Thread: What workout did you do today?

This morning at 6:30 took off for a 30 mile Handcycle Training ride. 186 miles this week , 8 days until the Race.

Quote Originally Posted by truly View Post
    Cajun, thanks for responding. Biking is the one thing I'd most like to get back to. I used to commute part-way to the city for work and really miss it.

I have L1 and L5 injuries. Can't complain about the return. I've been pretty lucky. Last summer, I got a Eureka flat foot bike, thinking it would be a way to ease back into it. I just couldn't do it. I'm quite sure I'm strong enough. I work out on my road bike in a bike trainer with no problems. It was a mental block. I don't have normal saddle sensation and think that may be part of the problem. I also have delayed reflexes so I don't know how well I'd pull out of hitting a dip...or if my feet would cooperate. I've considered a recumbent trike. However, I'm in a high-traffic area and don't think I'd make it to the bike trail in one piece.
    I have been thinking about this and have an idea for something to try. The new way that people are teaching kids to rides bikes is to have them start with a bike with no pedals so that they can get the feeling of balancing. Without pedals you can sit on the seat and use your feet to push you along. Might this be a way that you can get the feeling and some confidence?

I understand the worry about traffic and trikes.
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

Cajun and Truly - may I throw in my two cents about the bike thing? If you are above 40 years old, and have trouble riding a bike, and have a fusion, my suggestion is to stick with a trike - Catrike or handcycle. I don't mean to be a 'Debbie downer' and I know you want to hold on to the notion of riding two wheeled bikes - I did for years- I got a cruiser and welded in training wheels, then I wanted a two wheeled recumbent but wondered how I was going to get my left foot out at a stop sign.

Struggle struggle struggle, then I realized that I am stuck with 3 wheels and had a blast with a hand cycle, not as much fun with a catrike cause my legs are so darn weak and it fires up the neuropathic pain terribly.

There is a lot of hope on this site about getting better, healing, new injuries - hopefulness, making muscles stronger... but if you don't have the innervation from nerves to muscles - you can't get stronger or hypertrophy(enlarge) muscle.
    That is reality.
    It is not a mind over matter thing - Go have fun with a trike driven by feet or hands and you won't fall off !

Hmmm....interesting suggestion about the bike with no pedals. It makes sense. We have some old cruisers in the family bike stock. I think I'll give that a try. I understand Arndog's advice, too, but I'm not ready to give up on it yet. I've been afraid of many things during recovery and have gotten over most of them with time.

....and I like the training wheels idea.

Today, 300 ab crunches and 41 minutes of Leslie Sansone aerobic walking.
    Last edited by truly; 06-07-2013 at 11:29 PM.

Truly the bikes are called striders and of course there for kids, but are we not starting over to a certain extent. My friends kids both learned to ride on them, and I think that's a great suggestion. After a while the kids started to just coast along with there feet pulled up. But I hear what Arndog is saying, it would be no fun at all to get another injury, or a re injury. The older women that I ride with all ride there brakes on the down hills, because there concerned about falling. One think I do notice on my trike is that when I'm cranking hard the bike seems like its trying to go from side to side, like my stroke is lopsided. But you have way more leg strength
    then me so maybe this will not be a problem. Hope it works out.

Crash86 where's your race at, and how long is it. I think about doing a race someday, but would probable get laughed off the course.

I rode so hard a couple of days ago that the next day I had to ride with out using the push forward part of the stroke. Great way to concentrate on just part of the circle.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    Truly the bikes are called striders and of course there for kids, but are we not starting over to a certain extent. My friends kids both learned to ride on them, and I think that's a great suggestion. After a while the kids started to just coast along with there feet pulled up. But I hear what Arndog is saying, it would be no fun at all to get another injury, or a re injury. The older women that I ride with all ride there brakes on the down hills, because there concerned about falling. One think I do notice on my trike is that when I'm cranking hard the bike seems like its trying to go from side to side, like my stroke is lopsided. But you have way more leg strength
    then me so maybe this will not be a problem. Hope it works out.

Crash86 where's your race at, and how long is it. I think about doing a race someday, but would probable get laughed off the course.

I rode so hard a couple of days ago that the next day I had to ride with out using the push forward part of the stroke. Great way to concentrate on just part of the circle.
    I really don't want to sound like Arndog but I have been hurt for 27 yrs and at first I was like im going to do this and that but once reality sank in I decided to concentrate on the good and positive things and really enjoy and become good at those things because there are obviously things I couldn't do even though I wanted to so bad.

It turned out that I enjoy life more these days I always try new things but some work some don't but I have found the things that don't you cant let those rule your life and bring you down.
    Just don't sell yourself short and keep trying something that probably in the end wont work to well when there are so many options out there that do work and you can have so much fun doing them without being concerned am I going to fall because of circumstances out of my control.

Flying..its a 26.1 marathon in Washington state..my half marathon training times are about 49 min.
    its about the challenge flying and pushing yourself to continue to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Cajun and Truly - may I throw in my two cents about the bike thing? If you are above 40 years old, and have trouble riding a bike, and have a fusion, my suggestion is to stick with a trike - Catrike or handcycle. I don't mean to be a 'Debbie downer' and I know you want to hold on to the notion of riding two wheeled bikes - I did for years- I got a cruiser and welded in training wheels, then I wanted a two wheeled recumbent but wondered how I was going to get my left foot out at a stop sign.

Struggle struggle struggle, then I realized that I am stuck with 3 wheels and had a blast with a hand cycle, not as much fun with a catrike cause my legs are so darn weak and it fires up the neuropathic pain terribly.

There is a lot of hope on this site about getting better, healing, new injuries - hopefulness, making muscles stronger... but if you don't have the innervation from nerves to muscles - you can't get stronger or hypertrophy(enlarge) muscle.
    That is reality.
    It is not a mind over matter thing - Go have fun with a trike driven by feet or hands and you won't fall off !
    NOBODY wanted to ride a two wheel bike againg more then me - they were my life, I lived for them 100% and still make a living from them.
    Everybody tried to get me to keep at it, and I told them that was the old me & I had to concentrate on just getting through life.
    Sea Kayaks & Duckies have filled the void.
    It's a whole new paradigm & a new life.
    Not to be a Debbie Downer as well, but I'm not going to Pollyanna it all either.
    Look - this was ME.

Just got in a good hour in the gym followed by an hour on the trike. I'm gradually getting faster, average speed and cadence slowly but surely creeping up.

I've been entangled in the 2 wheel/3 wheel dilemma as well. Cycling, mostly road biking, was my primary focus for years, right up until my injury. The thought that I'd get back to it is part of what drove my determination in the early phase of my recovery. I had a friend hoist me on to my road bike on a trainer a little over 2 months after I was hurt. But as time has gone by (21 months and counting), I have sort of embraced the trike thing. Realistically assessing my balance, poor reflexes/reaction time, etc has made me realize that riding a 2 wheel bike is just too dangerous for me, at least for now. I'm encouraged by the reports of many of you who have gotten back to it, and, I haven't totally closed the door on it - but for now I'm enjoying the trike, especially since I seem to be getting faster. Had 1 ride of 40 miles recently. The fairly high end Catrike 700 and ICE Vortex have excellent components and allow for maximizing what you can do. I chose the Catrike, but I had a good time with the process of deciding.

I'm still riding the road bike on a trainer and I occasionally ride a tandem with a friend. So - we'll see what happens.

I dig all of your perspectives and respect your accomplishments and value your opinions. I am going to keep riding a 2 wheeler. I feel safe and under control and can ride far enough to get what I want out of it.

I do see all of your points and it is great advice, especially given what all of you have done post injury.

I had one of those moments today I questioned what I was doing. Today we had a solid swell courtesy of Tropical Storm Andrea. It took everything I had to get outside to the waves because of the current. I sat out there trying to pick off a manageable one through the heavier sets. I scratched into one and for a moment at the top of the wave I felt like the old me. Focused and intense. I wasn't thinking about anything but getting down the line. I took off and scratched into a nice barrel and then it closed out and smashed me. I got out of the water exhausted after riding 1/2 a wave and watched my friends tear it up, feeling more disabled than I have in a while. What am I doing? I think it is funny that this subject was on here when I got home.

On another note we were way ahead of the drift. I crutched up the beach a ways and then my friend ran my crutches down the beach in the direction of the drift and placed them about a block and half away. I got out about 20 yards up the beach from them. Pretty good planning. I was too tired to walk to them so I crawled over to them. That must have been interesting to watch.

Steve Garro,
    Great photo, way buffed, way old school.
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010