Thread: What workout did you do today?

Truly - I did that bike experiment 9 years ago and I was temporarily crushed that I couldn't ride a 2 wheeled bike. I am sorry that you are so sad about it.

BUT please go to catlike.com or greenspeed.com (australian trike). These trikes are fantastic and is what you should ride. You will love it. The stability. They are very fast. Do not write off riding. Please get a Cattrike. They fly.

Truly,
    I second arndog's message. I rode a catrike for four months, and it worked well for me. I had the 27 speed version of this: http://www.utahtrikes.com/TRIKE-CTVILLAGERFOLDING.html. It's seat is higher and easier to get in and out. I think that clipless pedals work well for trikes to keep your feet from falling off, and they are not scary to get in when you are seated.

Also, have you given up on tandems. I rode a tandem more than a single pre-SCI. It was great for us. At stops, I would typically put my feet down, and my wife would keep her feet on the pedals and stay seated. Maybe you could rent one again and try that.

Good luck.
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

Quote Originally Posted by truly View Post
    I'm admitting that bike riding won't happen for me...Not riding, though....that's the toughest one yet. Somehow, with that defeat facing me, all the others are lining up behind it like a phalanx of loss...
    Okay, well back at it....looking for the good. If you look for it, you'll find it.
    Just wanted to agree with others, Truly, that you should try a recumbent trike or quad. They're popular with both AB and DB persons on our local bike paths. They may be pricey as compared to an Electra or Towny or "hybrid bike", but worth it if you end up having fun and get good exercise over the coming years. One person I've observed has only a prosthetic leg below his knee, is missing one arm and he is able to ride his trike upwards to 20mph average. He's amazing.

Regardless of what you decide, I know you are a very positive person and you always give it your best no matter what. You will figure out what is best.
    CCS/Walking Quad

I had an excellent Bolder Boulder 10K race this morning. I knocked 3 minutes off my time, and went over that speed bump without stopping.

Awesome job, Katja! You now own those speed bumps and they need never mess with you again.

truly that sucks. I knows what you mean about the "brain paralysis" it is something that I am dealing with the cane. that fear kicks in and then that spasticity kicks right in with it!

latest of PB workout
    http://youtu.be/lYptcvNX9Oc

Quote Originally Posted by truly View Post
    Well, after spending a few more days with one leg on the ground, poised for takeoff....and unable to fly, I'm admitting that bike riding won't happen for me. Paralysis of mind is much stronger than paralysis of body in this case. I can't tell you how sad this makes me. I've lost a lot as a result of my accident but have always found ways to look beyond and focus on the positives. Not riding, though....that's the toughest one yet. Somehow, with that defeat facing me, all the others are lining up behind it like a phalanx of loss.

We'll be dropping the cute little Electra off at the bike shop this afternoon. They've been champs about taking it back, bike rack, too. I'm grateful that I can end that part of the experiment on a good note.

Okay, well back at it....looking for the good. If you look for it, you'll find it.
    I once had some mildly ignorant bike rider tell me "don't listen to what your doctors are saying, don't let them tell you what you can't do" and I just had to shake my head in disbelief. He thought I could just power through my injury and prove the doctors wrong. He seemed to think that regaining full use of my leg was analogous to him dropping 45 lbs and riding double centuries, just a little discipline and motivation ya know...

Well, its not that easy, and these (our) injuries are for real and with everlasting implications. We all have different levels of injuries and recovery. There is little doubt that I would be on an armbike or a trike if that's what it took to get back out riding. In fact, I see quite a few AB people riding trikes these days.

This is hard stuff. I understand and empathize with your frustration.

Truly - So sorry about the setback, and I definitely think that a trike is doable for you but I think that you shouldn't give up on two wheels quite yet.

Just put it out of your mind for a while and master the trike, hell, have fun with it too. But some day I wouldn't be particularly surprised if all of the pedaling practice you get with the trike pays off and you'll find that your mental block is somewhat diminished. I think it's pretty evident that your legs are strong enough and from experience, I can say that my ability to pedal and balance and not fall over on a bike has increased drastically over the past month or so and I don't attribute it to strength. It's all about the practice. You'll get it.
    L2 incomplete with a pretty bad limp since 10/31/2011.

Quote Originally Posted by sorefm View Post
    I once had some mildly ignorant bike rider tell me "don't listen to what your doctors are saying, don't let them tell you what you can't do" and I just had to shake my head in disbelief. He thought I could just power through my injury and prove the doctors wrong. He seemed to think that regaining full use of my leg was analogous to him dropping 45 lbs and riding double centuries, just a little discipline and motivation ya know...
    lol, had this happen Friday.. an old co-worker looked at me funny for still being in a wheelchair. He says "what happens if you try (to stand/walk)?" I just looked at him and said "why didn't I think of that?". I took the time to educate him about spinal cord injuries but I think he thinks I'm faking it. I ever said to him - "did you ever know me to sit still?"

What I hate worse is the media stories about people who will never walk again talking about recovery. The people the stories are about have the opportunity to educate the public utilizing the media yet they just go along with the idea that their spinal cord will magically repair itself if they try hard enough. I just want to thank them, people think I'm lazy because I'm not ambulating at 33 months post.

Just back from 17 days rowing the entire 288mi of the Grand Canyon - I am toasted.
    I rowed TONS with the biggest day of rowing at 8 solid hours into a vicious headwind for 23mi total.
    It was SCARY this trip - low water, every rock in the rio to contend with - 11-12' tall wave trains and big pour overs and whirlpools - one person even hiked out due to plain old terror after seeing their brother take a really crazy ride into a suckerhole behind a house sized rock that I would not wish on anyone - it sucked things off the boat that were cam strapped down and almost taco'ed the raft.

More later, I need hydration and rest.