Page 10 of 497 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110 ... LastLast

Thread: What workout did you do today?

Hi Jessie,
    Good job with shoveling.
    I have a question for you. I looked at a picture of the DP AirGometer and it is a traditional bike seat, non recumbent. Do you have problems sitting on that? I would worry about skin breakdown and getting the neuropathic pain fired up. So I tend to prefer recumbent seating with some of my weight being taken by my back and not just my derrier.
    Were you okay with that seat?
    jon

Hey Jon,
    Great job with the snow-blowing! I have a question for you about skiing, and please forgive me if you have already addressed this earlier. I actually have read the whole thread, but can't remember, or keep track of who is who quite yet. You mentioned going skiing. I am a walking quad, no gimpliments, who used to love to ski pre-SCI. I haven't tried since my SCI, I have stuck to going out and trying to teach my kids (on foot myself) or watching because a) because my balance is messed up, heck walking down a mountain is challenging b) I now have spasticity to deal with and c) I wonder if I fell if I'd ever be able to get back up again (I remember how challenging it was able-bodied when I was first learning, much less now). Do you ski the normal way, with two skis? If so, any pointers? I figure if you can do it, I probably could too, since with the exception of my worst days (which are getting less and less frequent, 13 years post and still improving), I do better in the ambulating department than you appear to do.
    Laura

Hi Laura,
    Question to you:
    Are you talking about cross country skiing or downhill skiing?
    I can blab a lot about this topic so here goes:
    1. Downhill Skiing
    The best way to figure out what will work for you is to go to a great Adaptive Ski School. I don't know if there are any in NC. But you could try to find out through recreation therapists somehow.
    Let's say you find a school that has all the gimp toys there, they will get you skiing. There is always a way. Maybe all you need is outriggers. Or maybe you need both skis locked together with a hinge.
    Or, like me, maybe you need to sit down ! Sitskiing would be open to you and might be very fun.... But the key is to go to a great enthusiastic Adaptive Ski School like TASS (Tahoe A.S.S.) and they will make it work with a 'can-do' attitude.
    Or you could go it alone and rent some gear and invent your own technique. You will give your kids a big laugh when you try which is fun and they will love your effort and the fact that they might be better at it than you.
    2. Nordic (cross country ) skiing. This is what I really love, it is aerobic, mellow, calming, beautiful, nature-filled. There is got to be nordic skiing in NC. Okay, there are no adaptive nordic schools, period.
    So talk to surf_sister - she sounds like you physically and has the nordic skiing almost dialed. Maybe heavier, stable boots with wider skis with climbing moehair skins for stability. That is what she is doing. Or you can sit ! I did this for 6 years and loved it. You need a frame, check out my other posts on cross country to see what they are like. Then you just double pole in the tracks , and double pole, double pole.......till you are gasping for breathe.
    I posted a video of cross country nordic sitskiing a while ago.
    Now that I had a surgery that corrected my kyphosis and I am super fused in an upright position, I am going to try stand up nordic again and include snowshoeing which is stable , can't fall, can go off trail into the woods, maybe this is what we should all be doing....
    I may be so vertical now that I can't sitski anymore - fused from the pelvis through T11 - that would be the trade off.
    I am starting to ramble.... sorry. good luck......
    Jon

Gym today, Benched 225 for reps, first time since abdominal surgery and felt good, tho i need a new lifting belt, i've leaned out so much my old one is way too big. also did a new movement, reverse board presses, worked my tri's like nothing before OWWWWW!

Brock

I did my bike 20mins. I'm a quad want to work upper body and triceps , biceps , abs, chest, shoulders i need a routine for this. I thinking about joining a gym and pt help. 2009 golds
    coolbreeze c6/7

Keep on moving don't stop!

Quote Originally Posted by dunwawry View Post
    Hey Jon,
    Great job with the snow-blowing! I have a question for you about skiing, and please forgive me if you have already addressed this earlier. I actually have read the whole thread, but can't remember, or keep track of who is who quite yet. You mentioned going skiing. I am a walking quad, no gimpliments, who used to love to ski pre-SCI. I haven't tried since my SCI, I have stuck to going out and trying to teach my kids (on foot myself) or watching because a) because my balance is messed up, heck walking down a mountain is challenging b) I now have spasticity to deal with and c) I wonder if I fell if I'd ever be able to get back up again (I remember how challenging it was able-bodied when I was first learning, much less now). Do you ski the normal way, with two skis? If so, any pointers? I figure if you can do it, I probably could too, since with the exception of my worst days (which are getting less and less frequent, 13 years post and still improving), I do better in the ambulating department than you appear to do.
    Laura
    Laura, if you'd like to give skiing a try, I recommend a short trip up to Wintergeen in Virginia. They have one of the most respected adaptive programs on the east coast, with qualified instructors, and I promise you'll have a blast. Check them out here:

http://skiwas.org/

Tell Z that "Crash" sent ya
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Hi Jessie,
    Good job with shoveling.
    I have a question for you. I looked at a picture of the DP AirGometer and it is a traditional bike seat, non recumbent. Do you have problems sitting on that? I would worry about skin breakdown and getting the neuropathic pain fired up. So I tend to prefer recumbent seating with some of my weight being taken by my back and not just my derrier.
    Were you okay with that seat?
    jon
    Hi Jon. I have no sensation on the seat at all, but don't have any problems riding a standard bike and bike seat (probably better off than my cycling buddies in that respect - no sore butt issues at all LOL). In fact, if you get the seat right, the weight is on the sit bones (as well as some is taken by the arms) - so it actually takes the weight off the sacrum and I find sitting on the bike more comfortable (20 mins is about my limit on a chair - but I can ride for 3 hours +). Probably depends on the spine itself though - if you are fused you might not be able to get into a good position that is comfortable.

Wearing good quality chamois bike shorts is essential for wicking away moisture and providing padding - but I also need to check for 'saddles sores' after ever ride because I don't feel them developing. Also check out the paracycling from Beijing (youtube has a few) - there a few incomplete para's/TM cyclists on normal bikes with AFO's and significant leg weakness. I would never have thought I could ride and race a conventional bike it I hadn't of met/seen some of these guys.

Today: 3 hill repeats this morning, 2.5km climb at 9% gradient + 12km there and back. If its not to hot (forecast 32C here) then some sprint work this evening.

live2ride - I bet you have both your gluteus muscles to protect your ischia (sit bones). I have 2 strikes against me, 1. lack of sensation, 2. lack of gluteus muscle on the left side so it is just skin and then bone. My right side has a 2 inch slab of gluteus to protect the ischium.
    I am glad you are careful and check yourself....
    I used to race ultradistance cycling races and did the Furnace Creek 508 - 508 mile 'time trial' in 35 hours. Only 45 minutes off the bike total. Kind of a sick sport... It was a RAAM qualifier. We were way into butt care for cycling, Chamois butter was big, suspension seats, double shorts and quiet pedaling. It was fun.
    Good job down under, mate! But how 'bout converting those strange kms to miles? (joke) ;-)
    jon

oops, I forgot to write today's w/o:
    60 min elliptical
    60 min stationary cycle
    30 min handcycle indoors

Thanks Jon! Actually I was more interested in alpine skiing. I never did try cross-country skiing, always sounded like too much work for me, LOL. I had no idea there were "gimpliments" out there for skiing, too. Still learning something new everyday.

And thanks bunches to you, too, DeadEye. I spent some time going over their website and it looks really, really cool. I am positive that between the ski-bras (yep, not being able to keep my skis from flying every which direction was definitely a concern) and a couple of outriggers to aid in balance (new terms for me, that's for sure) I can nail this sport again. And fortunately, even if I do fall, and I am sure I will, snow is nice and cushy. I already filled out my application and sent it along, including a mention that "Crash" had turned me on to the place. They won't hold that against me now, will they?