Thread: What workout did you do today?

No, NO! Revis, thank you for posting about MFounlacker. But this is awful news. If you are in touch, please let him know his CC friends are thinking of him. I will personally be praying for him.

This is one of the SCI lessons that has been the hardest for me to accept....life is fragile for anyone. It is much more fragile for those with SCI. How can we maintain a zest for life and adventure without living in fear of injury? Or do we? Do we just go for it and accept what happens when it happens? No one who posts here is timid so I know you understand.

I wouldn't wish one journey with SCI on anyone....much less, two. I'd rather buy the ranch than go through that again.

Just feeling really low about this.

Here's the latest from Mark's wife...still somewhat vague.

"Just left Mark for another night. He is doing as well as can be expected. Breathing tube major annoyance as it is uncomfortable and hinders almost completely being able to communicate. Doctors decided they do want to go back in to increase space by spinal cord. Not happening for a few more days unfortunately. But, he is in great hands and they have a plan. So we will be patient so that surgery can be done under optimal circumstances. That's all for tonight. Very tired. Love to all of you. He is aware of all of your messages and is again overwhelmed by the outpouring of prayers, love, and support from all of you. Goodnight! And THANKS!"
    CCS/Walking Quad

I have posted a message on MFounlacker's FB site letting his wife know that we are all thinking of him. (BTW, his Facebook name is Mark Founlacker.)

I agree, Truly, that having to accept our new limits because of sci is a real challenge, physically and emotionally. I'm doing a heck of a lot, but it comes with pain, weakness and limitation. All of that makes me wonder if I'm being foolish, or if it's a good thing, that is, trying my best to live as much normal life as I can in spite of the limitations and challenges. I've been out fishing on local Idaho rivers a lot this summer. Have been pleased with my gains in endurance. However, I had a fall in the midst of big boulders trying to move from one pool to another on Tuesday. No real damage. However, it scared me and made the rest of my day less enjoyable. I was so proud that Mark had progressed with skiing and knee surfing and now this is such a blow. Really feel bad for him.
    CCS/Walking Quad

Sad news Revis! Wishing him a complete recovery or at least to the point he was previously.
    I will try to post something on his FB page.

There is risk in anything activity a person participates in. I need to push to keep the zest for life burning.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1977 - C5 ambulating Quad

lets hope mflounlaker -pulls through.
    Today - kayaked 11 hours total in Lake Tahoe. 43 miles 2 crossings of the lake one 10 miles, the other 17 miles.
    I am wiped out in a good way.

Just tonight I climbed up a 1300 foot tall antenna and jumped off of it. It was exercise, and it was fun, it was also scary, it did add some amount of unnecessary additional risk for another SCI (heavy on my mind considering what's happened to Mark F), and my surgeon would definitely not approve, but most importantly it is an experience I'm passionate about and the ability to enjoy anything like it again considering the circumstances is an incredibly rare gift.

That isn't to say that I'm ignoring the reality of my SCI. There are whole categories of experiences within air-sports that I will never have because they are more technical and require a skill-set and physical capabilities that I simply don't have and/or would require too much risk to acquire. Furthermore, I approach the limited amount of things I am willing to do with a very (sometimes overwhelming) visceral sense of trepidation that keeps me paranoid enough to wait for nothing but perfect conditions, keeps me operating at a good and slow pace (not my forte), and keeps me appreciative of the moment in a way that lacks the drive to push limits as I did before. My comfort zone has been drastically reduced in size and scope, and in a lot of respects that's probably a good thing.

From day one and onward, SCI life is just like that. Whether you're grappling with precarious feeling of going out somewhere unpredictable with KAFOs and a walker, sorting out if you should try to cross that river, deciding whether it's a good idea to put hand controls on a dirt bike, apprehensive about the challenges of airplane travel with a wheelchair, trying to figure out whether your habit of ugly limping is going to bite you in the ass with debilitating back pain in a decade or two, or just deciding whether you should go back to work, you are dealing with a severely restricted comfort zone that is even more confining in scope than your physical limitations.

On the one hand it'll keep you safe, but on the other hand it'll keep you from fully enjoying whatever recovery you have. After all, what's the point of getting better if you're not going to enjoy it? Personally, I obsess over this dilemma but I suspect that it is at least ever present in the background for everyone who is dealing with an SCI.

There are no obvious answers, but my take on it is that I ask myself one question when fear grates up against things that are important to me: is this keeping me from experiencing something at all, or is it just keeping me from experiencing something in this particular context? If it is keeping me from experiencing something in a particular context, then it's good fear. It'll keep me safe and cause me to change the context in some way so that things are more safe the next time around. But if it is keeping me from experiencing something at all, then in most cases that's worth ignoring.

It's an imperfect system, I know, but I think a heightened physical apprehension and fear comes with any first hand experience with grave injury and I'm gambling that if I can have that inform everything I do but still keep it from limiting me altogether, then I'm probably finding some middle ground that is within my capabilities and yet still allows me to figure out a way to push myself into wonderful places I thought I had lost. I think (hope) it is a safe gamble, but one way or another I do know it is a gamble that is worth it to me.

So whatever you do, just do your best to not let your injury and fears get in the way of doing things you love that you are otherwise physically capable of doing. There are a lot of reasons, but if nothing else I think we should have a particularly acute appreciation for how precious physical capabilities are. We will always need various accommodations and we will definitely have to take it slower, but where there's a will there's a way and in most cases the payoff is huge. Unfortunately it won't always be a happy ending, but that's too unpredictable to worry too much about. It sounds like he was careful, and it's not like he was knee-surfing huge waves off of Portugal. It could just as easily have been any of us in a car accident.

I wouldn't wish what Mark's dealing with on Hitler and nor would I wish even what we've been through on him. However when such unfathomable things do end up happening, the only thing left to do is find ways to rebuild as much of yourself as your physical reality will allow. You have a heightened sense of caution to keep you reasonably safe while doing it, and odds are you'll have the attitude to make it happen.

Because let's not forget the other thing that y'all have that can come with any first hand experience with grave injury: a few metric tons worth of determination. Mark's definitely shown that he has it, hopefully it'll carry him again.
    Last edited by shveddy; 08-08-2014 at 03:35 AM.
    L2 incomplete with a pretty bad limp since 10/31/2011.

SHVEDDY - nicely written - some people , like you , are just hardwired to jump off low towers. There is no great rational for this - it somehow feeds your soul. You are who you are. I don't think the goal is to reach an old age with SCI when you would be to debilitated to do what you did last night. I am planning on using these joints, ( I don't have many left do to extensive fusion) till they wear out. That'swhy I paddled 40 miles yesterday on Tahoe crossing the lake twice in open water - it feeds the soul. I am hard wired to do this. If you need an explanation, you won't understand.

Did you go with anyone else?

Wow this really sucks for Mark, sorry to read about his new injury, and wish him the best. A friend of mine compressed his spinal cord, and could not move as muscle for nine days, but made a complete recovery. I hope this is the case for Mark.

I'm still around, riding both my bikes and getting a new life, after my separation. Glad the rest of you guys are still moving as much as possible.

David
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Quote Originally Posted by Revis View Post
    I agree, Truly, that having to accept our new limits because of sci is a real challenge, physically and emotionally. I'm doing a heck of a lot, but it comes with pain, weakness and limitation. All of that makes me wonder if I'm being foolish, or if it's a good thing, that is, trying my best to live as much normal life as I can in spite of the limitations and challenges.
    Almost a decade in & I bet Arndog backs me on this is that you get used to the "6-8 weeks off" gig a few times a year…..

So sorry to hear about Mark. He is such a great voice on this site and apparelyzed.com, so enthusiastic, encouraging, and determined. Those qualities should help him deal with this most recent debacle. I'm currently on vacation at Kiawah Island in South Carolina. It brings back memories of my SCI in the surf and Mark was certainly on my mind as well. Going through the hell of SCI is bad enough, but going through it twice just doesn't seem right or possible. Here's to hoping that your cervical injury is very incomplete Mark. My thoughts will be with you.

Nicely written piece Shveddy. Finding that balance between safety and risk is such an individual thing. Getting an SCI makes you realize how tenuous this life is and how important it is to live life to the fullest while you're here, whatever condition you're in.

Sorry have been off the site lately. We have been dealing with aging parents. Still enjoy reading about everyone else's exploits.
    Last edited by Dan F; 08-08-2014 at 01:40 PM.