Thread: What workout did you do today?

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Live2ride, I have a bike in a Cyclops trainer and that works like a charm for me. I started using it right after my PT told me I wasn't ready to ride in the trainer. However, your post reminded me that I haven't been on it in awhile and I'm going to get back to it. I think it'll help. Cajun, love the half clips! Yes, I have a dickins of a time keeping my feet on the pedals but didn't dare a strap or clip. These look great.

For anyone wondering about the Electra, the problems I'm having are no fault of the bike's. I still think the design is awesome and is probably my best best for getting on a bike again. I have some work to do to get it fitted properly but to do that I need to actually ride it. Hmmm....

Tooley – I have an older Cateye Strata bike computer on my Handcycle. It has the cadence sensor option.

Its features are:
    • Cadence
    • Current speed
    • Maximum speed
    • Average speed
    • Odometer
    • Trip distance
    • Trip distance 2
    • Elapsed time
    • Clock
    I had to build a custom spacer to get the speed sensor in position but, has worked well since.

Jett Your cadence computer sounds like the thing to have.
    Funny story, the weekend that I tore my shoulder muscle, i was out ridding. After about 10 miles, I stared to ride on a road that was new to me. Of course I've driven on it a million times, but that does not tell you much about the small hills. Well riding along on a flat section, I thought I was just getting old, because no matter how hard I tried, just could not get over about 9 MPH. Usually go about 12 on flat ground, well this went on for about 1.5 miles. Well it was getting late, so I turned around, and low and behold, was ridding along at 18 miles and hour for about a mile and a half. So you can see that computer of yours might have helped. Or maybe just a better brain.
    Getting better. Arm crutched 200 feet*3 and 300 feet*1 sure feels good, riding is going to take a little longer.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    Well riding along on a flat section, I thought I was just getting old, because no matter how hard I tried, just could not get over about 9 MPH. Usually go about 12 on flat ground, well this went on for about 1.5 miles. Well it was getting late, so I turned around, and low and behold, was ridding along at 18 miles and hour for about a mile and a half.
    When I first started handcycling, I was constantly bedeviled by false flats and false downhills. I even called my husband to pick me up once because I was convinced there was either something wrong with me or the handcycle.

Now I use two tests:

1. What direction am I going? I live on the Front Range in Colorado, so if I'm facing west, I'm almost certainly going uphill, no matter what it may seem like.

2. If I stop cranking, which way will the bike roll? If backwards, I'm going uphill.

Obviously these two tests are right up there in sophistication with the way I figure out which is right and which is left (my wedding ring is on my left hand), but sadly, I have to apply them frequently.

I use a garmin 500 on my bike. Love it, particularly having gradient so I don't feel so bad if I'm struggling along then look down and see that's it 2 or 3% false flat.

Quote Originally Posted by live2ride View Post
    I use a garmin 500 on my bike. Love it, particularly having gradient so I don't feel so bad if I'm struggling along then look down and see that's it 2 or 3% false flat.
    That's cool.

I asked for a Garmin last Christmas, but did anybody pay attention to me? Nooooooo....

I may have to treat myself.

Today

30 minutes on saratoga, band work, transferred into chair myself for the first time in years. manual chair here I come!!!!

Everson - good job on the saratoga. That is all you need to get pumped. I have a friend who has one of those for, oh, 30 years and uses it still to get the heart rate up.

Today, crutched walk with Jasper one hour, the English Pointer to the local latte cafe. Very urbane thing to do in a cow town like Reno.

today

Thanks Arndog, I want to keep going as long as I can

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    When I first started handcycling, I was constantly bedeviled by false flats and false downhills. I even called my husband to pick me up once because I was convinced there was either something wrong with me or the handcycle.

Now I use two tests:

1. What direction am I going? I live on the Front Range in Colorado, so if I'm facing west, I'm almost certainly going uphill, no matter what it may seem like.

2. If I stop cranking, which way will the bike roll? If backwards, I'm going uphill.

Obviously these two tests are right up there in sophistication with the way I figure out which is right and which is left (my wedding ring is on my left hand), but sadly, I have to apply them frequently.
    Katja your a very funny gal. Thanks for the imput.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old