Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help/Ideas to keep wafer sticking on skin

Quote Originally Posted by jessie.gray View Post
    I use the Hollister New Image wafers and bags (I especially like their bag that doesn't use a clip; it has some sort of velcro closure on it). I have tried the other popular appliances on the market (ConvaTech and Coloplast), but prefer the Hollister ones because the tape that's around their wafers sticks to my skin longer. This is good if you swim or, in my case, have a mitrofanoff stoma that leaks urine a lot and makes your belly wet.
    My GI surgeon suggested that I use an ostomy belt to force the stoma to stick out more, since mine is almost flush with my skin (despite a recent ileostomy revision). One thing I will warn you about the belts, though, is not to make them too tight. About a week ago, I overslept and was hurrying to get dressed and I just tightened the belt around my hips tightly without thinking. Later that night, I found a small pressure sore on one side of my hip from the belt being too tight. My ostomy nurse is looking into getting me a wide hernia ostomy belt to reduce this risk, since the ones she get's are custom made for the individual.
    Another thing you might try out is this stuff called "IleSorb packets". These packets have dry gel in them and when you put one in your bag after emptying it, whatever ostomy output hits the bag, it solidfies into soft gel, making a leak less likely to happen. I LOVE these things at night. Plus, they are not that expensive (I think they are about $20.00 a box). The Cymed company makes them and every so often you can find someone selling them on Ebay.

I also think you should check out the UOAA's discussion board. I learned a lot of stuff before my colectomy through them, so I wasn't as nervous when the big day came. You might also look on the UOAA's website for a list of ostomy support groups in your area. I go to one every other month and its great to get advice on stuff, get samples from different companies that visit, and get into on going to the UOAA Conferences.

Jessie
    Thanks Jessie & everyone. I just ordered yesterday GEL-X ABSORBENT TABELTS FOR USE IN OSTOMY POUCHES. SOLIDIFIES WASTE INTO GEL. Is that about the samething you mentioned?
    i changed my wafer yesterday and put the hairdryer on the new one for a few and then after i put it on i started drying my hair and doing my makeup since my lower body is pretty still during this time and then i jumped on the bed to get dressed where in the past i was putting on a new wafer and then immediately going to get dressed-lot of rolling and leg lifting. this new routine has so far seemed to help. day 2 and wafer is still sticking. i use the same bags as you. i dont drain them though. or not while they are on me. at home i have a small link chain that my dad attached to the ceiling over my toilet. at the end an S hook is attached. with the loop hooks in the bag i can hang the bag on the chain, use both hands to undo the velcro (was hard before b/c i am a quad & could hold the bag with one hand & undo the velcro with the other). once the velcro is undone is just goes straight into the toilet. i unhook it, wash it off with the shower, put soap in it and once that is rinsed out i put some white vinegar in a spray bottle and i spray that a few times and once it dries i have a reuseable bag.
    I always forget to check on ebay-thanks for the reminder & i will defintely look for a support group in my area!
    Amie

Wondering how you are making out. Since you mentioned "getting back in bed to get dressed" I am guessing you are showering in the morning, before changing the wafers? If so, you need to be sure you are super dry before putting it on. It is harder than you think to get dry enough.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I am prepared to have an ileostomy after being a quad for 38 years. I guess I have worn out my colon.
    Anyway, how often do you have to empty your pouch during the day? Do they make oversize pouches that will hold a days worth of "stuff"? How about overnight? Do you hook up to a overnight bag or must you empty it during the night?
    Please e-mail me. I have many questions.
    Hos55x@yahoo.com

Thank you
    Wayne

the Holilster website has videos, booklets and information on this and goes in to great detail. ww.hollister.com.
    also they will talk with you on the phone an dsend you free samples.
    Coloplast is another company.

CWO

Quote Originally Posted by Hos View Post
    I am prepared to have an ileostomy after being a quad for 38 years. I guess I have worn out my colon.
    Anyway, how often do you have to empty your pouch during the day? Do they make oversize pouches that will hold a days worth of "stuff"? How about overnight? Do you hook up to a overnight bag or must you empty it during the night?
    Please e-mail me. I have many questions.
    Hos55x@yahoo.com

Thank you
    Wayne
    With my ileostomy, I usually have to empty my pouch about 3 times a day (more if the output is all liquid). I don't know of any company that sells a pouch that will hold a day's worth of output. If you are worried about this, you might try using a colostomy irrigation pouch as a bag, because they hold more in them.
    As far as overnight, in the beginning, I was told to empty my bag at least once during the night, but I don't have to anymore. You can use the same bag for nighttime as you would for daytime. Hope all this helps you out! You might also want to go to www.uoaa.org and ask people on their discussion board about their ostomies.

Jessie

Re:Help/Ideas to keep wafer sticking on skin

I clean the skin around the stoma with plain shampoo. It doesn't leave a soap film on the skin. I always use Convatec Stoma paste. I put it on the wafer around the hole. When I push the wafer on, the Stoma paste will come out around the stoma and seal it. I don't eat for a few hours before changing the wafer, then I eat a large meal. It may put out a little for about five to ten minutes but will completely stop putting out while the body tries to digest the large meal. I can change the wafer without any output from the stoma. I change the wafer while standing so my skin is tight. If you put tape on tight skin it will flex when you bend. If you put tape on wrinkled skin it will come off when you stretch the skin. After I change the wafer I take a hot shower. My wafer will stay on seven days or more. I have an extremely physical job, I work out, race motorcycles, sky dive and other active sports without my wafer coming off.
    One thing that helps is I use two clips on the bottom of the bag (if you lose a clip there is another one to avoid a mess) I have a small slit on my underwear right over the leg elastic. I put one clip through the slit and the other out. This holds the bag, all the contents will go to the bottom of the bag instead of bunching up at the top and causing pressure on the wafer.
    My skin doesn't get irritated because the bag is outside of my underwear.
    I don't feel the bag or the weight of the bag.
    Best thing I ever did with it. I hope this helps.