Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help/Ideas to keep wafer sticking on skin

i use alcohol prep pad when my skin is occasionally oily

ok so that sounds like what i am not doing-being patient and sitting still for awhile. y'all are awesome. thanks!

I don't warm mine up prior to placing, nor sit around waiting afterwards. I use adhesive remover then skin prep, Never does it just fall off. I use Hollister wafers, also, not sure if it's the same # as yours though. Been doing this 10+ years. Sounds like you've got something strange going on, don't know what.

well until the last 2 wafers i have used i didnt have any problem. they dont just fall off but they start coming off at the top. i called hollister and they said maybe i had a bad batch so they are going to send me a new box. before these last 2 i was still in the beginning stages and moving slow anyway-now with the last 2 i remove one, put the other on then hop on the bed to get my pants on-which is a lot of rolling, pulling leg up etc. so i am pretty sure that isnt helping. i think on the days i change it i will put on my makeup etc while letting it sit and adhere. if that doesnt work i will then try doing it at night on the bed and just laying there but im not moving that area when i put on makeup so hopefully that will work. i use the new image wafers, you?

I am a coloplast man. And AMP patches. The real cadillacs in my mind are the Cymed products, but they are pricey.

I use Convatec Natura wafers, nothing special.
    they dont just fall off but they start coming off at the top.
    Do you mean the sort of tape that surrounds the actual brown, round part of the wafer? If so, that part doesn't stick well to me either, but the wafer itself doesn't come off because of it.

no the edges start coming undone and then it just gets a bigger gap. like the other morning my bag was empty-i had pink tape all over my stomach trying to keep the wafer on but the tape was starting to come off too-i get in the shower and when im getting out i look down and my bag is full of water-so it was gaping pretty badly. however, i did try this morning to be still longer and i think that seems to be helping-ill know by tomorrow.

If the seal isn't stuck, the tape doesn;t help much, but it is good to keep edges from peeling in the first place. Some people use a belt to help hold it on, but I don;t quite see how they would help.

I just realized how new this part is for you. It gets MUCH simpler, and you will figure out what works best. You may want to try some different brands of things too. Almost all of the companies will send out samples.

Arndog mentioned the ostomy forum, it has some good ideas.

And have you seen this site .... pretty covers for intimate moments. Myhearties

If you google ostomy lingerie, there are more companies too.
    Last edited by sjean423; 12-11-2008 at 08:15 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Amie,
    sjean is right that with time, you will know what works and what is a disaster, and which companies' appliances work best with your skin.
    Then you will be helping new people with their ostomy!
    Oh, BTW, look into Eakin Seals or Coloplast strip paste.
    And check out the UOAA discussion forum - good group of people - I swear I learned more from them than any ET nurse or GI surgeon... Thank you Internet....
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by summergirl89 View Post
    well until the last 2 wafers i have used i didnt have any problem. they dont just fall off but they start coming off at the top. i called hollister and they said maybe i had a bad batch so they are going to send me a new box. before these last 2 i was still in the beginning stages and moving slow anyway-now with the last 2 i remove one, put the other on then hop on the bed to get my pants on-which is a lot of rolling, pulling leg up etc. so i am pretty sure that isnt helping. i think on the days i change it i will put on my makeup etc while letting it sit and adhere. if that doesnt work i will then try doing it at night on the bed and just laying there but im not moving that area when i put on makeup so hopefully that will work. i use the new image wafers, you?
    I use the Hollister New Image wafers and bags (I especially like their bag that doesn't use a clip; it has some sort of velcro closure on it). I have tried the other popular appliances on the market (ConvaTech and Coloplast), but prefer the Hollister ones because the tape that's around their wafers sticks to my skin longer. This is good if you swim or, in my case, have a mitrofanoff stoma that leaks urine a lot and makes your belly wet.
    My GI surgeon suggested that I use an ostomy belt to force the stoma to stick out more, since mine is almost flush with my skin (despite a recent ileostomy revision). One thing I will warn you about the belts, though, is not to make them too tight. About a week ago, I overslept and was hurrying to get dressed and I just tightened the belt around my hips tightly without thinking. Later that night, I found a small pressure sore on one side of my hip from the belt being too tight. My ostomy nurse is looking into getting me a wide hernia ostomy belt to reduce this risk, since the ones she get's are custom made for the individual.
    Another thing you might try out is this stuff called "IleSorb packets". These packets have dry gel in them and when you put one in your bag after emptying it, whatever ostomy output hits the bag, it solidfies into soft gel, making a leak less likely to happen. I LOVE these things at night. Plus, they are not that expensive (I think they are about $20.00 a box). The Cymed company makes them and every so often you can find someone selling them on Ebay.

I also think you should check out the UOAA's discussion board. I learned a lot of stuff before my colectomy through them, so I wasn't as nervous when the big day came. You might also look on the UOAA's website for a list of ostomy support groups in your area. I go to one every other month and its great to get advice on stuff, get samples from different companies that visit, and get into on going to the UOAA Conferences.

Jessie
    Last edited by jessie.gray; 12-12-2008 at 12:37 AM.