Thread: What workout did you do today?

Name:  IMG_3189.JPG
Views: 186
Size:  190.3 KBDid a bunch of work on the house and went for a 3hr hand cycle ride.

Hi all! I haven't been on the Forum for a while but have been keeping up with everyone through email subscription, which is working again. I've had a rough go for awhile. For the past six months, I've had some troubling dietary problems. Things are finally straightening out but I've lost a lot of weight and some has been in the muscles that I've worked so hard to build up. This past week was extra hard. I lost my balance three times doing things that should have been really easy. No falls but some unattractive measures to regain balance. My composure is still MIA. Just off... ya know how that happens? Then, yesterday what I thought had been a pulled muscle earlier in the week developed into a rash and a warning bell went off in my head. A little internet investigation and a visit to the walk-in clinic this morning and, sure enough, shingles. Weird because I'd had the vaccine last year.

So, I feel like I've taken a big step backward in the strength area. However, pilates and yoga have been something I've been able to keep up with and my knees have almost their pre-injury range of motion. I'ts been a long, long road of stretches and certain yoga poses to get there.

I need to get back to a good program of strengthening and cardio but just not feelin' it. I don't want to hike the trails or walk outside. My confidence just isn't there right now.

I realize this is just a blip in the radar and that I'll find my way back. Diggin' deep to ignite that postive spirit.

My apologies for having been absent for so long but I felt like such a mess that I didn't belong here. That was pretty silly. I haven't forgotten any of you and have been so happy to read your posts of adventures and determination. You are my role models and your examples will help me find the mojo.

Quote Originally Posted by truly View Post
    Hi all! I haven't been on the Forum for a while but have been keeping up with everyone through email subscription, which is working again. I've had a rough go for awhile. For the past six months, I've had some troubling dietary problems. Things are finally straightening out but I've lost a lot of weight and some has been in the muscles that I've worked so hard to build up. This past week was extra hard. I lost my balance three times doing things that should have been really easy. No falls but some unattractive measures to regain balance. My composure is still MIA. Just off... ya know how that happens? Then, yesterday what I thought had been a pulled muscle earlier in the week developed into a rash and a warning bell went off in my head. A little internet investigation and a visit to the walk-in clinic this morning and, sure enough, shingles. Weird because I'd had the vaccine last year.

So, I feel like I've taken a big step backward in the strength area. However, pilates and yoga have been something I've been able to keep up with and my knees have almost their pre-injury range of motion. I'ts been a long, long road of stretches and certain yoga poses to get there.

I need to get back to a good program of strengthening and cardio but just not feelin' it. I don't want to hike the trails or walk outside. My confidence just isn't there right now.

I realize this is just a blip in the radar and that I'll find my way back. Diggin' deep to ignite that postive spirit.

My apologies for having been absent for so long but I felt like such a mess that I didn't belong here. That was pretty silly. I haven't forgotten any of you and have been so happy to read your posts of adventures and determination. You are my role models and your examples will help me find the mojo.
    Stick with it, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and carry on.
    It's all you can do.
    I wish I could say my life was not a string of good stuff interspersed with injuries and health issues, but that's what it is for us.
    Be Strong.

Swam 1700 yards at swim practice yesterday.

Went to a fundraiser the other night for my adaptive swimming program.
    The attached photo is me along with the programs service dog.
    Talia and I are pretty good buds.

Filled out the registration form this morning for this years Broadside Harbor open water swim event.
    Signed up for the one mile event and the 1/4 disabled category event the end of June.
    There are two other adaptive swimmers that have tentatively agreed to swim the event.
    Hopefully they follow through so, that I am not the only one in the event.

Wishing a speedy recovery to those fighting health issues.
    The day to day SCI issues are a challenge by themselves!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1977 - C5 ambulating Quad

truly, great to hear from you again - sorry that you've had some setbacks. arndog, I hope you're feeling better! Jett, looking good! MFlounacker, Adrian, flying, everybody else, great to hear that you are all out and at it.

We've found a couple of fairly wheelchair-accessible trails to push here in New Zealand, and I'm managing a stretch-band/luggage/bodyweight hotel room workout of pushups, overhead presses, crunches, rows (that grab bar in the shower with a stretch band around it works pretty well for rows).

Truly Glad your back. Wrote you a PM.

Made this walking video so I could see just what I look like walking and as a record of my legs. Watching this, its amazing that one can walk with such skinny legs
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Flying, those are some skinny legs, but you look smooth.

Went for a 35 mile bike ride today with my wife to where I saw a big gator on a previous ride, and today I got a photo. It's starting to get hot down here in the bayous.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  378.1 KB
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

Truly and Arndog, so sorry to hear about your issues. Definitely seems that any type of illness or injury is magnified and prolonged with SCI.

Always enjoy and get inspiration from everyone's posts and pictures.

I had a gastroenteritis illness one week followed by late season influenza. Was out of work for about a week and didn't exercise for almost 2 weeks. Feel tight and weak, but I'm trying to scratch my way back.

Sunday is the last day of IV antibiotics. PICC line out this Monday. Good - can start kayaking again. What a bunch of basket cases this group is - (including myself) - screw it - who cares. At least we aren't giving up and staring at the dry wall - . Flying - you sure can't be considered shy with that walking video in the bathing suit. My leg is about that skinny and atrophic too. It is all about having a strong upper body like a baboon.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Good - can start kayaking again. What a bunch of basket cases this group is - (including myself) - screw it - who cares. At least we aren't giving up and staring at the dry wall
    Getting a steroid injection in my shoulder so I can kayak the ferry all next week!
    Then I'll rest.