Thread: transferring from portable commode/shower chair

transferring from portable commode/shower chair

Any tips for caregiver for transferrring in and out of protable shower/commode chair? Son C5/C6 20 yrs old 6'2" not able to help much at this point in time. Thanks..............

It is a nightmare, I know, and I am only a T-4 para. The best thing I ever did was get a shower/commode wheelchair. (also requires a roll-in shower, but once I got the shower and shower chair I was able to eventually do things on my own again.....) Transferring while wet/naked is scary business and sometimes results in a fall. Being a quad you really need 1 really strong person to help, or 2 people. I reccommend using a sliding board with a towel draped over it, to protect skin, and aid in sliding. It is also much harder to get off of these things when wet. If there is any way to get a shower chair or convert to a roll in shower, do yourselves a favor and do it. Also helps for washing your bottom/preventing UTI's.....

Good Luck, Rudy

What Kind of shower chair? Roll in shower? Tub? Shower stall? What type of transfer is done to the wheelchair? Can you use a mechanical lift?

(KLD)

ND:

My husband is a C3-C4 quad. He is 6’1” and weighs 200 lbs. I get him undressed in his regular wheelchair. I roll his shower chair into the bedroom and place it along side his regular wheelchair. I then transfer him from his regular wheelchair to his shower chair using our overhead ceiling lift. Once he is transferred, I roll him into the shower. We have a shower sling that is made of a mesh material. I leave that behind his back during the shower. After the shower is done, I roll him back into the bedroom and transfer him into bed using the lift. You could probably do the same type of thing with a Hoyer type lift except it gets rather crowded in the room with a wheelchair, showerchair and a lift all working in close proximity.

we currently do transfers with a sliding board..and have just purchased a rolling shower/commode chair from Nuprodx 6000tx. we do have a hoyer lift but really prefer not go there if not absolutely necessary. we have a bathtub set up here in CA and a roll in shower at home.

Spent 3 yrs bathing my son in bed because there just was no $$ for a shower/commode chair...he is 230#, me 120...OT and PT suggested a showerchair that reclined because he has hardly any balance and I was so afraid of his soapy body falling forward and me losing him to the floor...even belting him in I was scared...We found one here on carecure....thanks princessturk!
    We had a not very good 6 weeks of rehab and the ot at the hospital was one of those traveling ones and knew absolutely NOTHING as far as doing anything to help us...he experienced AD during his first shower and that scared the ot so bad he said no more showers....for his bp program they taught me to put a friggin plastic bed pan under him...raise the bed to put him in a halfway sitting position...oh, forgot...the nurse would insert a supository first... and wait...and wait...and wait....and the nurse we would never see again...wtf...of course the bedpan did a number on his skin and I blew and told them it was obvious they didn't know ANYTHING and for our remaining time I would manage his bp...I did have a friend who walked me through it over the phone and so far we have been ok....grrrrrr...I'm sorry this is so long winded but back to the question...
    New Demention does your son have good balance? I would use the hoyer...I'm confused tho, do you not shower him as he sits in the showerchair? I do have another question but will post later about getting into the showerchair...I am having a difficult time...

My son does have good balance and we have done the bed bath and showers occasionally in a patio chair (which actually worked great) except you needed two people for the transfer in and out until we purchased the current chair. Madmaddmother I wil send you a private message too as my sons injury was the result of a DUI also...............
    Peace be with you

balance is something we're working on...looking forward to getting to know you! Have a blessed Christmas! judy