Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pain Scales

Pain Scales

Is it just me or does anyone else hate pain scales. The same old thing.. "Now tell me on a scale of 1-10 what is your pain level right now." First of all the question is completely subjective. What my five is too me would probably be different than Dr. Young's perception of a five. Most people who are in a lot of pain will say 10/10 which on the comparison pain scale is impossible. My question would be then how did you get out of bed, take a shower, get dressed, and drive yourself over here? I would prefer a more objective pain scale like what are you able to do today that you couldn't do seven days ago? More positive and more objective functionally. And then, you give them a high pain level score and they look at you like you're nuts. The doctors don't even say hi anymore, how are you rating your pain? Is it just me or are others annoyed?
    Brian

"God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, The courage to change the things we can, And the wisdom to know the difference."

Serenity Prayer

Your number determines the drug and the dose. It's a poor way for measuring pain unless the doc puts the number together with your pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Most are in too much of a hurry and just write down the #.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore View Post
    Your number determines the drug and the dose. It's a poor way for measuring pain unless the doc puts the number together with your pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Most are in too much of a hurry and just write down the #.
    True, but if I were a drug seeker all I would have to do is say I'm in a 8-9/10 type pain and there you go, I get morphine. There has to be more of an objective scale like measuring BP, taking pulses, range of motion tests, functional tests like light lifting, bending/stooping, getting into different postures, strength tests, palpation tests. Something objective that a MA can do before the doctors come in to see you. Since these are objective tests a MA would be qualified to do them w/training. This way we could see from appointment to appointment how their function is doing. Positive if doing better from last appt and not so positive if worse from last appt. Something alittle more objective would be better in my opinion.
    Last edited by bdvaneven; 12-09-2008 at 10:45 AM.
    Brian

"God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, The courage to change the things we can, And the wisdom to know the difference."

Serenity Prayer

Yes, it's totally subjective but how else will they see how we feel at the time. I always give a 7 or 8 and they sure don't offer me pain meds.
    Dave
    C5/C6 complete
    http://www.davegrotzinger.com
    http://www.daves-webdesign.com

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me guaranteed..." - Eddie Vedder

When I say 10 ....means 12-13 for me.Some days are worst ...some better.
    Fight the pain mentally guys and never give up.Meditation helps me a lot.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Quote Originally Posted by dgrotz View Post
    Yes, it's totally subjective but how else will they see how we feel at the time. I always give a 7 or 8 and they sure don't offer me pain meds.
    Well Dave,

They should be offering you pain medications if you are in 7-8 pain levels. In the comparison pain score which most doctors use an eight is comparable to throat cancer. A ten means you're passing out due to pain and someone would have to call 911-and you would most likely be hospitized. I can't image why they aren't giving you pain medication unless they feel you have abuse narcotic medication which I'm sure is not the case.
    Brian

Serenity Prayer

Quote Originally Posted by bdvaneven View Post
    Well Dave,

They should be offering you pain medications if you are in 7-8 pain levels. In the comparison pain score which most doctors use an eight is comparable to throat cancer. A ten means you're passing out due to pain and someone would have to call 911-and you would most likely be hospitized. I can't image why they aren't giving you pain medication unless they feel you have abuse narcotic medication which I'm sure is not the case.
    My last time in the Hospital in Chicago 3 years ago I told them that i feel like 10 on the pain scale ....damn they gave me a narcotic IV ...I passed out and I woke up having oxygen tubs in my nose.Agrrrr....was scary .Thanks God that the nurse I saw when I woke up was a beautiful women [hot and sexy]...so I did my best not to use abusive language.lol.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Quote Originally Posted by adi chicago View Post
    My last time in the Hospital in Chicago 3 years ago I told them that i feel like 10 on the pain scale ....damn they gave me a narcotic IV ...I passed out and I woke up having oxygen tubs in my nose.Agrrrr....was scary .Thanks God that the nurse I saw when I woke up was a beautiful women [hot and sexy]...so I did my best not to use abusive language.lol.
    It sucks to be in that much pain. In January 2008, I found myself w/uncontrolable pain that they could not manage w/narcotics or medications. I ended up in the ER twice before they admitted me into the hospital and put me on a morphine iv. I ended up with an internal Baclofen/morphine pump. When I went in for my pump adjustments, the doctors could see me walking and did not believe me when I told them I was in seven out of ten pain. It took months but they finally got the pump medication right and I'm not at about 3-4/10 daily. Doesn't it suck being in pain? And, thank God for sexy nurses. Usually they're fat and ugly!
    Brian

Serenity Prayer

Quote Originally Posted by bdvaneven View Post
    Well Dave,

Next time I see my SCI Dr. I'm going to straight out ask for oxycontin, I can't take this anymore! I have asked about pain meds in the past and he said they don't prescribed narcotics, come on! I have a syrinx which is causing chronic neck and shoulder pains, severe chronic abnominal pains, and headaches not to mention the neuro pains, I am on baclofen, lyrica, and topomax.

adi- the scale goes to 10
    Dave
    C5/C6 complete
    http://www.davegrotzinger.com
    http://www.daves-webdesign.com

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me guaranteed..." - Eddie Vedder

Quote Originally Posted by dgrotz View Post
    Next time I see my SCI Dr. I'm going to straight out ask for oxycontin, I can't take this anymore! I have asked about pain meds in the past and he said they don't prescribed narcotics, come on! I have a syrinx which is causing chronic neck and shoulder pains, severe chronic abnominal pains, and headaches not to mention the neuro pains, I am on baclofen, lyrica, and topomax.

adi- the scale goes to 10
    Demand the oxycontin and don't leave until they give it to you. They're physicians. Their job description is to help you manage your pain so you can live somewhat of a life. I would demand the medication and I wouldn't leave until they give it to you. If that doesn't work ask to talk to the board of directors or the physician's supervisor. If all else fails, go get another doctor. Any doctor even family doctors prescribe pain medications. That's bull shit!! You are on a lot of neuropathic medication that doesn't seem to be working, why not try narcotics? I would also request a copy of your medical records. Maybe there is some soap notes from a doctor stating why he won't give you narcotics? You never know whats in those records. Do it for your reputation and so you can receive appropriate future care.
    Last edited by bdvaneven; 12-09-2008 at 02:44 PM.
    Brian

Serenity Prayer