Thread: we can travel into the future i think.

we can travel into the future i think.

time is relative and slows down as gravity increases. what if we fly to jupiter and wear special suits that allow us to sustain 6-9g's for a set period of time [some physicist due the math], maintain oorbit to establish 6-9 g's,then return to earth years into the future.
    well..............................
    Han: "We are all ready to win, just as we are born knowing only life. It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for"

The effects of gravitational time dilation are very small, so parking next to Jupiter wouldn't get you very far into the future at all.

Time dilation as a result of acceleration, on the other hand, has a huge effect. Get inside a spaceship, travel at 1g acceleration for a while, then turn around and come back. You'll have traveled years/centuries/eons into the future.

Check out Joe Haldeman's fantastic book The Forever War for a great story involving time dilation.

We already travel into the future......at a rate of 1 second per second!

You'd be dead prior to landing on Jupiter due to its pull. I don't think such suits exist to prevent that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    The effects of gravitational time dilation are very small, so parking next to Jupiter wouldn't get you very far into the future at all.

Time dilation as a result of acceleration, on the other hand, has a huge effect. Get inside a spaceship, travel at 1g acceleration for a while, then turn around and come back. You'll have traveled years/centuries/eons into the future.

Check out Joe Haldeman's fantastic book The Forever War for a great story involving time dilation.

i love this stuff.

orbiting jupiter not landing. we cannot get to a black hole. a super giant black hole is ideal as you can near pierce the event horizon eh. watched it on the history channel due to large distance of eh to the singulariity

know what makes a star super nova? iron.
    Han: "We are all ready to win, just as we are born knowing only life. It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for"

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    That book is absolutely fantastic. 100% recommended. I need to re-read that gem.

Star Trek did buy going around the sun at top warp speed and returning to earth to save the whales. That was to go back in time on the right side of the sun. To get into the future they went on the left side.
    oh well

Would rather go back in time and not get on that motorcycle!

Quote Originally Posted by jhope View Post
    orbiting jupiter not landing. we cannot get to a black hole. a super giant black hole is ideal as you can near pierce the event horizon eh. watched it on the history channel due to large distance of eh to the singulariity
    Now a black hole, yeah that would do it. Of course you'd need a ship capable of relativistic speed just to get near one, and back again, so that alone would get you some way into the future.

Frederik Pohl wrote about about this in the Gateway series, another great sci-fi read.

Mimi: Back in time is a real tough one, we're hoping to go forward far enough to get the cure right away!

cvelusc: I hear there trying to make it into a movie. Here's hoping it doesn't suck.