercise.

oh ya, im back to my normal routine for bulk/strength. 6 sets 3 reps, heavy heavy weight, cardio 5 days week. 20/40/20/40/20
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

30 minutes on the SciFit
    Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel