Thread: What workout did you do today?

  1. #2201
    Met Chris Waddell and watched his documentary tonight. The movie was about his ascent on Mount Kilimanjaro with a modified One-Off handcycle....That would be quite a challenge! Granny gear on a standard One-Off is slow going, Can’t imagine how slow one would be when you hook the chain up to a small wench.
    Not sure I have that kind of mental toughness!
    http://www.one-revolution.org/

  2. #2202
    Senior Member Revis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Coeur D Alene, ID
    Posts
    288
    Completed a 5 day business trip. First time navigating the airport since my injury: parking, check-in, security line (used wheel chair assistance going, but not returning), flying, retrieving luggage, renting car and doing it all over again upon return. Survived it all, not to mention driving in a dicey snow storm from Twin Falls, ID to Jackpot, NV last Saturday.

    Walked/slow jogged this afternoon: 1.1 mile jogging and .65 walking (jog, then walk, then jog, etc.) for a total of 1.75 mile. It's been almost a week since getting out for a walk.

    Snowing tonight. More snow on Friday. Biking is done. Walking may soon be over, too.
    Last edited by Revis; 11-17-2011 at 01:55 AM.
    CCS/Walking Quad

  3. #2203
    Loving the pup photo's. My boy is 12 months old now and just put him into kennels for the first time while I head over to New Zealand for some racing. Only a quick trip so good chance to see how he copes.

    And I have made unbelievable progress walking with my new AFO - "Intrepid Dynamic Exoskeletal Orthosis". Ditched the walking stick and slowly starting to normalise my gait pattern. Still have the same weaknesses, just easier to control with this AFO and gives me a lot more confidence. I really did think nothing would make any difference and although we went through a few different AFO's (from blue-rocker to a double helix to a solid AFO with ankle joints to this one) it really has made a massive difference. I'm doing 2 retraining sessions a week and working hard at it but it is paying off.

  4. #2204
    Senior Member Cjt8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nor Cal Foot Hills
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by live2ride View Post
    Loving the pup photo's. My boy is 12 months old now and just put him into kennels for the first time while I head over to New Zealand for some racing. Only a quick trip so good chance to see how he copes.

    And I have made unbelievable progress walking with my new AFO - "Intrepid Dynamic Exoskeletal Orthosis". Ditched the walking stick and slowly starting to normalise my gait pattern. Still have the same weaknesses, just easier to control with this AFO and gives me a lot more confidence. I really did think nothing would make any difference and although we went through a few different AFO's (from blue-rocker to a double helix to a solid AFO with ankle joints to this one) it really has made a massive difference. I'm doing 2 retraining sessions a week and working hard at it but it is paying off.
    That AFO sounds great. It helps overcome some of the weakness and gets the momentum going in the gait? Sometimes on the treadmill or the first coupple steps of a good day, I feel like I could run right down the road if my dam right foot would just push off the toes and swing on thru with my leg. But no way, the harder I try to get the gait thing right the slower it goes. Seems like other muscles that do work make up for what does not and the end result is, I look like someone who had way too much to drink. I would love to see a video of gait without and with if possible.
    Keep after it.
    CJ

  5. #2205
    Quote Originally Posted by Revis View Post
    Completed a 5 day business trip. First time navigating the airport since my injury: parking, check-in, security line (used wheel chair assistance going, but not returning), flying, retrieving luggage, renting car and doing it all over again upon return. Survived it all, not to mention driving in a dicey snow storm from Twin Falls, ID to Jackpot, NV last Saturday.

    Walked/slow jogged this afternoon: 1.1 mile jogging and .65 walking (jog, then walk, then jog, etc.) for a total of 1.75 mile. It's been almost a week since getting out for a walk.

    Snowing tonight. More snow on Friday. Biking is done. Walking may soon be over, too.
    Congratulations on the successful trip!

    We're having an unseasonably warm day, and I'm stuck at work. Tomorrow it's supposed to switch to cold and snow. Not sure what I'm going to do for exercise.

    Quote Originally Posted by live2ride View Post
    Loving the pup photo's. My boy is 12 months old now and just put him into kennels for the first time while I head over to New Zealand for some racing. Only a quick trip so good chance to see how he copes.
    New Zealand! So jealous! Good luck!

  6. #2206
    Quote Originally Posted by Cjt8 View Post
    Sometimes on the treadmill or the first coupple steps of a good day, I feel like I could run right down the road if my dam right foot would just push off the toes and swing on thru with my leg. But no way, the harder I try to get the gait thing right the slower it goes. CJ
    Just want to throw out an idea that might sound crazy. Before my accident, I had purchased a pair of Sketchers Shapeups, the walking shoes with the rounded bottoms. Well earlier this summer, I decided to try them again even though just looking at them made me nervous. I put them on and took a tour around the house and haven't gone back to regular shoes since. They are so comfortable and the rocker bottom helps me to take a more normal step and roll right through it. I also feel my balance is better because they seem to encourage more foot sensation. Since then, I've found that Sketchers make these shoes in a plethora of styles, not just trainer styles. I have some slip-ons for work and a pair of Mary Janes, too. Without this type of shoe bottom, I tend to walk like a duck. I can get my heel on the ground but the rest of my foot follows with a big slap. Just something to think about.....

    ....and they make lots of men's styles. My husband loves them and he's not SCI at all.

  7. #2207
    I finally got back on the one-off for two hours of singletrack after a month off of it due to my rib issues. I got an MRI - boy, am I one F'ed up dude......

  8. #2208
    Senior Member Revis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Coeur D Alene, ID
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    I finally got back on the one-off for two hours of singletrack after a month off of it due to my rib issues. I got an MRI - boy, am I one F'ed up dude......
    Glad you're back out there on the singletracks, Steve. What did the MRI show? Care to tell us?

    We have snow and ice covered streets now, so no biking. May try to get out on snow shoes later today.
    CCS/Walking Quad

  9. #2209
    Quote Originally Posted by Revis View Post
    Glad you're back out there on the singletracks, Steve. What did the MRI show? Care to tell us?

    .
    Stable fusion, crushed anterior T11 w/bone fragments floating nearby + some arthritis above fusion, bone fragment (HO) over left pelvis, broken right rib, cracked left, one left rib described as "mush"
    I told you my back hurt!

  10. #2210
    Senior Member flying's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southern Oregon coast
    Posts
    1,409
    Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Stable fusion, crushed anterior T11 w/bone fragments floating nearby + some arthritis above fusion, bone fragment (HO) over left pelvis, broken right rib, cracked left, one left rib described as "mush"
    I told you my back hurt!
    Shit that sounds painful. Rode my hand cycle very hard yesterday. Today went over to the ocean. What a beautiful day. Theres a great road along the bluff overlooking the ocean, the sky was blue, no wind, just perfect. Road along with a friend He was on my old mountain bike. You just don't get many days like this by the ocean in late November.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Similar Threads

  1. Call In Day Today Here Is How Please Call
    By bostondad in forum Care
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-16-2008, 01:21 AM
  2. i spoke to my doc today about sf-1019
    By spinky88 in forum Pain
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-11-2008, 08:34 PM
  3. I posted this on my blog today
    By JenJen in forum Life
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-15-2007, 04:15 PM
  4. CLONING --Cover from USA Today
    By cheesecake in forum Health & Science News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-17-2003, 11:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •