Thread: What workout did you do today?

Working hands on timed typing tests...getting better Laundry, scrubbed stove top, cleaned a shelf in fridge, walked up and down stairs 4 times today, walking without watching my feet through a few rooms today, cooked, uloaded dishwasher and put away dishes, (mental workout...re did budget)

Doesn't sound like a lot but today was my most active day in months. I plan to challenge myself more when the weather heats up to keep my mind of the burning pain I get in the summer.

@Dan F...THC helps get rid of the spasms for me, but it does increase nerve reaction (ie tingling and burning) I find that ingestion has a slower onset than inhaled and is less likely to cause a nerve pain reaction at least in my case. It also rocks for pain relief!
    CCS/Walker C6...it's a long story

I don't smoke pot for nerve pain, but am a regular user and don't seem to have any problems with nuero-pain for whatever that is worth.

Arndog,

Sorry to hear about the hernia. I hope it heals well.

I've gotten back on the scale....

For the past 3 weeks I've been tracking everything I eat. That has really helped stop the indiscriminate snacking. I look forward to the days when I'm not on the road for work and the weather allows me to ride my bike. Easy to get a thousand calorie burn on my bike while I'm only good for about 30 minutes on an elliptical at my gym or at a hotel.

I remember how the winter weight would just fall away with the onset of bike season. Five hour rides would do wonders for my weight---and my psyche. Remember the days of being pleasantly exhausted?

I've lost about 8 pounds since I've started 3 weeks ago, I'm sure those were the easy pounds. I need to lose at least 15 more. I motivate myself with knowing how much better I will feel and how much gentler my reduced weight will be to the rest of my body. I wouldn't be bothered if it helped my average speed on the bike. I still have a hard time with getting passed since I look normal, thats when I have to remind myself how damn lucky I am to still be riding.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    May I join in the conversation , even if I haven't worked out in 6 weeks waiting for my hernia repair to heal???
    I have 2 more days to go.

Obesity and SCI - that has to be brutal. I can barely drag my sorry buck fifty body around with my wobbly legs. It would be impossible if overweight.

Hope to get the 19 ft Seda Glider in Tahoe Thursday and have something to post about. Been getting lots of work in at SSDI but really ready to reunite with the out of doors.
    sorefm -get on a scale. Weigh yourself. Don't eat until the weight goes down. Don't sabotage yourself. Don't eat after 7:30pm. Eat breakfast 2 tsp of oat bran dry with water and a small banana. Then eat 7 times a day. Count calories and lose 3 lbs per week. We can celebrate when you reach your goal.

I rode a trail loop I ride every year (my 7th year of one-off riding) in 2:45 = best ever was 2:15 so I feel pretty good about that - 1st ride at altitude, around 8500ft.

Riding with my buds today in the sun, distance 24 miles, Elevation about 8460 feet below Steve's.
    So Steve after 7 years of one off riding, and doing arm work for a living as well, not to mention all the rowing, how are your shoulders doing? Osa looks like she is having a blast, I'm sure she ran a lot farther then you rode.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Quote Originally Posted by lavenderthistle View Post
    Working hands on timed typing tests...getting better Laundry, scrubbed stove top, cleaned a shelf in fridge, walked up and down stairs 4 times today, walking without watching my feet through a few rooms today, cooked, uloaded dishwasher and put away dishes, (mental workout...re did budget)

Doesn't sound like a lot but today was my most active day in months. I plan to challenge myself more when the weather heats up to keep my mind of the burning pain I get in the summer.

@Dan F...THC helps get rid of the spasms for me, but it does increase nerve reaction (ie tingling and burning) I find that ingestion has a slower onset than inhaled and is less likely to cause a nerve pain reaction at least in my case. It also rocks for pain relief!
    Quote Originally Posted by MFlounlacker View Post
    I don't smoke pot for nerve pain, but am a regular user and don't seem to have any problems with nuero-pain for whatever that is worth.
    Thanks for the pot input. Haven't tried it yet, at least not in the last 25 years, but I'll keep it as a potential option.

I had some kind of GI virus over the weekend and have felt tight and twitchy this week, but I'm still trying to stay busy. Tuesday had PT for almost 2 hours. Yesterday had a busy day in the office (saw almost 30 patients) and then took a 40 minute crutch walk. Today it's back to PT and then a good trike ride - weather's beautiful.

Arndog - glad your recovery is about over.

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    So Steve after 7 years of one off riding, and doing arm work for a living as well, not to mention all the rowing, how are your shoulders doing? .
    I have to be careful.
    The worst was falling on the ice a few months ago - it hurt real, real bad - had to get a cortisone injection - wow, what a relief!
    But yeah - I have to pace myself and watch it = it's really hard for me.
    Keep your arms close to your core - it's when you are wrenching on shit all cantilevered out from your body that you tweak your shoulders.
    The #1 thing that hurts my wrists, elbows and shoulders by far is..........crutch walking.
    Paddling feels good as it's the opposite of wheel chairing.
    One-off riding is brutal, plain & simple.
    It's hard on your skeleton, esp. if you have a super jacked-up one like I do......

I'm back finally ! Kayaking on Lake Tahoe today after 6 weeks off from inguinal hernia surgery. I am so happy to be back in a sea kayak. Tahoe was pretty calm, went with AB friend who let me set the pace. Gortex mesh held apparently. 3 hour paddle. 10 miles. Good start - Crutch walked too. Woohooo.

Yesterday I was on my way to watch my daughter's college team play in their conference tournament. I was going to be early so I decided to take a crutch hike at Catoctin State Park. Did a two mile trek with some steep inclines. I always love to take the opportunity to hike in the mountains when I get a chance.
    Water temps are holding the line in the mid fifties here. Just a few more degrees and I will be ready to get back in the surf.

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    I have to be careful.
    It's hard on your skeleton, esp. if you have a super jacked-up one like I do......
    What do you mean by jacked up. Did you raise up the chest pad?

Arndog great that your back on the road or lake or crutches. Might not hurt to take it a little slow to start with, after all we all want to read about your adventures for a long time.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old