Thread: New Life for Quadriplegic Experimental Treatment Allows Her to Move Again

New Life for Quadriplegic Experimental Treatment Allows Her to Move Again

Only 12 electrode implants placed inside each arm, so if she needs to remove them I guess it will be easy for doctors to do. Those in the legs will be a problem to take them out because will be a lot more electrode inplants, right?

Life for Quadriplegic
    Experimental Treatment Allows Her to Move Again
    Posted By By Cathy Dobson
    Posted 1 day ago

By CATHY DOBSON

The Observer

A small twitch of her neck, a quiet bleep from a control box on her lap, and Annette Coker can make her hands move with astonishing precision.

Her movement is a medical marvel considering a car crash in 2002 left her a quadriplegic.

“I couldn’t move anything from my shoulders down after the accident,” she explains. “I’d completely lost my independence. I couldn’t scratch my nose. I couldn’t wipe my own tears.

“It was tough.”

But experimental surgery has given the former Sarnia woman mobility in her arms and hands.

Coker, 49, is only the second person in the world to have 12 electrode implants placed inside each arm and a stimulator buried in each side of her chest.

The surgery was challenging and recovery was long, but Coker said she was excited to be chosen for it.

“I used to be athletic and loved the outdoors. I trained service dogs for the physically impaired before the accident. When I couldn’t do any of that anymore, I was determined to find technology somewhere to help.”

It turned out help wasn’t very far away.

On the internet, Coker discovered that researchers were working on a device at the Functional Electrical Stimulation Centre in Ohio just hours away from where she lives in Toledo.

more...

http://theobserver.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1334498
    Last edited by manouli; 12-08-2008 at 10:05 PM.

Technology will get us there alot faster then stem cell crap.
    oh well

I'd love sensory function to be a part of "there" and I doubt technology can deliver that within the next, say, at least, two decades.
    Stem cell "crap" on the other hand can, most likely, help the body to do what it normally does best: recover.