Thread: What workout did you do today?

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    How did you like it?!?!?
    Kayaking was great. I sailed a lot before my injury, but had to get rid of my boats. Getting back on the water felt super. It's good exercise and it's freeing to be on the rivers and creeks. There's a ton of places to kayak around here. Right now I feel dependent on my AB kayaking buddy; perhaps I can gradually figure out mobilizing and transporting on my own. Will keep you posted.

Been busy the last few weeks on three different mountain bike hand cycle camps.
    Attached is a slide show of or Sun Valley/Stanley ID. outing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W340wLiqdMs
    1977 - C5 ambulating Quad

Quote Originally Posted by Dan F View Post
    Kayaking was great. I sailed a lot before my injury, but had to get rid of my boats. Getting back on the water felt super. It's good exercise and it's freeing to be on the rivers and creeks. There's a ton of places to kayak around here. Right now I feel dependent on my AB kayaking buddy; perhaps I can gradually figure out mobilizing and transporting on my own. Will keep you posted.
    Yeah…….that's hard.
    But, I really like the fact that it's the only time I can actually hang out with my AB friends, too.

Yesterday's 3.5hr ride was totally stunning.
    Check out my blog post, click on the 1st picture & then you can scroll L & R

http://coconinocycles.blogspot.com/2...-in-years.html

Here is a sample

Name:  IMG_5602.JPG
Views: 238
Size:  230.4 KB

You're right Steve, that looks like an incredible ride; those pictures are amazing.

Hi All, it's great to read of your adventures! I haven't had any big ones, myself, but life is an adventure all on its own. Work has ramped up for me and I've been putting in 9-10 hour days for the past month. Another three weeks and things should calm down. I've kept up with fitness pretty well. Most days, I fit in a half-hour of yoga or Pilates before work, then manage some treadmill in the evenings. When I assess progress it has to be in half-year increments or it becomes anti-motivational. So, when doing a yoga pose, I'll think back to where I was six months ago. That way, I can appreciate the improvement. I am getting stronger but know some deficits are there for the long haul.

I recently started as a Peer Advisor in the SCI unit I stayed in when injured. I feel the need to give back and this is a good way to do it. It's also been emotionally helpful in making peace with a situation that was and has continued to be so terrifying for four years. For a long time, I couldn't even drive past the hospital without feeling sick.

Keep on living large, everyone!
    Last edited by truly; 10-09-2014 at 11:51 PM. Reason: added thought

Mountain biked with Telluride Adaptive Sports in Moab for four days at
    their Moab Mania handcycle camp.

Very good time and a good way to meet other athletic adaptive riders.

The event is typically held the last of September or the first of October
    if anyone is interested for next year.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/TellurideAd...type=1&theater
    1977 - C5 ambulating Quad

Hi everyone - I just got back from rafting the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. 15 nights and 16 days. 2nd time in 2 years.
    Got a lot of rowing in- learned a lot- rowing a 800 lb boat was great exercise. There was exercise trying to manage life without a wheelchair on sand.This was a commercial trip so I had to really beg to row. Last three days, I went on a baggage boat with no other guests and rowed all the miles other than a few named rapids- exhausting for a newbie Grand Canyon rower. Sorry- didn't take a camera. What a great trip for an incomplete paraplegic or quadriplegic. Bladder management with a single Foley, prophylactic Macrodantin, and really pushing hydration.
    The greatest goal is just to complete the trip in one piece and no urosepsis.

Hi everybody!

Been a long time since I've participated here but whenever I come back I am in awe of those with more debilitating injuries than my own. Recap:I am about 5 1/2 years post injury. Incomplete injury. Neuro level is t12 but I also surmise I injured the Cauda Equina as explanation for my poor to non existent plantar flexion. Standard B&B issues, self cathing and the other assorted niceties. I can walk unassisted but not quite right and not quite normal speed. I ride a bike and have been happy that my average speeds get a teeny bit better every year. I average in the 13's and when I'm feeling particularly well and the wind is light and the humidity low I can sometimes hit a 14mph average over 20 miles or so (used to be about 3-4 mph faster pre-injury). Not sure if I could do a century but I've done a couple of 40 mile rides this year (broken up by lunch). Went to Maine in September for hiking and biking. Acadia National Park on the carriage trails with the bike, truly a great place for bicycling and it would also be great for hand bikes. Then it was off to Monhegan island for a couple days of hiking. I needed 2 walking poles to make that happen on some of the rocky and more challenging trails.

Sorefm - Good to hear from ya again, glad all is going OK. Keep on keeping on.

Arndog - Great trip, did you get to see my soul brother Steve?