Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The "Ethics" of AB's using the handicapped washroom

The "Ethics" of AB's using the handicapped washroom

This guy writes a weekly article on ethics. See 2nd Question: http://www.thestar.com/article/544941

Last week he espoused that it is perfectly acceptable for Ab's to use the disabled washroom / stall.

Is it? I always thought it was a faux pas... Perhaps this guy needs to be corrected.

Q: My church installed new washrooms to replace the cesspools we used to have. They are lovely, but I prefer the handicapped washroom because it offers more privacy. I'm not handicapped, so when I emerge I often get dirty looks. There's never anyone using the handicapped washroom, but still I feel guilty using it. Should I?

A: Nope. You don't need a sticker to use a handicapped washroom – if you did, I'm not exactly sure where you'd stick it.

The wheelchair symbol on a parking space has a specific meaning: "Reserved for people with a recognized disability." But that's the only place it has that meaning. On buildings, the wheelchair sign designates that the facility is suitable for use by persons with a disability – not reserved for such persons.

Modifying buildings to be "barrier-free" is expensive, so there's an important principle here. The expense is justified, in part, by the fact that many different kinds of people benefit from the changes. Parents with kids in strollers enjoy the ease of push-button doors and threshold-free passageways – and baby change tables are installed in "handicapped" washrooms because there's more room to use them. For many reasons, people may find an elevator easier than stairs. A good sound system benefits everyone, not just the hard of hearing.

If there's a lineup at the door of the barrier-free bathroom, let the nice lady in the wheelchair go first; you have more options than she does. Otherwise, feel free to enjoy a guilt-free moment without listening to the ruminations in the stall next door.

Send your questions directly to

Ken Gallinger at ethical@sympatico.ca.

I don;t have a problem w/ it, if the other stalls are all busy, but as soon as someone who NEEDS it enters, they should be next in line for it. What is annoying is waiting for someone to get out of the big stall, when the others are empty and available.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Another conundrum: In places where there are long lines for the restroom, such as at football games or concerts, do you wait in line with everyone else or go to the front and wait for the handicapped stall to be free? Waiting in line can result in an even longer wait, but I sometimes feel bad for cutting.

I don't have an issue with ABs using the handicapped stall unless it's obvious that someone else needs it.

I think it is OK. Unlike parking spaces, I think of the accessible restrooms as merely universal design. They can accommodate anyone but are reserved for nobody. Just like ramps.

If there were a line, common courtesy would be for ABs to let someone who needs the accessible space to take it. Just as accessible seating on buses can be used until there is someone with a need onboard.

They should, but they don't
    TH 12, 43 years post

I went to a department store in the mall the other day and the first thing I see is the baby changing table is in the hc stall. A lot of people see nothing wrong with using the hc stall as a family bathroom. It makes for some long waits sometimes and when time is of the essence....

My theory:

The builders always put them as the last stall. Most people wanting to take a crap want as much privacy as possible, even in a public restroom. Move the h/c stall to the first location and people would stop using them as much.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    My theory:

The builders always put them as the last stall. Most people wanting to take a crap want as much privacy as possible, even in a public restroom. Move the h/c stall to the first location and people would stop using them as much.
    That's a unique thought! lol I'll 2nd it.

Here it is the first room and then everybody tries that one first. Not a good idea
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
    In places where there are long lines for the restroom, such as at football games or concerts, do you wait in line with everyone else or go to the front and wait for the handicapped stall to be free?
    I never queue up for the bathroom. I can only use the accessible stall, so I go straight to the head of the line, period.

The fact that legally speaking anyone can use the accessible stall, doesn't change the fact that some of us need it. I believe there is an ethical point to be made here. It is no hardship for someone who doesn't need the stall to use another one. If it was really about universal access, then they would make all of the stalls accessible. They don't, so it is selfish and impolite for people who don't need the stalls to use them when they have other options.

C.