Page 494 of 494 FirstFirst ... 394444484485486487488489490491492493494
Results 4,931 to 4,936 of 4936

Thread: What workout did you do today?

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    Colfax Half Marathon (Denver) this morning. Six handcyclists and two pushrim racers. Both of us are older women, which I found sort of interesting. I won, mostly on account of the fact that at 56, I'm 23 years younger than my competitor - I totally want to be her when I grow up!

I did the SLC marathon on 4/16 and there were 15 handcyclists, 2 of us being women. My favorite marathon yet! Will definitely do again next yr if health is good. We had so much fun out there we thought we would try a race in UT or CO in Sept or Oct that would coincide with Aspens turning and Elk rut, but no luck. As usual, hard to find one that accommodates HC. And I was surprised at how many in CO are on trails and not paved roads (at that time of yr).

Are you saying that the other woman racing was 79? Wow!. I'm usually the only woman in my races and definitely the oldest at 58. That's simply amazing....

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelandy View Post
    I did the SLC marathon on 4/16 and there were 15 handcyclists, 2 of us being women. My favorite marathon yet! Will definitely do again next yr if health is good. We had so much fun out there we thought we would try a race in UT or CO in Sept or Oct that would coincide with Aspens turning and Elk rut, but no luck. As usual, hard to find one that accommodates HC. And I was surprised at how many in CO are on trails and not paved roads (at that time of yr).
    That's a constant problem here in CO - finding races on paved surfaces. A lot of the best 10Ks and sprint triathlons here in Boulder go around the reservoir, which is gravel, so they're automatically out.

I haven't done any of them, but the Estes Park marathon looks like a possibility (roads and bike paths), as do the Rocky Mountain Half and the Fort Collins marathon (point to point, downhill all the way - might be fun in a terrifyingly dangerous sort of way). I'll PM you and we can brainstorm this.

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelandy View Post
    Are you saying that the other woman racing was 79? Wow!. I'm usually the only woman in my races and definitely the oldest at 58. That's simply amazing....
    Yes, indeedy. I have raced against her several times - she races in an old racing char that's too big for her, with a fabric strap to keep her feet off the pavement (I'm guessing it was originally a kneeler), wearing gardening gloves (!) and jeans. Her time was 2:24. She's incredible.

A beautiful day for a ride

I had back surgery twelve days ago for "severe lumbar stenosis", aka pinched nerve. The situation was scary because the stenosis was really limiting my walking. It seems that the laminectomy, spinal cord decompression, was a success because the pain of the stenosis is gone. Hopefully, I have dodged the wheelchair one more time. Now, I am working to heal the 5" incision and regain some strength and flexibility. My spastic muscles are very tight in my back now. I got back on my bike six days post-surgery, and I have worked back up to a thirty mile ride so far, today on the path along the Boise river.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

Here's a little video I made from the Rosarito to Ensenada fun ride on May 7, 2016. This is a 50 mile ride with nearly 8,000 particpants of all levels.

Rosarito to Ensenada

Every year People for Bikes does a National bike challengeI do it because it tends to help me ride more. For the most part I am competing against my self but I have to admit that seeing where I stand locally, in my state and nationally with other riders helps motivate. If you keep track of your miles each day you could still manually enter them on Strava.com for the month of May. When June 1st rolls around you would not be able to enter any of your miles for May. The challenge runs May through September so it would still be worth doing even if you do not get to log many miles for may. I am on track to hit 1000 miles for the month of May. I do not plan to keep that up the whole challenge but you never know... I am going to be a little disappointed if I do not get in 1000 next month but I do have other things I have to do aside from cycling so we will see.

I feel like I am in a re-run of summer 2015. Once again, I came off my handcycle at speed two weks ago. Again, I broke my right shoulder blade and a load of ribs (three flail segments and a lot of liquid in my lung). Over the last few days I have mamaged to push myself along a few circuits of the hospital corridors which does not sound like much of a workout but it is a start. I have been told to wait until four week before I put full weight on my shoulder but there is sun outside and I have some catching up to do when they release me.