Thread: What workout did you do today?

25+ miles biking today on the C&O canal towpath (dirt and gravel) in Virginia. Going to try going longer tomorrow but on a paved path. I've slowed it down a little trying to build up to longer distances.

Interesting side note: I used a gift certificate for a massage today immediately following the ride. Usually, after a longish ride, my walking is a little bit "wobbly." After the massage I felt way better than I usually do post ride. Either I was simply having a good day or there really might be some benefit to the massage other than "ooh, that feels good."

2.5 hours oaring my single man pontoon boat out on a local reservoir.
    Most of it into a heavy head wind and a quick forty five minutes back to the dock.

41 miles biking on the W&OD Trail (paved). Stopped in the middle for lunch. This is the longest ride I've done since SCI 26 months ago. I am way slower than I used to be, not helped by doing this on a mountain bike (I need the low gearing). This went way better than I had hoped for.

The real bonus was that my significant other was also my riding partner this day. She is just finishing radiation therapy for breast cancer (chemo already done.) It was a pretty good day for both of us.

I do volunteer work 2 or 3 days a week so got my workout today. I do enjoy time away from home as I live alone. It gives me time to be with people and interact with them. Only sad thing is sometimes my back hurts after getting home. Oh well I am a survivor.

Quote Originally Posted by charmed1199 View Post
    I do volunteer work 2 or 3 days a week so got my workout today. I do enjoy time away from home as I live alone. It gives me time to be with people and interact with them. Only sad thing is sometimes my back hurts after getting home. Oh well I am a survivor.
    Do what you can do with what you have - that's all you can do.
    I hear you about not seeing people, I used to very much be a people person but not so much anymore.
    I do build custom bikes so at least I get a flow of visitors/clients, which is good.
    I wish there was a day in my life when my back did NOT hurt. It hurts right now - along with a bunch of other stuff........

I got out for a few hours of canoeing the other day but am in a work-athalon right now to earn a week of boating on the Mississippi on the WI/MN border.

therapy 3 days a week

Sorefm, You've made great progress, awesome. I'm stuck at 25 miles max, since March, but getting a little faster.

I did have a breakthrough this week though. I walked 7.5 miles with 700 ft elevation gain, 50% longer than previous post SCI best. Hallelujah.
    Last edited by cajun; 06-29-2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: addition
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

Quote Originally Posted by cajun View Post
    Sorefm, You've made great progress, awesome. I'm stuck at 25 miles max, since March, but getting a little faster.

I did have a breakthrough this week though. I walked 7.5 miles with 700 ft elevation gain, 50% longer than previous post SCI best. Hallelujah.
    7.5 miles is fantastic. I've done 3 but I have to admit I wasn't having much fun on mile 3. I also had a stress fracture on my right foot (my "good leg") this past autumn as a result of walking a lot, I was doing at least 2 miles a day on a measured circuit and I guess I was compensating with my right side. The bicycling has been more "normal" than my walking, albeit still slower than pre sci. My plantar flexion problems really hinder me, but I deal with it. Beats sitting on the couch.

I confess that I stopped in the middle of the 41 mile ride for lunch with the SO. I loved doing all the miles though, even with the stop. I harbor the dream of doing a multi-day ride and doing a century ride. I think I'm getting closer to both. If I was made of half the stuff of Arndog and Steve Garro (2 very tough dudes) this would be done already.

Quote Originally Posted by sorefm View Post
    If I was made of half the stuff of Arndog and Steve Garro (2 very tough dudes) this would be done already.
    No way, man - you are killing it! I miss biking, it's been a month for me - too dusty, and that's not being a puss about it - you can't see or breathe on an off road handcycle right now. c'mon rain!
    I saw you ride the C&O - great stuff!

36 miles on the handcycle this morning.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community