Thread: What workout did you do today?

L2R - I have used 2 pairs in the 8 years since SCI. Now that I am snowshoeing, I am using the first sports crutch system called SideStix. These are the ones to get. Check out SideStix.com and you can learn about them. They are made in Canada near Vancouver. They have an elastomer shock in a splined housing and interchangeable
    'feet' including baskets for walking on beaches, rocks, snow. The foot rotates freely and rocks to prevent shearing of the rubber, very cool.. In summary they have opened up worlds for me. If you look at that picture you can see where the shock absorber housing is just under the grip.
    The other legit crutch that is indestructible is Fetterman crutches. You can check out theirs on their website.
    Here is a comparison of the 2 with the SideStix on the left.

Crutch Hike with Jasper the English pointer - 2 hours along the Little Truckee River. Purple Meadow Penstemon flowers in background.

The mule ears were in bloom too. Really nice flat trail , 'user (gimp) friendly'. Have a great 4th of July and be safe.

Yesterday went handcycling with 2 friends. One had the new Force R and it is a rocket ship. I can't keep up as I am sitting upright and the aerodynamic difference is too great. I looked in my bike mirror to see him and he was so low that I just saw a flag pole coming. Arrgghh, I don't want to get one right now but they are amazing. Anybody else riding with the new force R?

I ran my FIRST ever 3k yesterday morning right before the parade!!! used a manual sports chair!!

Quote Originally Posted by bailey5774 View Post
    I ran my FIRST ever 3k yesterday morning right before the parade!!! used a manual sports chair!!
    Congratulations! I bet you're feeling on top of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    Congratulations! I bet you're feeling on top of the world!
    Oh yes even though I came in dead last LOL. Had a wonderful time despite the hot sun.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey5774 View Post
    Oh yes even though I came in dead last LOL. Had a wonderful time despite the hot sun.
    Here's how I look at it when I'm racing - if there isn't another 50 year old woman with MS doing the race in a wheelchair, then I came in first in my class, not last :-).

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    The mule ears were in bloom too. Really nice flat trail , 'user (gimp) friendly'. Have a great 4th of July and be safe.

Yesterday went handcycling with 2 friends. One had the new Force R and it is a rocket ship. I can't keep up as I am sitting upright and the aerodynamic difference is too great. I looked in my bike mirror to see him and he was so low that I just saw a flag pole coming. Arrgghh, I don't want to get one right now but they are amazing. Anybody else riding with the new force R?
    What is a reasonable average speed on a (road) handcycle?

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    Here's how I look at it when I'm racing - if there isn't another 50 year old woman with MS doing the race in a wheelchair, then I came in first in my class, not last :-).
    Good way of looking at it!

Quote Originally Posted by boscodcosta View Post
    Make sure that you're ready to make permanent changes and that you do so for the right reasons.It requires focus and a lifelong commitment.
    I am trying to figure out what changes I need to make. I am doing it to stay healthy and because it's fun. Not doing it because I HAVE to win.....I know that won't happen anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by sorefm View Post
    What is a reasonable average speed on a (road) handcycle?
    Check out the results from the recent paracycling world cup to get an idea of the range of speeds the elites get up to. (H4 is kneelers, H3 and H2 para's and H1 quads I think). http://www.uci.ch/templates/UCI/UCI5...U4ODc&LangId=1

To give you an idea of the spread from my own experience (talking single bike time trials but you get the drift) an elite female on a flat course may average over 45 km/hr in a 20km race down to maybe a 30km/hr target for a newer/older/more social rider at club level. I might average close to 40 in a time trial race, but out for a two hour training ride on my own its more like 25-30 (depending on terrain).