Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ER visit gone bad

ER visit gone bad

I have been in terrible pain since October. I have another radiculopathy that has taken over my whole right arm, hand, chest and back. It is to the point where I am vomiting all the time. All I get from my regular doc is increase the meds you are already on. It has done no good. It has been more than a month with this level of pain. I couldn't take it anymore and went to the ER at Sacred Wallet. I get the doctor from hell. He asks what is wrong and I tell him. I am vomiting in the waiting room and also in the exam room from the pain. He gets five inches rom my face and says

What.Do.You.Think.We.Are.Going.To.DoFor.You???

I was shocked. I sit there listening to him yell at me for a second or two. He is repeating what do you want from us? I said I dont know medical care? Then I ask him to please leave the room and send in someone else. He just kept yelling at me. Then I got mad and I told him to just shut up and leave the room. All this time he is five inches from my face. So I then left the ER. I still have no help with this. What can I do now? I cant take this anymore. I feel shamed and embarrassed as well as in this awful pain now. How can they do this to people?

sorry you had such a bad experience. why was he yelling at you? I would have asked why you yelling at me? im sick!

I'm really sorry, Skippy. Something HAS to be done about the substandard medical care people are receiving in this country. I don't know how to fix it, but something has to be done. Is there another hospital you can go to...my only advice is to keep on trying to get help. It's hard to find good doctors...sometimes you have to go through A LOT of doc's to get a decent one.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    sorry you had such a bad experience. why was he yelling at you? I would have asked why you yelling at me? im sick!
    I couldnt think to ask him anything. I was in shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Danine View Post
    I'm really sorry, Skippy. Something HAS to be done about the substandard medical care people are receiving in this country. I don't know how to fix it, but something has to be done. Is there another hospital you can go to...my only advice is to keep on trying to get help. It's hard to find good doctors...sometimes you have to go through A LOT of doc's to get a decent one.
    It is the only place here. They have a total monopoly on health care in this town. I dont know how to fight.

On Monday morning call your doctor and tell him what happened. Try to get in to see him so you can get help.

Then call the hospital and find out an administrator to whom you can send a written complaint. Send a copy of the complaint to the Joint Commission on Accredidation of Hospitals (JCAHO). Send a written complaint about the ER doc to your state medical board as well. They are required to investigate all patient complaints but you'll need the doctors name. With his name, you can go to the website of your state medical board and get his license #. You'll need these for your letter. Why is this a good idea? Because he'll have to hire a lawyer to defend himself and if they find that he violated a standard of care he will have trouble ever getting another job and his insurance rates will go up.

Have you been to this ER alot? If so demand a copy of your medical record and see if they have flagged you with terms like "drug seeking", etc. You have a right to protest anything you disagree with in your records.

Be strong, don't let them get away with it.

It is completely unacceptable to be treated that way. Take cm's advice and exercise your rights. If more people reported abusive behavior like this these people would be weeded out of the healthcare system.

They know damn well that I am not a drug seeker. It is not the first time I have been treated so. I took a friend with me once and she was flabbergasted. These people simply refuse to treat me. I have always paid my bills and been polite to them. I do not go there repeatedly, but the urgent care clinic has been closed down and there isn't anywhere else to go. I tend to internalize and not fight back.

Sorry to hear you went through such a terrible experience skippy. I agree with cmoore and Jim. That was just wrong on so many levels...if you can't go to the ER for medical help, where the hell are you supposed to go? What a rude ass doctor - what ever happened to empathy for those who are suffering?
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Unbeleivable treatment. How callous, uncareing, rude and completely against his medical oath. Unfortunately dr's like that get entrenched in a spot and there long enuf, and in a small town," good ol' boys club is thicker than theives." ( In my Dr's words} I may have to go outside of Seattle to get away from this club in regards to a surgery snafu. Hope you write the letters, it's a small action, but if enuf do so they add up.
    I had a Dr ask me once if any Dr had ever told me that if I lost weight I might not have so much back trouble( I was 6'2" 225 lbs, and played basketball full court w/HS& college kids) My wife and dtr tore into him for insensitivety and not listening to me, so he wanted to give me shots for pain and go home. We said FU, I need treatment, he threatened cops, we threaten family lawyer, he does ct-mylogram, I get transferred to my neurosurgeons hosp, I get my broken back fixed. A-holes. I beleive he learned to listen to some people that day. Good Luck