Thread: What workout did you do today?

My workout today consisted of coaching my lax team during a two game play day. 4 hours on my feet with a cane and lacrosse stick. I am really able to ditch the cane and warm up our goalie which I always loved to do. I pace the sidelines. Then at the end I have to hold my cane on my weakside to walk the line and shake hands. This may be one of the best all round life work outs I do.

In the gym I switched back to a heavier resistance work out with weights from my body weight squats and dynamic standing balance routine. Gonna hit the weights harder for 6-8 weeks and see if I can squeeze some more strength improvements out. I still warm up with 20 minutes on the spinning bike and squeeze in some upper body stuff as well.

Weather is warming up. I am ready for some hikes. I am planning a trip to the Shenandoah with my brother for some hiking. I was thinking about doing a 5k for charity as well. Keep it up all you guys. Hope you are healing well Arndog.

Our local Paralympic Club track workouts started today. 60 degrees, killer winds. After warm up, we did an ascending/descending workout of 1 lap, 2 laps, 4 laps, 4 laps, 2 laps, 1 lap. My muscles feel ok, but I obviously lost aerobic capacity over the winter!

I get on a stand daily but I workout like 3 days a week and only 3 to 5 sets, push ups, dumbells and i must admit I live in the worst city in this country Camden, NJ. I have no PMR or any support group to go and meet people I can relate. I was told from the Head PMR in Kessler that SCI dont have pain! Security had to excort me out lol but seriously, he told me to detox of methodone. I believe it was personal cause I wrote my last PMR due to dismissing me out of his care over a lab report that i know it was a error. It said methodone was not 0mg in my system. He was new and I was upset that he didnt support me. He was amaze to my knowledge and how I cope! He took another urine the same month and it was good. Yet he sat me down with praises but the sad thing is he had to let me go under this contract they make u sign. I stay in my apt alone just about everyday. drugs on every cornor, addicts ODing dead is what im surrounded constantly. Helicopters every day recording. Im sick of this place but sorry for changing topic. I lately take a toke of weed and Im amaze to how it bring life to me. I gave up on my legs etc but i can sense a feeling that make me be more motivated. Working out on weed pushes me to the max. I have be my own terapist and hoping for a blessing so I can live amongst good people, O'well! God bless us all!
    life begins when you walk in spirit papito189@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Just paddled & fished for 6hrs/5mi of river - fishing was AWESOME inc. this 20" Largemouth...............
    Nice bass there, Steve. That sounds like some really fun fishing and paddling. Papito, sounds like a tough place to live. Wish you could come out west. Dan F, Katja and MFlounlacker it's good to hear you're doing stuff; there are all kinds of ways for us to work out.

My toughest workout was getting up at 3:45 AM last Monday and flying out to Milwaukee, WI, then driving 2 hours to Green Lake for four days of meetings in 33 degree daytime temps. Meanwhile sun was out and warm back in N. ID, 70 degrees two of those days. Nuts. Green Lake was frozen and WI was brown with snow patches.

Yesterday skied four runs in wet, slushy conditions. Not much fun because of super-grippy snow. Wore me out quickly. Season is done for me, but managed to get in 6 days; more than paid off next year's season's pass.

Today I was able to walk 2.68 miles in 38 minutes. 14.15 minute mile average. Eight jogging stints in the mix. Need to do upper body routine, but have been lazy and traveling too much. I'm wanting to get out and ride but lots of rain happening.
    CCS/Walking Quad

Revis I hear ya on getting out, but its been raining cats and dogs out here on the coast. So I stayed in and walked as far as I could with the AFOs and side stixs. Made it 1800 feet, not exactly the grand canyon but farther then I have gone before. Was really arming it the last 200 feet. But it wasn't that long ago that I was arming it to make it 200 feet. 3/23\12 was all proud that I made it 150 feet.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    Revis I hear ya on getting out, but its been raining cats and dogs out here on the coast. So I stayed in and walked as far as I could with the AFOs and side stixs. Made it 1800 feet, not exactly the grand canyon but farther then I have gone before. Was really arming it the last 200 feet. But it wasn't that long ago that I was arming it to make it 200 feet. 3/23\12 was all proud that I made it 150 feet.
    I think that is huge progress, flying. To go from 200 feet out to 1800 feet is a major accomplishment, over 1/3 of a mile! You work out as hard as anyone I know! Too bad about the rain, huh? Rained all last night and still raining this morning. Tired of it.
    CCS/Walking Quad

Mission complete. 3.7 miles and 12 obstacles ranging from mud pits with barb wire to elevated plank walks and a fire jump. I'll post some action pics later this week.

My calf acted up about a 1/2 mile in so I walked for a minute then picked up the pace and gutted it out. It was a great experience!

Group picture before the race. I'm the bald guy in the middle. I ended up being the fastest in my group anyways...

gvinton,
    That's an exciting looking start, one to really get your adrenaline going. Hope you had fun.

I just put completed a week of riding my bike 290 miles. It was encouraging.
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

Man- I so want to do a race like that. Maybe one day.

Today I made it through my entire 2 hour lacrosse practice with no cane. All I had to balance was my lacrosse stick. This is a big deal. So stoked to still be improving on regular basis.

I have an in-grown toe nail on my bad side which has been hampering my rehab somewhat. It hurts very bad when I try to do my dynamic standing routine. I have had to lay off those for a while.

I am going to Walter Reed tomorrow to help out with a wheelchair lacrosse clinic with Wheechair Lacrosse USA. I am so excited to be a part of it.

Thank a vet!