Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mysterious Spasms

Mysterious Spasms

Trying to do a little self-diagnosis before trying to schedule what will probably be a handful of dr.s appointments around my work schedule.

Here's the skinny...for the past 2 days I've been having crazy stomach spasms that move into my legs and actually tense up my quad hands (if you're a quad you know the feeling). I can trigger them with certain twisting movements. It's definitely making my car transfers sketchy as hell...when I lift, my body could jerk anywhere so I'm being really cautious trying to let 'em shake out before hopping over. When I went to bed last night after getting undressed checked skin...nothing there, but when i layed flat on my back I got the straight shootout leg spasms and actually saw and felt my abs for the first time in going on 6 years. Today I'm cathing alot and the spasms are making it to where the second I get the urge I have to jet to the bathroom...but my urine is nice and clear and odorfree. Saw my Uro in August and kidneys were great so I don't think kidney stones is the answer. I do my bp every other night and its always good thanks to a high fiber diet, so no real concern there either.

Gallstones maybe?? I can't feel so I'm not experiencing typical symptoms, just wild spasms. I read some threads and am wondering from SCI Nurse or Wise what symptoms of gall problems might a c6 complete experience?? I can manage but these spasms are making me crazy...at what point should I seek help? I just hesitate because 90% of the time I see a dr., I'm doing the problem solving, and I really don't want to take wasteful time off of work.

Any thoughts, concerns, similar issues...please chime in I figure this is the best starting point.
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies...

bump to top for SCI nurse please...

Not sure if this is helpful info for you, but I have been dealing with constant AD... and spasms was part of that... I had CT's, Ultrasounds, Gallbladder tests, nuclear med tests... they thought maybe my gallbladder, as you are thinking.. but it was my body not adjusting to the temperature.
    I'm still struggling at night, but my days are much, much better.

See if your legs feel cold (or hot) to the touch... I actually have a heater in my office and bedroom and it's cranked up high....
    Actually it was indirectly related to hormones that I was taking to avoid the hot flashes that were causing my AD headache thing.. omg.. it's like a continuous circle.. constantly trying to keep everything in check.
    I stopped the hormones and ended up being TOO cold. Fortunately I don't get the symptom of the headache with the AD (that's about enough to give up), instead I get the ridiculous spasms.. or extreme nausea and vomitting...

OK... I know this sounds crazy, but it's true. My doc says my body reacts violently to stimuli...

take care and I hope you will find the cause and be able to fix it

thinking of you
    bbs

Landon,
    Usually with gallstones you have pain, vomitting after eating but here is more information:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/archive...p/t-66907.html

Your description of increased spasms and urinary urgency suggests to me a UTI should be ruled out.

AAD

You're incomplete, right? Rule out the uti and then go see your physiatrist. I had a lot of that stuff as my abs slowly returned about 7 to 10 years post. If you get the nose to knees spaze while sitting when you reach for something driving may need adjusting. But yea, I'd look at some more PT, Dude.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

They could be your spasms are just getting worse. That happened to me at about a year and I had to get a pump at a year and a half. I still have some stomach and leg spasms , it does not happen when I'm in my chair but almost always when I lay down. But they don't get in the way of my daily living anymore so I don't mind them
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Thanks for the replies...everything seems to have toned down to my normal spasticity level today . Last night my stomach seriously felt like I had a tight abdominal binder on...but it stretched out when I hopped into bed. Maybe I was being paranoid....all I know is I'm a busy quad that doesn't really get sick so I try to avoid unnecessary dr appts at all costs.

Sue, as far as my injury...I'm a c6 complete motor...would be cool if I was getting some trunk back but no signs. Thats crazy you got function back that long after your injury! I haven't gained anything that I didn't have on Day 1 in the hospital 6 yrs ago, I just perfected it to live independently again.

Rybread, I've never taken any spasm meds other than bladder pills. I usually like my spasms and find them useful....just not at those extremes.
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies...

Rybred what kind of pump are you referring to? just wondering.. the spasms I get are ridiculous and interfere greatly.

Thanks !

bbs

Lan, if you do a lot of twisting to transfer you very well may be regaining obliques. Doing all you do to be independent can be considered long term, intense PT. And that has been known to bring on recovery. I sat up using my stomach muscles only at 9 years post. I was in PT that entire time. I was a C5/7 ASIA B sensation only when admitted to the ICU and had no change other than biofeedback to deal with leg pain showed miniscule muscle contaction in one quad as I left rehab about 5 months post. Both quads still rank 5s now. Stupid thing is I still can't transfer totally alone--long waisted and still missing part of a tricep and back muscles on one side. Oh, most of my recovery started after I ramped off baclofen. The new muscles strengthened while on 4-AP. For bad spazes I use small dose valium.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

landon-during the days the spasms were bad did you stop taking any medication? your description sounds just like what i was experiencing-i am c-7. i just had a colostomy nov 3 but before that i was taking 30 immodium a day-on the weekends if i didnt have plans i wouldnt take any immodium and by sunday i was all over the place. my stomach spasmed so badly twice getting in the shower that it threw me backwards-plus my toe was in the little grill of my footplate so that didnt help either cuz im sure it hurt. but doing any transfers i would go crazy. i think not taking the immodium maybe caused my body to want to go and when bending over to transfer and putting pressure on everything caused me to spasm like that. since my colostomy and no more immodium i havent spazzed like that. i know i have gone all over the place on things that caused mine but its just process of elimination. hope this gives you a few ideas if it starts up again-glad to hear you are back to, "normal". Amie