Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stuffed cabbage

stuffed cabbage

stuffed cabbage.....yummy ....romanian recipe ....we eat them with polenta and sour cream .is one of the most popular food here during the holidays.

Pork Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe

Print Options

Ingredients

• 2 lbs sauerkraut
    • 1 large head green cabbage
    • 2 tbsp olive oil
    • 1 cup finely chopped onions
    • 1/4 tsp of finely chopped garlic
    • 1 lb ground lean pork
    • 1/4 cup rice, cooked in boiling salted water (yielding 3/4 cup cooked)
    • 2 lightly beaten eggs
    • 2 tbsp sweet Hungarian paprika
    • 1/8 tsp marjoram
    • 1 tsp salt
    • freshly ground pepper
    • 1 cup water mixed with 1 cup tomato puree
    • 1 cup sour cream

Method

1 Rinse the sauerkraut in cold water. If needed, soak in cold water 10-20 minutes to reduce sourness. Squeeze dry and set aside. In a large saucepan, bring to a boil enough salted water to cover the cabbage. Add the cabbage, turn the heat to low and simmer 8 minutes. Remove the cabbage and let it drain while it cools enough to handle. Pull off 16 large unbroken leaves and lay them on paper towels to drain and cool further.
    2 In a 10-inch skillet, saute the onions and garlic in olive oil, until the onions are lightly colored. In a large mixing bowl, combine the pork, rice, eggs, paprika, marjoram, the onion-garlic mixture, salt and a few grindings of black pepper. Mix well with a fork or wooden spoon.
    3 Place 2 tablespoons of the stuffing in the center of one of the wilted cabbage leaves and, beginning with the thick end of the leaf, fold over the sides, then roll the whole leaf tightly, as you would a small bundle. Repeat with more leaves until all the stuffing has been used.
    4 Spread the sauerkraut on the bottom of a 5-quart casserole and arrange the cabbage rolls on top of it. Add the water mixed with the tomato puree. Bring the liquid to a boil, then cover the pan tightly and cook the stuffed cabbage over low heat for 1 hour. Transfer the rolls from the casserole to a warm plate. Stir in the sour cream to the sauerkraut. Simmer another 5 minutes. Lift the sauerkraut onto a serving platter with a slotted spoon. Arrange the cabbage rolls on the sauerkraut and pour some of the sauce over them. Serve the rest of the sauce in a sauceboat.
    Serves 4-6.
    Last edited by adi chicago; 12-08-2008 at 04:51 PM.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

It looks yummy Adi. I love cabbage, and the Irish usually boil it with potato, carrots, turnips, and corned beef. Delicious.

That looks absolutely delicious!! I wish I had the motivation to cook like that.

Looks like good stuff! I might give it a try.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

It looks very good but on Christmas I have to eat the sauerkraut the way it is together with the pork ribs, sausage and meatballs.

TH 12, 43 years post

I love stuffed cabbage, the first time I tasted it was as a kid when I went for lunch with some Lebanese friends. This recipe looks great, but 2lbs of sauerkraut, is that right? It seems a lot.

Thanks Adi for that recipe. I, too, love cabbage rolls. The best I ever ate were at a restaurant, Jamil's, in Tulsa, Ok. They were served as an appitizer along with thick sliced BBQ bologna. They were somewhat sweet, with maybe a hint of cinnamon or nutmeg? Have not been able to duplicate the taste. The sour cream sounds good. Is Jamil a Lebonese name ?

Having a Ukrainian grandmother, we always have cabbage rolls (along with perogies and borscht) with our Christmas turkey. Actually the cabbage rolls usually get gobbled up very fast while the turkey just sits there. My grandmother made them by the hundreds at a time. And there are never any leftovers. I can remember the first time I had Christmas dinner away from home how weird it felt that cabbage rolls were not on the menu.

I tried to cook them a few times but never mastered the art of cabbage rolls, even after my grandmother spent hours trying to teach me. Infinately patient, even she eventually gave up on me lol. Here is one recipe I did manage though for those who might like cabbage rolls, but are less than skilled at cooking. It's a lazy man cabbage roll recipe. Basically cabbage roll casserole. Tastes the same and easier to make. But I admit I perfer traditional recipes like the one adi posted that makes real "rolls."

This is a basic recipe, you can add other things to it such as bell peppers depending on taste. I usually preferred pork to beef but like both.

LAZY MAN'S CABBAGE ROLLS
    3/4 lg. head cabbage
    4 c. uncooked rice
    3 sm. onions, chopped
    2 lbs. ground beef
    2 tsp. salt
    1 1/2 tsp. pepper
    1/4 c. brown sugar
    2 qts. tomato juice
    4 c. water
    In a large roaster pan spread cabbage leaves across bottom of pan. Shred remaining cabbage. Add layer of rice, onions, ground beef. Repeat layers starting with shredded cabbage. Sprinkle with seasoning and brown sugar. Pour tomato juice and water over entire mixture. Cover tightly and bake at 325 degrees for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
    Last edited by orangejello; 12-08-2008 at 07:40 PM.

Thanks for the recipe - I love stuffed cabbage but in order to avoid actually stuffing the cabbage I found a recipe where you just chop the cabbage and cook all the ingredients as a casserole. Tastes almost as good. I'll dig it up and post it as soon as I get home.

Love stuffed peppers too!

I'm gettin hungry!

I love cabbage rolls too, yum! I'm excited to try OJ's recipe since I am usually too lazy to actually make the rolls. I'll definitely try Adi's too...I've never made rolls using sauerkraut (which I love)!

Thanks for the recipes!